Caboolture river bass

Cando

Does any1 fish the caboolture river (freshwater)for bass?? I'm LB... Just wanted somewere close to fish on the way home from work in the arvo's.. What sp's work? or should i be throwing poppers/hb's?? colours... I have a good slections of sp'and hb's for breaming.. Do i work them the same as i would for bream?? Just looking for a starting point...

thanks for any help

Noel

surface lures can work good and its great to see a bass following on the surface and litlle hard body divers that u would use for bream can work best at times and all differant colours can work best at times and u have to cast it right next to the snag most hits or hookups you would get will be around 1m or so from the snag and not sure bout bass population in cabooluture

and little squidgie bugs are spostu work good for them with a resin head on so site just below surface or worm hook so just swims along the surface

6lb mono, Plastics - kokoda mad shads in 50mm orange work well in there.

Hard bodies, and minnow around the 60 - 70mm mark diving to 2m (no more, its shallow). But plastics are easier lots of weed beds at differing depths.

Park at the lakes and work your way upstream, follow the bike track. Its stocked with Bass. I used to put my small tinnie in next to the bridge and head upstream to just past the footbridge. There is a pipe over the river there that stops you going any further.

i like to use tassie devils in there and also stumpjumpers..fish the edges of the weeds..the bass are not huge but they give a good account of them selves as all bass do....personally i have found the caboolture river a hard nut to crack compared to other locations..ya have to really work to get em...and i also get peeved off fishing there seeing all the junk in that river..its disgusting what people throw in there...obviously not fisher peoples:S

Yeah the Caboolture river bass do firer up at times but like jimmy said \"A tough nut to crack\" and he's right on the money! Sometimes they will eat everything on offer and other times they will stick there noses in the air and refuse even the best presented lures/Sp's.

If your after advice this is what I have learnt from fishing this area:

Decent quality fish very clean and healthy indicates large amounts of natural food supplies ie, small minnows, shrimp, flying insects. HB lures in natural colours have worked the best for me, Fuller body lures are even better. Smaller minnow lures tend to go unnoticed and anything with bright colours are lapped up by the huge population of spangled perch that live in there aswell.

The bass are from mid 30's to mid 40's cms in size, heavy fighters(way better than NP bass) and move around in schools from one spot to the next. Weed beds seem to be a fav spot for them to hang around so don't fish lighter then 6lbs mono or U will get bricked into the weeds, I have!! also there is sum hefty lure munchin catties in there aswell...

Don't bother fishing during daylight hours theres just to much work involved to get a hook up and thats if your lucky !! Early morn or late arvo do ok but night time bassin is even better!!!;)

Dark coloured lures with loud rattles work wonders on the bass after dark!!

That my 2 cents worth hope it helps...:)

kevinchen19870316 wrote:

whatnow wrote:
true kevin

except if you dan:P

i totally agree with ya, whatnow. :laugh:

i tried 30lb leader for bass and still catch more than anyone fished along with me. they r not fussy as bream.:)

oh i dont know about that kevin what about the day all us guys were at np i didnt see you get any i was using 6lb and got over 10 bass point is you dont have to overkill

kevinchen19870316 wrote:

whatnow wrote:
true kevin

except if you dan:P

i totally agree with ya, whatnow. :laugh:

i tried 30lb leader for bass and still catch more than anyone fished along with me. they r not fussy as bream.:)

Can't catch bass huh? How many Wild River bass have you caught Kev?:laugh:

• 5 years later...

Hey all just dragging up an old post but was just wondering if many people still fish here for bass tried once last season but didnt do any good Im really just after a good report or two to get my confidence up to give this place abit more attention.

Ive been dredging google for info and reports but they are all old and pre 2011 flood info.

Hey all just dragging up an old post but was just wondering if many people still fish here for bass tried once last season but didnt do any good Im really just after a good report or two to get my confidence up to give this place abit more attention.

Ive been dredging google for info and reports but they are all old and pre 2011 flood info.

I havent fished it, but there is no reason for fish not to still be there. All you can do it give it another crack.

There will be bass there. As far as I'm aware the river or a tributary of it was once stocked but that has now stopped I think, perhaps one of the guys closely involved with the stocking groups can give some more info on that. My suggestion would be to launch the kayak and just start fishing it, you'll soon work out whether it is a viable location or not.

Send an email to the premier and ask him why the river is no longer being stocked.

Cheers

Ray

Cheers Ray

the stocking got handed over to a local group who stock it and the stanley river I think it was.

I was talking to a guy fishing there last year from the stocking group but cant find info on how to join the group and help boost stocks.

Email address of the secretary is

caboolture.fsg@gmail.com

AGM is Thursday night 6:30 at one of the members places at Deception bay

Peter only checks the email address every month or two, pretty laid back group. But as AGM is this week, I suspect he will be checking the email wednesday.

I think they are also doing a tagging day on the Caboolture Weir this sunday.