Reeling Left Handed Now

I’m right handed and been holding the rod in my left hand hand and been reeling with my right since I started fishing . I’ve heard for the past 6 months a lot people say if your right handed you should reel with your left hand . Well I tried it when I went fishing today and it felt like crap it felt like the rod couldn’t stay straight and I couldn’t feel the same smoothness and sensitivities in the reel .a lot people say they get used to it after a few fishing trips but man does it feel wrong using my left handed and bringing fish in don’t even get me started my hand kept slipping trying to reel in my fish today . But I’m gonna keep using my left hand to reel Because it’s considered a advantage in casting and reaction time. So I was wondering what other people’s opinion is on this as I’ve come across different options when it comes to which Hand you should reel with 

The main advantage I have heard with left hand reeling is that you save a second or so (before and after ) you cast as there is no re-positioning of the hands required. If you are casting and you get a hit on the intial drop you may potentially miss a strike because you are changing your hands.

I attempted left hand reel and it was awkward at first but just like anything it is muscle memory and just takes practice. I have since moved away from left hand reel because with a second or sometimes third person on the boat it became problematic to manage left and right hand reels as typically the other deckies found it so foreign to use a left hand reel. Add to this I don't do too much casting from the boat. Having all the reels right hand just makes things easier.

If you are solo fishing then you should persist especially if your style of fishing requires lots of casting.

I also have heard that if you're right handed you should wind with your left, however it has never been a hindrance or a problem to me so as I am 66 years old, why change? I find it quite comfortable to wind with my right hand as it is quicker, plus I am more accurate casting with my right hand forward. Having said that I was born a left hander but my primary school forced me to be a right hander, because in those days we used ink pots and quills (the younger folks here may not know what those are) to write with and using your left hand you might smudge the still un-dried ink as you wrote sentences.

So as the old saying goes, " if it ain't broke... don't fix it". As I have 10 overhead reels, there is no way I am going to replace them with left hand winding versions just for the sake of it! You should wind which ever way you find most comfortable.

Hey Breaming with Bro

I reel right handed currently - I have reeled left handed, and to be honest, it feels so uncomfortable I think there is no point. I have never noticed a difference, and I have a friend who fishes his reels left handed (he doesn't fish that much anymore), and there's no difference between myself and his ability to reel in lines or cast, etc. 

Stick with what feels comfortable for you. If you are using the hand that feels more comfortable I wouldn't think there would be much difference in performance... Saying that, I write left handed, and do everything else right handed. LOL. 

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

P.S. Ed. - I still annoy my teachers when I smudge up my page of writing in pen 😉 

do whatever you are most confident doing

i reel my light finesse stuff left handed and my offshore stuff right handed! i inherited a 6 wt fly rod from my father in law and it is a left hand wind so that is how i use it - i could never cast a fly rod left handed! 

i love the feeling of this combination and that is what i am most comfortable with after a few years.

interestingly i kick the footy right foot but my drop kicks and torps are much better with my left foot

Yea still not sure but I’ll keep trying with the left till I get used to it and yea if I ever start using overhead or baitcast reels I’ll probably just buy right handed ones anyway like Ed said they is no point replacing reels just to fish left handed . But for my spinning gear I’m gonna try left for now on and see how it goes

I think to be clear @Breaming with bro would be casting the same way he does today. Right hand top of the spool and left hand on the bottom at but of the rod.

By making the change to left hand reeling, his right hand (index finger) can feather the line almost immediately whilst his left makes a small movement to the reel.

9 hours ago, ellicat said:

To me left hand reeling doesn't make sense. Reeling requires much better dexterity than holding the rod, so if you're righthanded it just makes more sense. I don't find any delay in setting the reel either. Maybe an adjustment to where you hold the rod on the cast may overcome this.

Its only a fraction of a second but when reeling right handed there will be an extra movement when casting as above to reposition your hands so that you are ready to reel right-handed.

End of the day this is all theory @Breaming with bro could just as easily lose a fish mucking up the left hand reeling. So give it a solid try (so you have no doubts) and then go with what you are most comfortable.

18 hours ago, Breaming with bro said:
17 hours ago, Hweebe said:

The main advantage I have heard with left hand reeling is that you save a second or so (before and after ) you cast as there is no re-positioning of the hands required. If you are casting and you get a hit on the intial drop you may potentially miss a strike because you are changing your hands.

A second!
Mate, I can’t even get a hit after an hour or so.

18 hours ago, Breaming with bro said:

I’m right handed and been holding the rod in my left hand hand and been reeling with my right since I started fishing . I’ve heard for the past 6 months a lot people say if your right handed you should reel with your left hand . Well I tried it when I went fishing today and it felt like crap it felt like the rod couldn’t stay straight and I couldn’t feel the same smoothness and sensitivities in the reel .a lot people say they get used to it after a few fishing trips but man does it feel wrong using my left handed and bringing fish in don’t even get me started my hand kept slipping trying to reel in my fish today . But I’m gonna keep using my left hand to reel Because it’s considered a advantage in casting and reaction time. So I was wondering what other people’s opinion is on this as I’ve come across different options when it comes to which Hand you should reel with 

I trained myself to do it and will never look back as I love it so much. It doesn't take too long and once you have it it is extremely natural. 

OMHO there are huge benefits;

• When you cast you don't have to change hands. This is really important when targeting fish with lures. Imagine having a jack hit the lure as it hits the water and you are messing around changing hands, closing bail arm etc. With the rod in your right the whole time it is so much nicer and simpler. 
  • When you reel in then cast, you don't have to change hands. This means you can put in a lot more casts on the day and less fatigue. 
  • When you get a bite your dominant hand reacts better to set the hook. 
  • When you are fighting a fish you are holding the rod with your strongest arm. This is awesome and a huge advantage. It doesn't take much effort to reel but loads to lift the rod.
  • When fighting a big fish your dominant had is the one holding the rod and you can do things like stab the rod into the water if it goes under the boat or hold it low and sideways if it runs at a snag.  

It is the best thing I have learnt in fishing and recommend everyone to do it. 

13 hours ago, Luc53 said:

I've been left hand reeling since I started fishing 50+ years ago.

Other than a couple inherited baitcasters, all my reels including Alvey are left hand winders.

Easiest way to get proficient with left hand cranking is to practice winding while watching TV.

pro tip. 

Left hand winders rule. Right had winders are all rubbish. 

episode 14 GIF