somerset cod hunt

James W

well....aint fishing expensive:P ..i have never lost so many lures in one day..my tackle back is now in the bin!:P ...met up with aaron bout 3 am..and we were on the water on dawn...the dam looked beautiful at that time of day...he were in search of the Mary River cod...we headed out to a area that we were told that if we put in time and effort we just might..just might see one...we trolled around some awesome snags for a while with no luck..but we knew we had to pateint..so we trolled for a bit longer checking out some likley snags to have a cast at...so after a little while we picked out a snag to tie up to began to throw all we had at the surrounding snags while we had some live baits out too (shrimp+yabbies)...spinnerbaits,sps.boomerangs,everything bar my car keys! were thrown at or on and wrapped around in my case:blush: at the snags....i didnt see him tie it on but Aaron flicked out a Gvibe out to the weedbanks to our left and was hit by a freight train....after a mammoth battle in and around the snags up came Aaron's pb bass! welcome to the 50+ club Aaron!...but i thought were after cod i thought:P ...nah well done Aaron that was a beast!...so meanwhile while we were getting ready to take a pic of his bass Aaron's live shrimp went off...this was looking good!...a nice little yella was anded and flicked back ..and a few pics were taken of the bass and it was calm again...till Aaron snuck another flick in with the Gvibe!..i thought we were after cod?:P ...another bass was landed!..not a 50 but it went like a demon...meanwhile i was losing a lure every 5 minutes!:blink: ...now that aaron had fished out that area we bashed snags here and there..and to tell you the truth i was feeling really dejected, i had given up on putting my lures in the danger zone and i downsized in hope of getting \"any\" fish...finally i had a yella smack my spinnerbait boatside and i was happy:) ...so we bashed more snags..took a walk casting from a bank and droped a few here and there....so heading back to the ramp we fished a rocky steep bank and first cast with a stumpjumper i was on!...lost!:S ..2 more casts later i was on again!...goit the bass almost boatside saw a flash and it spat it too!:S ....Aaron with his\"cod\" lure:P the Gvibe was slammed and after a awesome fight he landed another 50+ bass!....he was stoked!..i was jealous:P ..then out of nowhere the wind came up..and we went home..phew..long day..sunburnt..tired...sorry if i forgot anything Aaron..... thanx heaps for taking me out today mate..i had a ball watching you catch all the fish:P ..when i get my boat fixed up its my turn to return the favour..cheers mate;)

aaron hooked up to a beast bass [img size=448]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/PB100123.JPG

post-180-144598431755_thumb.jpg

It was a good day, christ we put in some hours in my little tin can (not the most comfortable boat in the world) pity we couldn't raise a cod. Had a couple of interesting moments trying to take a shortcut we ended up in less than a foot of water and had to navigate our way out with the oars, when reading the somerset mapo my only advice is to take into consideration the water is a lot lower than what the map refers to:blush: Also ended up getting stuck on a tree branch under the water that neither of us saw, was not looking good(looked like I was going to have go for a swim to push us off) until the mighty yammy kicked us off, lucky we hit it only on electric power or we could of ended up in a bit of strife. Top end of Somerset is awesome country, full of snags and looked cod country, oh well maybe next time.

Oh by the way the last bass went 52.5cm :woohoo: and the first one was about a cm smaller

Jimmybob, Disappointed for you.

I'm lead to believe Glenlyon is producing some cod lately. It's at least an overnighter, but how desperate are you to turn your dream into reality ?

Coolmunda may even produce if the rains flowed in, and it's a nice easy drive to it too. Only an hour or so past Warwick.

Aaron,

Stonker Bass. Love the shot of the rod action. It'd take a good cod to better the fight I imagine.

Good report Jimmy. Thanks for making me feel better, Aaron always out fishers me so I don't feel too bad now. :P Now you know why I asked him to join the Chilly's. You didn't poach him did you?:S

Congrates Aaron 2 50+ in a session. ;) That's cool well done, can't call it luck mate, you do it too often.

Chin up Jimmy, one little yellow less a few lures plus mega hours of travel and fishing = a good day out.:)

I tell you what I am paying for the 9 hours in the tinny today, sunburnt, lower back aches. Would I do it all again today....absolutely:lol: .

Seriously, I need to invest in some seats with backrest though I think, off to Bias this morning when it opens, then tackleworld, BCF, and Amart, Kingston and Compton rd Underwood are very expensive streets for me:blush:

Yeah mate I here ya except I'm not always skipper in my boat (Missus likes to drive when only using electric) I don't know if I have the room to put in the seats as I got that stupid middle bench which i want to take out but have been advised not to (part of buoyancy or something.

But I'll look around anyway and no doubt buy 50 things which I had not intention of buying in the first place (Brian you have taught me well;) )

Archived