Belated Awoonga Report

Schultzy

I just couldn't let the AFO barra hunters have all the fun so while on a central QLD tour with a couple of great mates from NSW we called in to Awoonga for a couple of days while the AFO crew were there.

Unfortunately I didn't get to chat to any other AFO members but did snap some pics of Lee and Terry (I think). Hey guys the bloke in the white tinny taking piccies with the long lens on Wed arvo was me.B)

To keep it brief I guided my two crewies, (one who'd never seen a barra before) around the lake on Wed morning, Wed arvo and Thurs morning. I did manage to flick a few casts around and score a few barra for myself though. We landed 14 barra to 114cm and jumped off another half a dozen or so.

Each of my crewies also managed to get smashed up by some XOS sized barra in the sticks (as you do).

After leaving Awoonga we cruised around the Dawes ranges & dropped the boat into Cania, but that's another story.;) [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/IMG_5884_afo.jpg

post-108-144598431115_thumb.jpg

On you Schultzy 14 Barra, that's fantastic.

Man I must be doing some realy wrong. :blush: OH well next time you go I'll be following you up and down the lake like a sucker fish.

I love the shot of the bloke with the snowy beard. He has the \"barra smile of satisfaction\" on the dial and with good reason.

Brian,

We didn't get any of our fish trolling the open water or around the birds (we did try). Figured it was a little too early in the season for that to be firing. Fished around weed beds in moderate depths about 4m and used std Vipers fished short to keep running depths to around 3.3m. Caught lots of weed but it was worth the frustration. Also picked up some nice fish casting Sandvipers in bays and around shallow weeds on dusk and just after dark.

That bewhiskered fellow is Kevin Clark & he always photographs well. If you were reading fishing mags in the eighties you'd have seen his face on the cover numerous times with impressively large riverine bass and impoundment goldens. He was one of the founders of Downunder Lures and worked with NSW Fisheries on the breeding program for Eastern Freshwater Cod.

This is what he looked like in those days. [img size=468]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/IMG_3683_afo.jpg

post-108-144598431134_thumb.jpg

Schultzy wrote:

Brian,

We didn't get any of our fish trolling the open water or around the birds (we did try). Figured it was a little too early in the season for that to be firing. Fished around weed beds in moderate depths about 4m and used std Vipers fished short to keep running depths to around 3.3m.

(Me too but didn't do too well. I tried the normal vipers, ecogear floaters, poppers and rapala xrap 12's.)

Caught lots of weed (me too) but it was worth the frustration (not for me.) Also picked up some nice fish casting Sandvipers in bays and around shallow weeds on dusk and just after dark. (I threw my arm around every shallow bay I could find, Usualy took me about 2 hours to work a bay fully. I know I missed the best time but I was there for the peak as well.)

That bewhiskered fellow is Kevin Clark & he always photographs well. This is what he looked like in those days. [img size=468]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/IMG_3683_afo.jpg

:kiss: :P Spunk:blink:

Yeah, the weedbeds were working well as you found out.

I wish I knew that was you mate, thought you were another boaty captivated at the sight of a Kayak fishing for barra at Lake Awoonga.

Btw, that Cajun stuff is pretty neat. I remember Brian and Feral harping on about how it ties so well.

Schultzy wrote:

Yes Brian,

Had red nylon leader on one rod and clear fluorocarbon on the other. Didn't make a zot of difference to strike or hookup rates.

Me too - 50lb fluro and 60lb red stuff on the other. 1st hook up was on red stuff. It made a zot of difference to me, but I didn't get 14 fish.:blush:

Terry,

Did you see the fellow in the grey Hobie at Awoonga? He is from Bundy and goes up for the Lions comp every year.

My crew were a little concerned when I tied on the red leader but they soon lost their misgivings when the barra started flying out of the water on their lures. One of these days I'll remember to get into the water and snap some shots of the red line at various depths to see how visible it is. Mind you that may not mean much as human eyes won't perceive the underwater world in the same manner as piscean eyes.

Yes Lee it was me but with the Adaptacap, sunnies and camera in front of the face I'm good at remaining anonymous.

The Kayaks were a dead giveaway that you were AFO members but I'm not sure if I saw any others on the water. I did see a white polycraft. Was that someone we know?

Archived