Longtail curse broken!

sehrguht

So yesterday my boss told me to make some plans as the site was too wet for excavation. I had been planning a trip to the inside of moreton for a bit as I have seen and done a lot in the southern bay but not much up further.

So at 5am I was at scarborough ramp and launched in fair conditions until halfway out in the bay it was a little sloppy.

It was lucky that there was some light as the western banks were very shallow and I had to drive to a slightly deeper section to get through them.

Got over to once of the beacons near Curtin and I proceeded to jig heaps of yakkas a few slimies and pilchards also. Then my bait jig got smashed and half of it was gone about 2metres under the boat. I grabbed a rod rigged for livebait with a big gun 5/0 on it and dropped a yakka in letting him swim down then clicked the baitrunner on and sat it in the holder. Id just finished tying a bait jig on and the baitrunner screamed for help.

I messed the strike up big time but somehow remained hooked up to the fish.

Then I spent a solid 20mins playing tug of war with a beast of the deep gently idling towards it and eventually after many solid runs placed a solid gaff shot on a 24kg LONGTAIL.

Couldn't believe that i had finally nailed one, and a 135cm one at that.

Pretty excited i took some pictures and proceeded to bleed it out. I saw a boat at curtin so throttle down to get there quick and get some pictures. They were a bit off put at first but once they saw the fish they were happy to take some pics.

post-5575-144598973103_thumb.jpg

post-5575-144598973118_thumb.jpg

After that was dealt with and some of the blood mopped away I kept going and got another 10 or so livies trying to concentrate on the denser clumps which seemed to be the pilchards.

Back to curtin and anchored up ahead of some good shows I deployed the livies one deep and one shallow and floatlined the fresh pilchards out.

First bait was a nice 40cm snap. that continued till i had my bag in pretty short amount of time. I continued feeding them and catching a bunch more till i got low on livies and figured i should get home quick so i have enough time to fillet the beast before dark.

One last drift scored a sweet 55cm fish, a good way to end the day. Had a fairly easy run home with all the banks covered by high tide and pretty smooth most of the way.

post-5575-144598973127_thumb.jpg

Filleted all the catch and sent some big chunks of tuna to my girlfriends family which they loved. Ate a bunch of it last night and it was delicious in thick steaks on the bbq.

Good to have a longtail under my belt now. Keen to get one on a lure now!

Cheers.

Awesome longie Jeremy and to get one like that for your first is fantastic. I got my first and only one last year around Peel, it was 11.6kg and from memory 113cm so yours makes it look small!!!!!

Another tip for eating it is with a little olive oil, seasoning and thyme quickly seared on the griddle pan or BBQ. Can also make some yummy tartare with it using different flavour ideas (asian, middle eastern, french, etc) if you still have some unfrozen. Either way, it's one very yummy fish and you'll be eating it for a while!!!!

Ill be eating it for a few days.. haven't frozen any yet. crazy how much weight they gain in 20cm difference.

Jarryd: No sashimi for me I don't get into that haha I'm fine with pink in the middle but pink all over not so much.

I was like that at first too man, But once you get the taste for it, its amazing. I really like it dipped in a mixture of soy and rice wine vinegar. mmmmmmm

Ill be eating it for a few days.. haven't frozen any yet. crazy how much weight they gain in 20cm difference.

Jarryd: No sashimi for me I don't get into that haha I'm fine with pink in the middle but pink all over not so much.

I was like that at first too man, But once you get the taste for it, its amazing. I really like it dipped in a mixture of soy and rice wine vinegar. mmmmmmm

....... and WASABI!!!!!!!!

What a cracker of a fish, well done what a way to open the account!!

I'm salivating thinking of sashimi off that myself, I knocked it for years, but dipped in soy and wasabi it's hard to go past and your brain quickly learns mind over matter.

Archived