What I've broke ....

elops

I havent yet broken anything like a rod or reel but a mate broke my 3 year old berkley dropshot 1-3kg 8 inches down from the tip, was my first real plastics setup cork handles, a nice action and had a lot of sentimental value catching some good fish and squid. RIP.

Good idea for a thread!

[attachment=51016]IMGP0555.JPG[/attachment]

Certate 2500 main bearing, line roller bearing and drag washers. NOT replaced under warranty :( why have 7kg of drag on a reel if you cant apply it for a few hours :whistle:

Disappointing Daiwa didn't come to the party.

Couple of things i've broke.

first up a black diamond clearcut plus. Spewing cause these rods aren't made anymore and they were gems!!!

and a daiwa sol 2000. I'm assuming the handle stem got corroded in there somehow :pinch: and I ripped the handle off trying to get it out. Need to drill it out one day.

post-263-144598803559_thumb.jpg

post-263-144598803571_thumb.jpg

[attachment=51016]IMGP0555.JPG[/attachment]

Certate 2500 main bearing, line roller bearing and drag washers. NOT replaced under warranty :( why have 7kg of drag on a reel if you cant apply it for a few hours :whistle:

Disappointing Daiwa didn't come to the party.

The stem between the body and reel foot bent as well they replaced that under warranty but not thE bearings or drag washers :huh: bent the stem a second time and they fixed it again.

I seem to have a knack for breaking rods whether they're in my hand at the time or not so here's my list

1: Daiwa Interline TMZ, was in the rod locker on the boat when it tried to mate with a Seven Seas/Stella 20000 combo and it was a brutal affair that it lost ending up as a three piece rod. It got replaced under warrenty :whistle:

2: Daiwa Interline TMZ, saw some Longies in the bay whilst fishing from the yak one arvo off Cleveland Point and got close enough for a cast and its not an ideal rod for Longies especially in the yak but it's what I had on me at the time. Hooked a good fish and got towed around for an hour and a half had the fish by the tail at one stage but dropped it and later in the fight I was distracted by something and as the fish ran I let the rod smash the side of the yak and BOOM, the rod that got replaced above was now also a three piece.

3: Daiwa Heartland 701 HFS, it was sitting in the rod rack in the boat which sits close to the floor when a passing foot caught the lure that was attached bring the rod tip around and causing it to explode into about three pieces I think.

4: Lucky Craft Medium Drop Shot: Out the other Friday when I picked up a couple of Longies in the yak on another rod and couldnt use this one because when I cast it the top six inches or so clean broke off for some reason. It's getting repaired.

At the end of the day only one rod was actually broken due to my negligence B)

With this record do you reckon anyone would be keen to lend me fishing gear. :whistle:

Cheers

Mark

Ive broken a few rods over the years.

Broke 2 sharpshooters recently.. First one, while rigging up at the ramp on my mates boat, I had one of the hatches open and left my rod to lean against the boat and sort of under the hatch. Sure enough a gust of wind smashed it shut and the rod snapped :blush:

Second one was the best. After fishing a comp on the Goldy and having a shocking day. Boat almost caught on fire.. Had the rods laying along the deck one with a lure hanging off the tip. Went to jump out of the boat and the lure caught my jacket.. Heard a snap and out of the corner of my eye saw about a foot of sharpshooter flying off into the broadwater..

Suffice to say, it really topped off that day for me.

A memorable one would be my first soft plastics dedicated rod. About 7 years ago flicking landbased with a mate. We got bored and was trying to land a cast into a gap on a pontoon. After a fair few attempts I managed to land a lure in and while giving my mate a bit of sh!t I realised I was snagged. Loaded the rod up and SNAP. :S

A while later I had the rod sitting on some rocks and saw a crab grab part of the rod. Moved it away and it cut through the blank! So the rod was now a 3 piece.

Went to the store I bought it from and tried to explain to the guy that it originally broke from just loading the rod up.. the other break was from a crab.. :huh:

Bought a brand new crab pot, whent down to the well dropped it in, thought it will be ok :cheer: went on and fished for the day (got dinner) when i come back in the afternoon to retrieve the pot oops :whistle: :whistle: low tide pot high and dry. Got back to the boat ramp told a bloke its his when he comes back in the morning.Also broke my shimano graphite bait caster rod 2 eyes down bummer :evil:

1/ blew the engine in my 100 series land cruiser anzac day this year :evil:

2/ snapped my favourite very old wilson surf rod in 2 places casting of the rocks :(

3/ bent the prop on my boat :(

4/ gone through 5 cast nets :lol:

5/ i have also snapped the tip of my sons rod in the car door :lol:

6/ lost my good sunnies in the breakers while surf fishing :unsure:

• 4 weeks later...

I've always leaned toward 1 piece rods but brought in a nice 2 piece US 12' Daiwa Emcast I had been eying off for a while. As I usually do with new rods straight down the park to get a feel for it and find what weight works best for it.

A dozen casts in the top half flies off but is ok. Kick myself for not having waxed it and give it away for the day. Back the next day get down the park and a few casts in watch the rod partially uncouple again. Bugger didn't wax it did I. Ah well, perservered and just giving it a last few power casts when it happened, top end comes off in slow motion, spears into the ground and the top six inches snaps off. :blush:

No one to blame but myself.

ive done a power tip in the canopy frame throwing the canopy back when my daughter got a good fish on

lots of bearings on my old okuma baitrunner

my mates really old fiberglass rod his dad handed down to him i flicked a cast out and snappped the rod in half

several eyelits off most rods

my old 13 ft match rod i tried a pilly unweighted and snapped it in 2 first cast

i snapped a handle of a little 2500 shimano i had it resting on the jetty a fish hit the bait the rod started sliding i dove for it the rod stoppped moving i overshot and landed on it and flattend it

i pulled back on a snagged sinker really hard it let loose i put the sinker through the car door window

whilst cast netting one day the net snagged a sx40 sitting on the rod in a below gunnel side mount holder and neatly threw rod reel and all in the drink weirdly i got the lure back not the rod reel

ive lost dozens of cast nets over the yrs the best was a brand new cheapie i was practicing in the back yard with it the flat mates great dane walked past i saw a moving target launched a perfect cast straight over him old thor keeps walking straight through my net i had too laugh beats crying

Picking up my Saltiga 5000H from the post office today so will see what was replaced on that but there was WAY too much freeplay in the shaft.

Ummm main bearings on a Certate 2500R

Melted some reel spaces on a 3000 Certate trying to stop around 15 kilo of GT. Drag washers were shot after that to.

Roller bearings on 2 3000 reels to.

Bust a tip off my 701 Daiwa redback (replaced rod under warranty) then the replacement one bust off aswell.

That's all I can think of for now.

yep... woulda cried at the loss of the kingbolt.

And Elops - mate you destroy some high end stuff :D

Thankfully haven't broken too much at all and none recently (touch wood)... but have broken Raider snapper rod bottom half and the tip off a Lox Yoshi.

Snapped my first baitcaster outfit whilst bluing a solid Mary Cod. The combo (Quantam) only cost me $150.00 and was replaced under warranty, but still a bugger, as I lost the fish.

Thems the breaks (lol) though :P

post-5695-144598816334_thumb.jpg

My lovely wife also managed to break the tip on my favourite rod when I was teaching her how to bass fish.....just a cheap second hand thing, but I loved it some.

Finally, I broke the tip off my Shimano Sahara after tucking it into a backpack and attempting to ride out the front driveway, forgetting about the arch ha ha ha!!!!

All up, that is the limit of my breakages, hopefully no more to come.

Ryan.

• 4 months later...

Archived