November - Whiting general chat

James W

I didn't even realise it was whiting this month. I just got home from an unsuccesfsful whiting on popper mission at nudgee beach. It was already my next goal to get a whiting on a popper so this fits in perfectly.

Do I get an extra 2cm bonus to my fish if it is caught on a popper?? :laugh:

:woohoo: I think a good thing to put in this post would be Size and Bag limits for Whiting.

Anyone???:huh:

I promised my wife and Kids a fishing trip this Sunday, I know what I'm going to be targeting now;) Should be good fun for the kids too. I'll give them small long shank hooks with Squid for bait...Me I'll be using worms or yabbies:P

And maybe throw a livie on a Snelled rig to see whats about:blink:

Jayson

Summer whiting are found all year round on sandflats and adjoining weed beds, where they take worms, yabbies and soldier crabs. They are best targeted using light lines and can be caught in large numbers when schools are located. They grow to approximately 1.25 kg and there have been specimens recorded at 50 cm. They are an excellent angling species and fight hard when hooked.

Winter or trumpeter whiting are more commonly caught in the cooler months, although they can be found all year round. Catches of 100-150 fish are not uncommon when the fish are on, and they are caught using worms or squid for bait. They are a smaller species than the summer whiting, with an average size around 20 cm. Both species are excellent table fish and are keenly sought by recreational fishers.

Whiting (golden lined and sand)Summer Whiting 23 min No limit

The difference between the two is that winter whiting have what look to be \"blotches\" brown marks to the side of the body and summer whithing do not.

Summer whiting are generally bigger in size and have a distinct yellow fin.

Pics here: http://www2.dpi.qld.gov.au/fishweb/2827.html

faulked wrote:

you could try a soft plastic worm on a normal bait rig that could be a killer anyone know what berley would work on whiting

Yeah on our honeymoon we caught plenty of whiting. A few of them were on GULP bloodworms and GULP turtle back worms. This worked especially well in the surf as the whiting as far less spooky there.

Angus

Archived