1770 Top Weekend

tugger

Wow smashed it again. Such a great trip. Nice to see so many Moaries in the mix. 

I am sad I won't be able to make the September trip. Poor me has to go on a different fishing adventure haha. Lures only on that one. We are flying home so cant take any fish with us. 

Thanks for a great report mate. 

1 minute ago, GregN70 said:

Nice work. Looks like ill have to head down that way. Not much going on around Yeppoon at the moment.

I am amazed to hear that. I am spending a week on a sail boat out of Hamilton in a weeks time. I hope there are plenty of fish for us up there. haha. I don't have any real plans or spots apart from taking too much gear haha. 

5 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Wow smashed it again. Such a great trip. Nice to see so many Moaries in the mix. 

I am sad I won't be able to make the September trip. Poor me has to go on a different fishing adventure haha. Lures only on that one. We are flying home so cant take any fish with us. 

Thanks for a great report mate. 

Thanks Robbie plenty more trips up there in the future we are talking about making an annual social where we are staying it is the perfect spot for the fishos with plenty of room stayed tuned there will be more on that.

3 hours ago, tugger said:

That surprises me about yeppoon we have been exploring 1770 for 7 years now and we learn a bit more each trip keep at it and the rewards will come.

1770 is quite different to Yeppoon in many regards. This is what I've learnt having fished both places. Done pretty good at 1770 on Mackerel & Reefies.

Depth for starters. To reach the 20m line out of 1770 you only need to go 1.2km E, where out of Roslyn Bay you need to go 18km E to hit that contour. The 30m contour is just 12km NE out of 1770 where Yeppoon you need to run 45km E. Then to get to the first shoals its 57km E from 1770 & around 100km ENE for Yeppoon. Also water quality at 1770 is typically better, cleaner and bluer. Yeppoon's close proximity to the extremely large and very turbid Fitzroy River means that quite often the offshore waters up to 60+km east can be adversely affected by river flow events. These river flows carry silt which for centuaries have made most of Kepple Bay shallow and with little reef areas, only rocky islands that are well known and heavily fished. The other thing I've noted is that at 1770 the current runs North->South, where off Yeppon, ive seen it now several times run South->North. It seems the East Australia Current swings in the bottom of the swains and eddies making the current east of Yeppoon run reverse direction. It may not do much but its just weird and when its like that & the bites just vanish completely. The other thing is bait is hit & miss around Yeepoon, mostly miss. No bait = no palegics.  On my last trip to 1770 I watched from the hill, a massive school of bait being hammered by birds & fish just out from the headland

Edited by GregN70
spelling

18 hours ago, GregN70 said:

1770 is quite different to Yeppoon in many regards. This is what I've learnt having fished both places. Done pretty good at 1770 on Mackerel & Reefies.

Depth for starters. To reach the 20m line out of 1770 you only need to go 1.2km E, where out of Roslyn Bay you need to go 18km E to hit that contour. The 30m contour is just 12km NE out of 1770 where Yeppoon you need to run 45km E. Then to get to the first shoals its 57km E from 1770 & around 100km ENE for Yeppoon. Also water quality at 1770 is typically better, cleaner and bluer. Yeppoon's close proximity to the extremely large and very turbid Fitzroy River means that quite often the offshore waters up to 60+km east can be adversely affected by river flow events. These river flows carry silt which for centuaries have made most of Kepple Bay shallow and with little reef areas, only rocky islands that are well known and heavily fished. The other thing I've noted is that at 1770 the current runs North->South, where off Yeppon, ive seen it now several times run South->North. It seems the East Australia Current swings in the bottom of the swains and eddies making the current east of Yeppoon run reverse direction. It may not do much but its just weird and when its like that & the bites just vanish completely. The other thing is bait is hit & miss around Yeepoon, mostly miss. No bait = no palegics.  On my last trip to 1770 I watched from the hill, a massive school of bait being hammered by birds & fish just out from the headland

Bugger might have to travel a bit for the reefies, we end up doing 260km in the boat this trip over the 3 days

4 hours ago, jon said:

Well done mate another successful mission. Did you find your livies out near the reef or a bit closer in?. I’m hopi g to get up there in the next week if I can

About a km out from the bar is the bait reef you will see the boats stop there in the morning I haven't found them on the outer reefs yet

4 hours ago, tugger said:

About a km out from the bar is the bait reef you will see the boats stop there in the morning I haven't found them on the outer reefs yet

Cheers mate, I think I know the spot you mean. I’ll have look before the run out if I can get up there in the next week

Edited by jon

13 minutes ago, tugger said:

Good luck Sef they are worth looking for my only mistake is I didn't take up enough

Cheers mate, looks like the forecast just took a turn for the worse, I’ll be lucky to get a brissy trip in the way it’s looking now