Landcruiser vs Patrol

Aaron H

Hi guys well currently out at Injune working night shift looking to pass the time here with a freindly little debate with the 4wders among the site. The time has come for me to upgrade my super surf(Best beach vehicle ever but need more room) with something a little bigger, so it comes down to Landcruiser vs Patrol. Any feedback from both sides will be appreciated, I noticed quite a significant price difference with Toyota holding a much higher resale value. I am looking at late 90's to early 2000 models and notice the Patrol 3lts are quite cheap. Then I read about the 'grenade'motors in them. any thoughts ?

Dunno much about patrols, except my sister in laws diesel one chews more diesel than a mack truck.

But Toyota's, they have not made a decent one since the FJ45.

I'd be looking for something like a mitsubishi challenger, good honest work horses, well priced as well.

Ive a 3l patrol on an 05 plate loads of power towing good on fuel i looked at the cruser but you pay for the name on the bonnet i would definitely get another.They arnt the fastest on the road but thats not why we got a 4wd we have put 170k on it and on our 3rd set of tyres (just about ton put them on)and had to get the alternator rebuilt.

Dunno much about patrols, except my sister in laws diesel one chews more diesel than a mack truck.

But Toyota's, they have not made a decent one since the FJ45.

I'd be looking for something like a mitsubishi challenger, good honest work horses, well priced as well.

Don't know much about the challengers mate, are they much bigger than a surf?

also want to get away from IFS.

I have had both a 80 series and a patrol. I am sure you would be happy with either. The 80 was a 4.5L petrol running on gas so running cost worked out better than the 4.2 td patrol I have now. My old man has the 3 L patrol and apart from trashing the factory clutch moving his caravan around in high range has be great. They all have the short comings, 80 series snapped uni, broke trailing arm from diff twice but did work that car hard. Patrol dash bubbled up twice and colour on interior rubs off easy like xa fords 100 series weak front diff. As for which is better I will get the beer and popcorn and watch this debate roll on for ever.

cruiser has longer wheel base as a result can tow more from factory standard. really bad turning circle compared to other 4wds. Cruiser not as wide as the patrol.

patrol is wider better for toping larger tinnies.

Good move wanting to stay away from IFS.

theres heaps of talk going aroud about the 3l engines believe want you want,the 4.2 are by far the the best.I believe it is the 4.2ltr bad corbon emissions the reason there not still being produced, nissan improved and come up with the 3ltr.

I would try to pick up a gu nissan wgon body,they go for as little as 2k and have seen them as much as 5k for the body and fair condition running gear (wrecker jobs). buy a brand new duramax 6.6ltr diesel engine :woohoo: :woohoo:

now who has the toughest truck in town :whistle: :lol: :woohoo: :P

I own a 2000 GU patrol ute, its a 4.2 DX, tough as nails and an excellent work horse and goes hard off road fuel consumption is poor but that might have something to do with the 6 inch lift kit and bigger tyres :whistle: . Speed is non existent but for a ute it is relatively comfy, I to am looking at getting a wagon basically to setup as an overnighter/tourer and I will definitely get another patrol if it happens. My olds own a 3ltr patrol and can't fault it, its mainly a shopping trolley gutter jumper. And yes good idea about the IFS, I had a '97 SR5 Hilux that was independent and they are week as, any offroad trip and I was replacing parts in the front end. So yeah I am a bit bias towards patrols :evil:

I have a 2006 patrol 4.8 ltr petrol. It has plenty of power when running properly.

I have had a couple of issues with it but the most frustrating is the Nissian service centres that can not identify the problems or show any concern for finding them.

I have just done a search on google to find reveiws on Patrol dealers in Brisbane to see if i was alone. Unfortunately im not and none of the reveiws are flattering and a the same common theme.

To claim on the warrnty I purchased I have to go through a Nissan dealer.

I will not be buying another Nissan again because of the lack of back up service.

Saying that I had a Nissan Navara a long time ago and never had any problems.

cruiser has longer wheel base as a result can tow more from factory standard. really bad turning circle compared to other 4wds. Cruiser not as wide as the patrol.

patrol is wider better for toping larger tinnies.

Good move wanting to stay away from IFS.

theres heaps of talk going aroud about the 3l engines believe want you want,the 4.2 are by far the the best.I believe it is the 4.2ltr bad corbon emissions the reason there not still being produced, nissan improved and come up with the 3ltr.

I would try to pick up a gu nissan wgon body,they go for as little as 2k and have seen them as much as 5k for the body and fair condition running gear (wrecker jobs). buy a brand new duramax 6.6ltr diesel engine :woohoo: :woohoo:

now who has the toughest truck in town :whistle: :lol: :woohoo: :P

Now we are talking wonder how I could convince the wife of that one :woohoo:

Is it more seating room you are after or more stowage ? The 4 Runner will have way more stowage volume than either of the Patrol/Cruiser.

Both mate, plus I want to be able to lift it higher for more clearance than the Surfs IFS will allow unless I want to spend a fortune and convert to live axle.

More stowage in the 4 runner than the bigger rigs that concerns me :blink:

I think you need to work out whether you need to get away from ifs or not, if it is a beach vehicle mainly I'd be sticking with ifs for the comfort. The only way you will get more clearance under your diffs is with bigger tyres, that in turn is going to pretty much stuff any fuel economy the vehicle might have had. Patrol and Cruiser are both great rigs if you get a good one but if you get a bad one it will cost you a bomb to repair, and don't forget servicing costs will be much higher. If you want room the surf probably has more when the back seats are folded flat, and believe me you can get some brilliant clearance out of them, but like I said earlier it will stuff your economy if that concerns you. If it is just time to upgrade consider an 80 series cruiser with the factory turbo diesel in it and as late a model as possible, I reckon they're up there with the best cruisers put out, pretty sure there were a few issues but they should all be rectified by now under recall. BTW, you don't need to spend a fortune to get plenty of clearance out of an ifs 4runner/surf- ball joint spacers, wound torsion bars, 80 series springs and some big tyres will see you with over 4 inches of lift ;)

I have a 2006 patrol 4.8 ltr petrol. It has plenty of power when running properly.

I have had a couple of issues with it but the most frustrating is the Nissian service centres that can not identify the problems or show any concern for finding them.

I have just done a search on google to find reveiws on Patrol dealers in Brisbane to see if i was alone. Unfortunately im not and none of the reveiws are flattering and a the same common theme.

To claim on the warrnty I purchased I have to go through a Nissan dealer.

I will not be buying another Nissan again because of the lack of back up service.

Saying that I had a Nissan Navara a long time ago and never had any problems.

Whats the dramas with your troll? Have a 4.8 also and love it ! ;)

I think you need to work out whether you need to get away from ifs or not, if it is a beach vehicle mainly I'd be sticking with ifs for the comfort. The only way you will get more clearance under your diffs is with bigger tyres, that in turn is going to pretty much stuff any fuel economy the vehicle might have had. Patrol and Cruiser are both great rigs if you get a good one but if you get a bad one it will cost you a bomb to repair, and don't forget servicing costs will be much higher. If you want room the surf probably has more when the back seats are folded flat, and believe me you can get some brilliant clearance out of them, but like I said earlier it will stuff your economy if that concerns you. If it is just time to upgrade consider an 80 series cruiser with the factory turbo diesel in it and as late a model as possible, I reckon they're up there with the best cruisers put out, pretty sure there were a few issues but they should all be rectified by now under recall. BTW, you don't need to spend a fortune to get plenty of clearance out of an ifs 4runner/surf- ball joint spacers, wound torsion bars, 80 series springs and some big tyres will see you with over 4 inches of lift ;)

Not just beach work like to go tracks as well mate and don't get me wrong, I love the surf its a KZN130 and she goes well offroad (apart from damn sway bar brackets, The fourby wreckers at Archerfield no exactly what I am chasing everytime I am in their) But its ticked over to the 300,000 km mark and starting to get a bit of blow back, so guessing rebuild will have to happen sooner or later and the bodies been used and abused to warrant the cost.

When I fly back to Brissie for R&R have a 2000 Patrol I am going to check out, 3lt and has had a rebuild with all the extras to try and eliminate the grenade problem such as Davwes boost control valve, EGR gauges etc so might go to the 'dark side' ha ha.

Would love an 80 series though but they hold their value. Still fetching over $20000 with over 400,000 km on the clock on carsales :blink:

Yep fair enough Aaron, can't believe you've still got the swaybars on it though :ohmy: removed mine and it made zero difference on road so figured it was worthwhile. The 80's do hold their value and can be a ripoff but occasionally you see one pop up that is a decent buy. Nothing wrong with going to the dark side mate :lol: one of the best fourbies going as long as the motor is right, have you thought of trying to find a good 4.2 GQ? Little bit boxy but other than that damn brilliant offroad.

Funny you say that mate just looking at one on Carsales now 94 model,3inch susp lift two inch body lift, running 35inch muddies, 4.2 turbo diesel and auto, they want $15000, a bit pricey for that year but it looks the goods, got lockers and all the goodies as well, just over 200,000 on the clock. Fuel doesnt worry me to much as I am only home to use it one week in 3, wife might not like the box shape but its my toy not hers ha ha :evil: God I could have some fun in that. :P

Archived