ellicat

queensland Reconnaissance Mission

Hey ellicat

Good luck!

Please login or register to view this image
 Hopefully you find some marks that become your 'Spot X', and they produce!

The only tip I could give is to fish each different spot you find more than once on different tide, moon, weather cycles, etc.

I'll be interested to see how you go. Do you plan to take a rod as well?

Cheers Hamish

1 hour ago, Another Wazza said:

That’s a whole heap of area to look over, does your sounder have side scan?

No side scan. It has down scan but I haven't figured out what difference it is to normal scan apart from being a different colour.

10 minutes ago, Another Wazza said:

Not taking a rod or 2, would be sacrilege!

Exactly. Imagine being out there sounding around and all of a sudden there are schools of tailor, Tuna or mackerel busting up all around the boat. Or you you sound up a big bait ball with lots of arches under it. And no rod in the boat.........

I think I would be picking out an area to go to for the day and sound it out fully and mark anything interesting that you see on the sounder.

After sounding the area out, go back and have a fish on all the marks that you find.

Sound out one area at a time otherwise you just miss finding to much ground around you.

3 hours ago, aussie123 said:

I think I would be picking out an area to go to for the day and sound it out fully and mark anything interesting that you see on the sounder.

After sounding the area out, go back and have a fish on all the marks that you find.

Sound out one area at a time otherwise you just miss finding to much ground around you.

What Lance said 

Hope you find some fruitful spots mate.

I started on a similar mission a few years back. I lost interest. It's pretty big out there and I didn't have the down time. 

What I noticed a lot was I had marks from previous outings on basically nothing.

I put it down to the ground moving around. What could have been small bumps or drop offs were now just sounding as flat ground. 

I wish plotter/sounders had the tech to add a screenshot of the sounder at the time when you hit mark. Least then you could go back and look at what you dropped a mark on. It would make deleting marks easier too. 

For me....

Get the transducer setup correctly was priority. 

My sounder works well at 40kph.

While not as detailed as it is when I'm moving slow, it still picks up enough to be able to go in for a second look. 

Marking off the sounder screen is a good thing too. Takes away that distance travelled in reaction time when travelling at speed. 

That's how I've found 90% of my marks tbh. 

Good luck. Hope it works out for you. 

Thanks @Junky.

Yes, I went to a mark the other day and it was flat as a tack. I figured it must have been one I put in on the fly and was therefore a bit off. I don't have a touch screen so that doesn't help. Fortunately my sounder does read well at top speed, but the delay in creating the mark is a problem. I intend to do a bit of slow speed marking on the day.

Also I think I will just pick a smaller area and concentrate on that to start with, as @aussie123 suggested. Looks like the wind will be blowing up a bit according to Meteye so may not have the full day in any case.

6 minutes ago, ellicat said:

Thanks @Junky.

Yes, I went to a mark the other day and it was flat as a tack. I figured it must have been one I put in on the fly and was therefore a bit off. I don't have a touch screen so that doesn't help. Fortunately my sounder does read well at top speed, but the delay in creating the mark is a problem. I intend to do a bit of slow speed marking on the day.

Also I think I will just pick a smaller area and concentrate on that to start with, as @aussie123 suggested. Looks like the wind will be blowing up a bit according to Meteye so may not have the full day in any case.

What unit are you running? 

Most new units will allow you to drag a set of crosshairs across the sounder screen and put the mark right on top of the bump. 

That takes out the reaction time delay. 

I recon it will do it. 

Just have the unit on sounder only. 

Press the directional arrows and see if the cross hairs come up on the screen. If so you should be able to move the crosshairs over a piece of history on the sounder and hit mark. 

When on combo screens you'd have to highlight the sounder side otherwise it will active the crosshairs on the GPS side. 

On 06/09/2020 at 4:57 PM, ellicat said:

OK. I'll take two rods and some plastics, but that's it. It will have to be a good show though.

On 06/09/2020 at 3:59 PM, Old Scaley said:

Weather does look great for Wednesday. I will get out somewhere, but will be fully fishing and leaving the exploration to you, Brian. Will give you a call sometime through the day to compare notes.

Good luck you two! Let's hope both your missions are successful. 

Cheers Hamish

24 minutes ago, ellicat said:

1st day mission complete. Put in at Manly. Had a look at the NW corner of Green before circumnavigating Mud. Had to call it off early as I got a bit crook, but will head out for day 2 tomorrow.

Fail for the day: Packing the thermos, coffee, sugar and milk and forgetting to take a cup.

How were conditions and did you learn anything? Are you feeling better now?

Conditions were great. Not always glassed out, but pretty close.

Feeling a bit dodgy still, but a sleep will see that improve I'm sure.

What time are you heading out tomorrow ? I'm thinking of an early start and be back at the ramp about lunchtime before the afternoon breeze picks up..

3 minutes ago, ellicat said:

Conditions were great. Not always glassed out, but pretty close.

Feeling a bit dodgy still, but a sleep will see that improve I'm sure.

What time are you heading out tomorrow ? I'm thinking of an early start and be back at the ramp about lunchtime before the afternoon breeze picks up..

Not too early. Probably launch around 8 and come back in when the breeze starts lifting or the rain looks close.

On 07/09/2020 at 9:40 AM, Junky said:

I recon it will do it. 

Just have the unit on sounder only. 

Press the directional arrows and see if the cross hairs come up on the screen. If so you should be able to move the crosshairs over a piece of history on the sounder and hit mark. 

When on combo screens you'd have to highlight the sounder side otherwise it will active the crosshairs on the GPS side. 

Yep, it does it. Life is so much simpler now. Thanks again.

11 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

That's it, I have had it with you too and have dobbed you in to the moderators for your continuous showing off and publicly airing your gratuitous mid-week fishing sojourns while the rest of us are working. It is time you thought of us all and communicated your ramblings via PM's .......!!!!!!!  (P.S. As fellow Southsiders, I wish you luck in securing us a cod or threadie .......

).

Cheer up mate. One day you will be retired. haha. Till then you can be young and fit. 

19 hours ago, ellicat said:

1st day mission complete. Put in at Manly. Had a look at the NW corner of Green before circumnavigating Mud. Had to call it off early as I got a bit crook, but will head out for day 2 tomorrow.

Fail for the day: Packing the thermos, coffee, sugar and milk and forgetting to take a cup.

Hey Brian

Sounds like you were relatively successful. Hope the marks will produce.

Cheers Hamish

10 minutes ago, ellicat said:

It was a bit blowy. Headed out to Mud from Port of Brisbane ramp about 8 o'clock. Plan was to have a quick go at yesterday's marks and then go explore Harry's.

Wind was getting up so checked with Willy and noticed there was a strong wind warning for "the middle of the day". With this in mind I decided to head back into the river at 10.30 where I checked the poo shute and thought about having a cast for some bream for the comp as I've got some high 30's there before, but I couldn't bring myself to put my new anchor rope into that swill.

Motored up to the pipeline where I noticed that number 97 has been painted red. Sounded out to the drop off where there were some threadies showing but when I anchored, the boat hung 90 degrees from what I thought would happen as it was wind against tide and neither were winning. Tried for a while for no love except I got snipped off (suspect some small choppers are in), so tied on some wire and therefore didn't get another bite. Moved to the sunken wall for a couple of bream bites and then headed in with mission unaccomplished.

Edit: I left out the bit about meeting up with Steve on the water and at the ramp because I didn't want to upset working Kelvin.

Oops

Fun. Poor KM... 

6 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Cheer up mate. One day you will be retired. haha. Till then you can be young and fit. 

Problem is I think I'm stuck halfway in between being young and fit and, well, ummmm like Steve and (particularly ...) Brian ....... 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Latest Posts

• Similar Content

• By tugger
      Went up to 1770 with my son Brock on Thursday afternoon and stayed the night before leaving the ramp at 1st light Friday morning. We headed for the bunker group with plans to stay out for 3 days on the outer reef after a average run up we were fishing our 1st marks by 8am.
      I strugled with bait only landing the odd tuskie while my son tangled with coral trout for the 1st 2 hours i tried alot of different rigs and baits but Brock kept hooking up on plastics. I soon switched to plastics on the shads tuff prawn and we were both hitting trout along with a huge variety of fish.

We landed spangeled emperor, moarie cod, red throat emperor, coral trout, srtipies, honeycomb cod, hussar, tea leaf trevally, bludger trevally and long nose emperor. We found more ground as we went and the wind dropped right out to nothing through the middle of the day. The red emeperor were proving to be elusive so we didn't waste to much time hunting them Friday chosing to keep looking for trout.

It started to blow late in the arvo so we went shallow behind the reef and found plenty of red throat emeperor biting. These fish put up an amazing fight never giving up all the way to the boat and i would have to say pound for pound 1 of the strogest fighting fish on the reef. We got RTE up to 53cm and started to really get some colour to the box.

After sunset friday it was time anchor up and settle in for the night cook some dinner and get a good sleep. Saturday morning the wind was still atleast 12 knots but i was keen to target the reds early morning. The 1st mark was quiet but the next move we found fish on the sounder and new ground nearby on the drift.
      It was this new ground where the reds were hanging and i got a little legal red emperor going 59cm on the ruler. Brock hooked up but lost a better red halfway up just spitting the hook then the bite shut down so after another 30 minutes we moved south looking for more trout etc.
      We were finding new ground and pulling fish as we went and by 11 am the bite shut right down. We decided to go for a snorkle in the lagoon at fitzroy reef, we had the lagoon to ourselves and anchored up in front of the biggest coral bommie. 
      It took us an hour to snorkel around it, so much colour in the reef here and the fish life was amazing even seeing coral trout lurking in the holes in the reef. After the snorkle we had a fresh water shower then some lunch before heading out again to the lee side of the reef to find more fish.
      The fish were thick and in an hour we got another 7 fish to finish off our bag limit on the coral reef fin fish. The tuff prawns did outfish the bait by far and all the trout and most of the red throat fell for the prawn.

Then pointing the boat for home the throttle went down and 90 minutes later crossed the bar back in the creek at 1770 a day early. I stayed another night in town and drove home on Sunday morning , just in time as we had run out of fish at home so this should keep us in qaulity fish for a little while.

Please login or register to view this attachment
    • By Dinodadog
      Back over to Lake K yesterday in the yak, on the water early and off the water early. Bite was full on to start with, then stopped a bruptly around 8am back at the car by 8.30am. Still managed a good score of 38 bass.As I was putting the hobie in the water noticed I only had one and 3/4 finns, about 4 inches fell off one fin, must of perished. Over to hobie land after lunch,due to covid no stock so on waiting list, meantime put shorter finns on. As usual left a few dollars short, buying bits that was needed.
      For everyones enjoyment I am off to get skewerd tomorrow from both ends,(colonoscopy and endoscopy)
      Dino

Please login or register to view this attachment
    • By ellicat
      Went for a session at the rock wall tonight with @Leosonfire. I got done by a bristle worm right at the end of the night. Wiped my hands on my shirt and the little spines went into my tender belly. Bugger.
      Anyway, there is more to the tale, but I'll leave that for Leo...
    • By Drop Bear
      Well the time is nearly up for the Bear to get on a plane and fly to an exotic fishing destination. 
      The Plan is to head to Townsville and jump on a big boat and steam out over the water for ages and catch some fish. 
      Here are some sticks that I have to take. 

I bought 2 rods for the trip and had 3 already. 
      They will be holding onto these reels.

Please login or register to view this attachment So that means;
      Tyranos 20 with 80lb braid on a 5.6 foot Ugly Stick
      Saragosa 25k with 60lb braid on a 9 foot Penn Ocean Assassin HPE 6-10
      Sustain 5000FG with 20lb Braid on a 7 foot Crazee Taco Stick Pe 8
      Stradic CL 4+ with 15 lb Braid on a 7 foot 8 - 16 lb Nordic Stage Favourite 
      Saragosa SW 8000 with 40 lb braid on a Rovex Sabiki and as a spare reel. 
      So I have a lot of options covered. 
      I hope to;
      Send BIG plastics down to the staghorn coral for xos trout
      Throw xx large stick baits and poppers over the shallows for monster GTs, xxos Trout, and xxos emperors (various)
      Drop very large live baits to the bottom for Doggies, xxxos trout and Red Emperors
      Float out large live baits for Spanish Mackerel
      Flick medium plastics and jigs for Mackerel (Spanish, Shark, Spotted) , Whaoo, Cobia and Tuna (Toooona thanks @aussie123)
      Flick light plastics and micro jigs for little reef fish for a bit of fun and some live baits. 
      Catch live baits on the Sabikis. 
      That should keep me busy for the week haha. 
      I will probably do a stack of normal bait fishing as well for xxos large mouth nannies - see profile pic from previous trip.
      I hope to post up photos of an embarrassingly excited drop bear (and his mates) holding extremely large and colourful fish with stunning blue water in the background. 
      My only disappointment is I won't get the chance to try out the sea sickness tablets as we are expecting 10 knots all week!!!! This must be payment from the weather gods for a extremely ****** 2020 that included chronic pain in my foot, prostate cancer and all the other hoohaar that we have all had to put up with. 
      I have packed my teddy bear (and teddy to sleep in) and hope to see you all next week. 

• By AUS-BNE-FISHO
      Hi all
      Today (after yesterday's success) I decided I'd go for another session. Before I start this report (it's not very interesting) I'd recommend you read the last one, Session #59, if you haven't already because at least that one wasn't a donut . I was going to leave at about 1:00PM, as it was overcast so not too hot. The sky had other ideas though, and it starting storming. After the first batch of heavy rain, thunder, and lightning, I made my move with my dad to get to the park.
      As I got down there, I saw the usual water dragon, but this time it was seemingly sheltering under the wooden boardwalk instead of staying next to the mangroves. Try and spot it .

See it?

There!
      After I made it down there, (only to be stormed on again). I had caught a glassy, a mullet, and two bream in the cast net. The bream were released, but the mullet and glassy were deployed on the lines. They sure put up a nice and fun tug of war. I love the feeling when you know you've got something good in the cast net!

It was raining hard in this pic and I just got a photo of the bream in my bucket - but they were released
      After the first cast net throw on the mudflat, I went back to it. I didn't get anything except mud and glassies for the next throw or two, but soon I hit the motherload (after a shelter under a nearby mangrove tree and trying to conserve body heat as it was so cold). It was about 2:45PM, and I felt the tugs in my net. I saw the flash of silver, and while a ocuple lucky buggers got away, I brought up 10 or 12 12-18cm mullet. Yay! That's live bait for the day covered. 

It was a welcome surprise as I wasn't expecting it!
      I changed bait on the line I caught the salmon in the last session to a poddy mullet, and the salmon line to a bigger mullet (well actually it had a mullet from the throw with bream). I decided to keep the 8' rod with a glassy, in hope of a bream munching down on it. I moved this rod from out the front into the pylons to try and maximise bites. The storm had well and truly passed now (No, not the footy team) and while I was netting another fella rocked up. He was very friendly to me, and after we introduced ourselves to one another we started chatting. His name was Michael - very nice! . He said he was just going out for a nice arvo fish and came across this spot on Google Maps. He told me he doesn't do too much fishing (commonly with his mate) but was liking it and was even thinking about a kayak. He had one line with prawn and the other with a plastic, so I gave him some advice on where he could flick (around structure for a possible flathead, bream, or cod) and general fishing talk about the area. 
      It was still really quiet, with the only action on the rod tips being from the livies (they were that lively haha). Michael got a hit on his line, but unfortunately the fish spat the hook before the hook was set in properly. The day was really quiet from here on, with me doing numerous throws of the cast net, chatting away to a bunch of different people, bait checking and untangling the livies, and watching/chatting to Michael (seeing as though he got a couple more hits).  
      A bit past 5:00PM, my mum and dad came down to get me. I let the smaller mullet go, and kept the ones that were more suitable to shark bait. I was a bit disappointed with the session, but it may just be another 30 before I get my next salmon. It was good fun overall, and I hope you enjoyed the report. Thanks for reading, and sorry for any spelling errors. Here are the stats of the report - 
      Stats of Trip - 
      Tide: Low, 12:00PM, .6M, High, 6:35PM, 2M
      Moon Phase: Waxing Gibbous, so not too much run
      Fish caught: Squat
      Bait caught: Prawns, mullet, glassies
      Bait used: Live prawns, mullet, dead herring, glassies
      Air Pressure: 1010.7
      Humidity: 87%
      Rain: 37.8mm
      Weather: Stormy, Cloudy, Wet, Humid
      Tackle used: 12lb, 14lb, 30lb braided mainlines, 20lb, 30lb fluorocarbon leader, 80lb mono trace, size 2 and 6 bean and ball sinkers, 
      Overall success rate: 15% - at least I got some bait
      Cheers Hamish Please login or register to view this image 
      P.S. Sorry for any errors 

Please login or register to view this image Good shark baits!
  • Latest Topics

• Popular Contributors

• Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found
  • Most Liked Topic This Month

• Random Topics

• Newest Clubs

• Links