Is camping on Wavebreak Island legal?

bootyinblue

I can only assume its not.......

28 February 2013

Good Morning,

Thank you for your enquiry regarding Wavebreak Island. Wavebreak Island is owned by Queensland Government, however camping is illegal and the police enforce the law regarding this.

Kind Regards

Emily

Contact Centre Consultant

Customer Contact

Gold Coast City Council

Ph: 1300 MY GCCC (1300 69 4222) Overseas: +61 7 5582 8211 Fax: (07) 5581 6346

PO Box 5042 Gold Coast Mail Centre Qld 9729

www.goldcoastcity.com.au

they dont enforce it yes they state its illegal to camp on the island but turn a blind eye to it per say at the socials water police drive past shining torches on the bank and on boats but thats as far as it goes. and i do alot of work for the epa and brenden yetmen who is 2ic of epa i have asked the same question regarding camping on the island and he also said you are not allowed to camp on the island but it is not enforced as it is so well used by people they just leave it be

cheers nick

You didnt find out when you camped there yourself during the last flathead social did you Booty how does the police force stand on that when you who must uphold the law brakes it, I would say what you are doing here is a bit hypocritical, your a joke when will you leave it alone

:angry: stop it. Greg - we get the point technically it shouldn't be done. Everyone is aware of it, they are adults and can choose to continue or not.

no point in repeatedly bringing it up.

in future I will just delete.

EDIT

Been talking to Greg about this and I think it's only fair to put this up for him to defend himself on the call that he has stayed over.

'For the record, I have never camped on Wavebreak Island, and only called past there on one occasion to speak to a number of people. I simply do not want to see younger members of the site whipped into a frenzy of a 'she'll be right mate' attitude and participate in an activity that is not only illegal but should not be condoned by AFO according to their site rules

So.. ladies and gents. You have been warned. Camping on Wavebreak island is illegal and AFO warns anyone against it (we do not condone illegal activities)... however - it is legal to be on the island for social reasons, just sleep on your boat for the night like a lot of other boats that moor in the area.

Archived