Been Getting Back Into It

Do$tylz

Hi Do$tylz

Geez, that looks like... Extreme awesomeness! 🙂. Must be great fun staying there. A private fishing jetty for you and your mate. 

I hope you mange to smash a few bigguns soon. Maybe at Summer time you (will hopefully) get a jack! 

What species can you catch there? (I'm assuming bream, cod, flathead, whiting, and the odd bull shark in Summer?).

Cheers Hamish

18 minutes ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hi Do$tylz

Geez, that looks like... Extreme awesomeness! 🙂. Must be great fun staying there. A private fishing jetty for you and your mate. 

I hope you mange to smash a few bigguns soon. Maybe at Summer time you (will hopefully) get a jack! 

What species can you catch there? (I'm assuming bream, cod, flathead, whiting, and the odd bull shark in Summer?).

Cheers Hamish

should be plenty of jacks in summer if i put some more time into it.

Have seen a few big trevs cruise through in summer but none recently.

only 1 flattie off the pontoon so far.

did catch a mullet on topwater 2 weeks ago. I was cheating a bit though... wrapped the trebles in white bread and lobbed it in to bream feeding frenzy. The bread got picked off but i left the lure sitting there and the mullet picked it up 😄

Welcome back Henry, great to have you back onboard. Are you living on the southside of the river? If so, sign up to the dominant Southside team for SOO (of course, if you aren't living on the Southside, then just ignore this post ......... 🙂).

Your daughter looks like she knows how to hold a rod - great stuff. I went through the same stage as you when I had kids (although I did sneak in some Fri/Sat night sessions - and then was tired for the following week ....... 🙂) and it's great once they get the fishing bug. Then you become in a hurry for them to get older to chase bigger fish ....... 

Groovy looking seats you have on your tinny!!  What part of the Nerang is the house in - I'll let you know if I get any intel on the whiting 🙂 

1 hour ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Nice one. That jack is a good fish. Must've been great fun on ten pound. I have never caught a jack (not yet) so I hope to get one sometime (even though that may be in X amount of years 😉).

Cheers Hamish

P.S. I am multi-tasking now. Japanese work and AFO! 🙂 

Sorry, didnt write properly. Was caught on 2lb flouro mainline. Tied on 10lb leader. I call it tippet when i only tie on 15cm worth.

22 minutes ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Welcome back Henry, great to have you back onboard. Are you living on the southside of the river? If so, sign up to the dominant Southside team for SOO (of course, if you aren't living on the Southside, then just ignore this post ......... 🙂).

Your daughter looks like she knows how to hold a rod - great stuff. I went through the same stage as you when I had kids (although I did sneak in some Fri/Sat night sessions - and then was tired for the following week ....... 🙂) and it's great once they get the fishing bug. Then you become in a hurry for them to get older to chase bigger fish ....... 

Groovy looking seats you have on your tinny!!  What part of the Nerang is the house in - I'll let you know if I get any intel on the whiting 🙂 

Hey Kelv. Thanks mate.

Yeah i am southside, but dont think ill get a chance to hit the water this month. Next planned session is first weekend of september back down at the coast.

Hahaha. Mate if i caught bigger fish that might be a problem.... 😄

Mate the tinny was all done by the old owner who used to be on here as BigTez. He was a marine upholsterer by trade so everything was done really well. The seats are THE most comfortable tinny seats i have ever sat on.

Nerang, im in the middle to lower reaches???. After Bundall Rd bridge.

SOO ends on Sep 20 Henry. 13 species to target so if you get something, take a photo on a bragmat and put three of your fingers in the photo (can you tell I'm competitive ...... 🙂).  I would think as the water temp heats up you'll get some good trevally action - particularly probably big eyes. They also get giant herring down the coast - not certain if in the Nerang or not but would imagine so 🙂   Enjoy!!

12 hours ago, aussie123 said:

Hey welcome back Henry.

It will be good to see you around the place again.

I hope the family is well mate.

Thanks Lance. Hope all is going well with you mate. Last I recall you had some health challenges a few years ago? I hope you've kicked that to the curb and been back on the water mate. How's that deep water game going?

3 hours ago, samsteele115 said:

Nice to hear from you Henry! Welcome back 

Thanks Sam. Read your report of being over at Amity these days! So jealous. Great gig in an amazing part of the world.

Have you got into spearing along those walls? an old high school acquaintance used to tell me about his family house there and how he would always spear up some monster jacks. 

2 hours ago, Do$tylz said:

Thanks Sam. Read your report of being over at Amity these days! So jealous. Great gig in an amazing part of the world.

Have you got into spearing along those walls? an old high school acquaintance used to tell me about his family house there and how he would always spear up some monster jacks. 

Hey mate, thanks for the read. I actually live at the point! Even tougher living conditions... A stone's throw from frenchmans and the gorge. Landbased has been good this year. 

Have not got into spearing yet. But yep, monster jacks along there at certain times of the year are still definitely a thing 😎

5 hours ago, Do$tylz said:

Thanks Lance. Hope all is going well with you mate. Last I recall you had some health challenges a few years ago? I hope you've kicked that to the curb and been back on the water mate. How's that deep water game going?

The deep water game is going well mate, still out there till recently when that curb jumped up at me a couple of months ago again.

Iv'e just been relased from hospital on Monday night after a 23 day stay and some emergency brain surgery but hopefully things will be all good for a while now and in a couple of months time I will be back out there chasing something in the deepwater along the coast somewhere.

4 minutes ago, aussie123 said:

The deep water game is going well mate, still out there till recently when that curb jumped up at me a couple of months ago again.

Iv'e just been relased from hospital on Monday night after a 23 day stay and some emergency brain surgery but hopefully things will be all good for a while now and in a couple of months time I will be back out there chasing something in the deepwater along the coast somewhere.

Hey aussie123

Best of luck with your cancer. I hope it stays away forever now 🙂 

Cheers Hamish

24 minutes ago, ellicat said:

Yeah, Lance. Take care and good luck. Hope you're back into it real soon.

Thanks Brian.

I think you may have been the very last AFO'er that I seen before this little issue popped up so I can blame you for it now,lol

Hopefully this will see the end of it for a while so a bit of recovery time ahead and then back in to it.

2 hours ago, Do$tylz said:

oh living the high life!!! 😄

One day I'll get back there and finally get revenge on that GT that spooled me years ago.

Figured out the monsters off the gorge walk yet?

Haha heaps of GT around this year, I like your chances. Got a dozen or so from 50-70cm, great sashimi at that smaller size and obviously a great tussle on medium heavy gear. Lost a couple of larger models at the rocks. No kings around this year so far which seems unusual. 

Dirty water produces, I hardly bother in the clean calm stuff anymore. 

Let me know if you venture over and we should have a cast! 

1 hour ago, samsteele115 said:

Haha heaps of GT around this year, I like your chances. Got a dozen or so from 50-70cm, great sashimi at that smaller size and obviously a great tussle on medium heavy gear. Lost a couple of larger models at the rocks. No kings around this year so far which seems unusual. 

Dirty water produces, I hardly bother in the clean calm stuff anymore. 

Let me know if you venture over and we should have a cast! 

oh and by the way there is no trevs in the comp yet so even if you get a tiddler...