STATE of ORIGIN 2014

Gad

Game ONE Suncorp Stadium Wednesday, May 28. Kick Off 8:05PM

world sport’s most anticipated forgone conclusion… State of Origin 2014, Qld 9 in a row :woohoo: :lol:

Queensland squad:

Billy Slater, Brent Tate, Greg Inglis, Justin Hodges, Darius Boyd, Johnathan Thurston, Cooper Cronk, Matt Scott, Cameron Smith, Nate Myles, Chris McQueen, Matt Gillett, Corey Parker. Interchange: Daly Cherry-Evans, Aidan Guerra, Ben Te'o, Josh Papalii. 18th man: Will Chambers. 19th man: Jake Friend.

And now the other lot... Looks like they've selected based on current form which is different..

NSW TEAM:

Jarryd Hayne — Parramatta Eels

Brett Morris — St George Illawarra Dragons

Josh Morris — Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs

Michael Jennings — Sydney Roosters

Daniel Tupou — Sydney Roosters

Josh Reynolds — Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs

Trent Hodkinson — Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs

Aaron Woods — Wests Tigers

Robbie Farah — Wests Tigers

James Tamou — North Queensland Cowboys

Ryan Hoffman — Melbourne Storm

Beau Scott — Newcastle Knights

Paul Gallen — Cronulla Sutherland Sharks ©

Trent Merrin — St George Illawarra Dragons

Anthony Watmough — Manly Warringah Sea Eagles

Luke Lewis — Cronulla Sutherland Sharks

Tony Williams — Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs

Wonder if Farrah will cry again this year when they lose??

Daley leaving Mitchell Pearce out, is a poor decision.

I`m of the opinion that, in the 11 SOO games he played, Pearce was very unlucky not to be named Qlds` most valued player in at least 9 of those games. :P

Form and combinations by the look. Good team on paper, but while Qld has JT, Smith, Inglis and Slater in the same team the cockroaches will struggle to win a series. Too much class, consistency and experience. Can't wait to get one of those XXXX cans with 9 Xs on it to go with last year's model. :cheer:

Bring it on! :woohoo: :woohoo:

Lets hope there hearts are still big and age does not weary them. Go Queensland

Dino

The way the Qld reps with the Cowboys went about their SOO warm up game against the Roosters on Saturday night, it did not look like any heart or age concerns will be holding them back. :)

Qld might be lucky to score a point. A dangerously excellent defensive team. Hope my nervousness is unwarranted in the end. :unsure:

Yes extremely good defence selection of individuals who are capable of quickly turning their defence into offense.

Qld will find Reynolds & Hodkinson (if they do not suffer Maroonitis :evil: ) more difficult to isolate and choke into rushed decisions, if the halves pairing is allowed space to work,the blues have reliable go forward and speed out side of them,.

(yesterdays news) SOO games at Suncorp are usually sold out within days of tickets going on sale.

This year Game 1 at Suncorp Stadium is the 100th SOO game, the QRL appears to want a financial bonus this game and are struggling to sell out the stadium

The cheapest, bronze category tickets valued at $80 have sold out.

Only gold $250 and silver $220 category tickets are still available.

Mal and Wally have their say:
/>https://au.sports.yahoo.com/league/news/article/-/23668860/maroons-coach-mal-meninga-attacks-price-hike-for-origin-tickets/

Right, time to see if an old bearded ranga friend of mine is still frequenting this forum (he won't have understood the 'f' word ....) .............................

They said in the paper today that Gallen labelled Qld supporters as 'two heads' at a team function yesterday - I always thought Dazza went for Caaarrrrllllllttttoonnnnnnnn ...........?? :silly:

The great thing about the Blues team is, each player running into ‘The Cauldron’ on Wednesday night knows even if they win, they may not be there for game 2 :lol:

The NSW 6s & 7s that have been present for Qlds run to 9 in a row

Full story: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-05-26/state-of-origin-blues-playmakers-at-sixes-and-sevens/5477902?section=sport

Josh Reynolds and Trent Hodkinson selected for State of Origin game one 2014 are the 16th and 17th players the Blues have used in the vital half-back and five-eighth positions since the start of the 2006 series.

By the end of the '07 series, three five-eighths and four half-backs had taken their turn. In '08, two more half-backs had a go before '09 saw the last of the debutant sevens until Hodkinson this year.

The five-eighth spot on the other hand, has seemingly been in a constant state of flux. Two players got a run in '09, another in '10, and one was blooded each year from ’11 to ’13 before they picked Reynolds last week.

Braith Anasta (2006 - I, II; 2007 - I, II; 2008 - III)

Brett Finch (2006 - I, II)

Mark Gasnier (2006 - III)

Craig Gower (2006 - III)

Jarrod Mullen (2007 - I)

Brett Kimmorley (2007 - II, III; 2009 - III, 2010 - I)

Greg Bird (2007 - III; 2008 - I, II)

Peter Wallace (2008 - I, II; 2009 - I, II)

Mitchell Pearce (2008 - III, 2010 - II, III; 2011-2013)

Terry Campese (2009 - I)

Trent Barrett (2009 - II, III; 2010 - II, III)

Jamie Lyon (2010 - I)

Jamie Soward (2011)

Todd Carney (2012)

James Maloney (2013)

Hey Gallen (or is that Millilitre ....), I've got two heads alright, I seem to bl00dy grow one each time my team wins 4 straight Origin series. I have an inkling I may be starting to grow another ............

Can't wait for Wed - first game for me in 3 years due to not being able to get tickets so suspect my voice might be a bit 'gravelly' at work on Thurs ............

Hey Gallen (or is that Millilitre ....), I've got two heads alright, I seem to bl00dy grow one each time my team wins 4 straight Origin series. I have an inkling I may be starting to grow another ............

Can't wait for Wed - first game for me in 3 years due to not being able to get tickets so suspect my voice might be a bit 'gravelly' at work on Thurs ............

Ended up with some tickets thanks to a friend of a friend who got in early but now can't make it. My first for about 5 years, so looking forward to it as well, Kelvin. Suspect that my voice might be the least of my health worries on Thursday. :P

for those south of the border it`s that time of year again, Origin pre kick off`s ‘why we can`t win’, if we don`t win.

If it`s not the refs, then it`s the failure of the yearly nominated one man saviour :)

NSW Blues primed for harsh treatment from referees in State of Origin opener

/>http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/nsw-blues-primed-for-harsh-treatment-from-referees-in-state-of-origin-opener-20140527-zrpry.html

State of Origin: NSW hopes rest on Jarryd Hayne's head and shoulders
/>http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/state-of-origin-nsw-hopes-rest-on-jarryd-haynes-head-and-shoulders-20140527-zrpih.html

but, you also have the one down south that does recognise the real deal :P

/>http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/queenslands-state-of-origin-report-card-20140519-zrhql.html

Fullback: Billy Slater. Automatic selection and one of the best No.1s the game has seen. Hitting form at the right time. A+

Wings: Darius Boyd, Brent Tate. Boyd has been struggling for the Knights but finds another leg for Queensland. Tate is just a rock who always takes his game to new levels in Origin. B+

Centres: Greg Inglis, Justin Hodges. Big, fast, slightly scary and big-game performers time after time. Hodges has only been back for a bit over a month and has quickly found top form. Greg Inglis is Greg Inglis. A+

Halves: Johnathan Thurston, Cooper Cronk. Yet again, the Maroons have the luxury of picking the two best candidates in the game to fill the six and seven. Both guns, both playing very well indeed. A+

Front row: Nate Myles stamped his authority on Origin last year, while Cam Smith and Matt Scott were surely two of the first names picked. Hard to find fault here. A+

Back row: Matt Gillett deserves his starting spot for the injured Sam Thaiday but coach Mal Meninga could yet tweak that on game day. Chris McQueen has had an on-and-off season while Corey Parker is one of Brisbane's best week after week. B+

Interchange: NSW would swap half their side for Daly Cherry-Evans. Queensland have managed to pick him on the bench. He's the ultimate utility man. Ben Te'o provides plenty of punch and physicality, Aidan Guerra is the rookie and Josh Papalii has a bit to prove but is very tough. B

Tonight was my first game in 3 years (due to not being able to get tickets). When I got off the train at Roma St and went up to KFC in the food court I could smell complacency in the air - not one Queenslander chant to be heard (I kept thinking back to my Uni days when we went beserk). Went to the Caxton, easily got to the bar for a beer when previously we always had to push our way through. Spent about 45 mins there and don't think I heard a Qlder chant once. Got to the stadium - we were on level 7 and remarked to a couple of guys at the bar as I lined up for some beers that I could sense complacency in the air. Myself and my 3 mates got stuck into the game and did our bit to fire up the crowd but obviously to no avail. After the game - I don't remember Qld crowds being so jovial and un-worried after a loss. Obviously I hope we get back on top in Game 2 - I hope we haven't got so used to winning that we develop the attitude that losing the first game is OK because we will probably win the next two. I obviously hope we win the next two (and believe we can) but once you lose the first game in a 3 game series you really are walking the tightrope.

Anyway, enough Bundy Rum induced dribble from me. Fingers crossed a loss brings out the best not only in our players but also our supporters - I'd like to see a few more years of dominance!!!! QUEENSLANDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was a good game

Blues played the full 80 mins and deserved the win.

Maroons played well the first 20 mins but let it slip after Cronk broke his arm. Made a great return with 30 Mins left and played to the whistle.

Most involved player for the Maroons would have to be Nate Myles, he was constantly in on every 2nd or 3rd tackle.

Look forward to game two

post-10385-144599050962_thumb.jpg

Can not take anything away from NSW and their win. They played to that team`s ability. A Game 1 win at Suncorp Stadium would be a dream come true for them.

Qld on the other hand did not play to the teams ability, the opportunities were there.

The loss of Cronk certainly hurt, much of this teams game plans revolve around his,positional kicking game, the ability to shut down opposing halves,on field positional changes for set plays and often the interchanges.

Cherry-Evans natural style of play is different, coming on in those circumstances with this team was a big ask.

And yes Thurston`s kicking in this game

The good thing for Qld for game 2 is: Qld did not play to their full abilities in game 1.

Brutal Origin injury toll
/>http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8852115

From my view in the nosebleed section behind the posts, I would have to agree with Gad that Qld had a bit of improvement in them while the blues probably played as well as they can. Much like last year really. How gutting would it have been for the blues if Qld had scored after the siren like they have done in the past. Can't wait for the rest of the series.

Coming from south of the border, I thought this was a fair summary.

State of Origin winners and losers
/>http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/state-of-origin/state-of-origin-winners-and-losers-20140529-zrrag.html

and to be fair one from the mouth of the south,: Rothfield must have been suffering from shell- shock with NSW winning game 1, normally he`s quite insulting about anyone wearing Maroon after any origin game :lol:

Paul Gallen survives Papalii’s dog shot as Blues claim impossible victory
/>http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/whats-the-buzz-paul-gallen-survives-papaliis-dog-shot-as-blues-claim-impossible-victory/story-fni3fh9n-1226935152467

Archived