What Size Electric ?

ellicat

Just use a redarc kit from 4x4 dual battery setup.

Mine charges both batteries but doesn't let the deep cycle drain back to the

starter battery unless you push the connector button.

You can get them to charge caravan batteries from your car alternator.

That's why I said to check with dealer or marine lecky.

On 01/07/2022 at 12:43 PM, Angry51 said:

Just use a redarc kit from 4x4 dual battery setup.

Mine charges both batteries but doesn't let the deep cycle drain back to the

starter battery unless you push the connector button.

You can get them to charge caravan batteries from your car alternator.

That's why I said to check with dealer or marine lecky.

Is that  a dc to dc charger u are using just got given a redarc dc to dc 40 amp charger i was going to put in my patrol but might put it in my boat. I have a 60hp merc would that be big enough for it ?

12 hours ago, Aaron H said:

Thanks mate now the decision in to a patrol that doesn't do much off grid since everyone bought a fourby with covid or into the boat hmmmm decisions lol

That's a decent DC-DC charger (~$700 rrp) capable of using Solar as an input as well as the alternator.

The merc should produce 15-20amp from the alternator so that DC-DC model is more than enough rated 40amp - Overkill i would say.

The reason DC-DC chargers started taking over the basic Redarc VSR was that newer cars had alternators that had variable outputs and sometimes would not trip the VSR to charge aux batteries.

Not sure whether you have an install location away from the elements / water for this DC-DC

If it were me I'd stick the DC-DC in the patrol install a perm solar panel on the roof top of you car and make the most of the chargers features.

I don't think the Merc will have a variable output alternator, so I'd buy a cheaper VSR for the boat ($50-$100) - this will also be easier to keep away from the elements under a gunwale etc.

9 hours ago, Hweebe said:

That's a decent DC-DC charger (~$700 rrp) capable of using Solar as an input as well as the alternator.

The merc should produce 15-20amp from the alternator so that DC-DC model is more than enough rated 40amp - Overkill i would say.

The reason DC-DC chargers started taking over the basic Redarc VSR was that newer cars had alternators that had variable outputs and sometimes would not trip the VSR to charge aux batteries.

Not sure whether you have an install location away from the elements / water for this DC-DC

If it were me I'd stick the DC-DC in the patrol install a perm solar panel on the roof top of you car and make the most of the chargers features.

I s

9 hours ago, Hweebe said:

I don't think the Merc will have a variable output alternator, so I'd buy a cheaper VSR for the boat ($50-$100) - this will also be easier to keep away from the elements under a gunwale etc.

don't think the Merc will have a variable output alternator, so I'd buy a cheaper VSR for the boat ($50-$100) - this will also be easier to keep away from the elements under a gunwale etc.

Thanks for the advice mate i might as well make the most of it and throw it in the patrol might inspire me to do the cape again 

On 01/07/2022 at 12:09 PM, Allnighter said:

I was under the impression you shouldnt/cant wire your main battery to your electric motor agm battery? Because they both require different charging rates? Is the carbon agm battery different from a lead agm battery so they can be wired together?

That is correct - It's usually not recommended to series or parallel batteries that are not of same type / capacity / age.

However in this install type, the VSR it will keep the two batteries isolated from each other (unless you run a manual override for an emergency jump start)

As for the charging rate, the alternator will be good for mid session top ups but won't be as optimal for the AGM battery / battery life compared to an end of day trickle charge set for correct voltage in AGM mode.

@ellicat has inspired me to start up the business case for an ulterra on the front of my boat - as from all accounts most common reasoning provided is that an electric is a "game changer" in dropping on top of bommies / fish shows without messing with anchors, currents, wind, other boats in the bay.

Only problem is there are none in Australia in a 80lb x 72" 24v config! I'm being quoted 6 months and lucky if I get it before 2023.

Plus almost every dealer mentioned BLA price rises in 2023 on the minn kota unless I order now...hummm....

I'm thinking of giving this mob based in Brisbane a go for the lithium batteries.

I went down a rabbit hole to see if i could DIY a 24v LiPHO4 battery from 3.2v cells but this works out cheaper to just get the supplier to put it together themselves.

24V Lithium Battery 100AH LiFePO4 Deep Cycle Camping Marine BWB SS24100B (12V 200AH Available)) (bigweibattery.com.au) - 3 year warranty $1550 with bluetooth

12V 100AH Lithium Battery LiFePO4 Deep Cycle Stainless Steel Camping RV BWB SS12100 (bigweibattery.com.au) - 3 year warranty $750 with bluetooth

Th 12 V is half the price as one Invicta 12v 100AH lithium battery (7 years warranty)

25 minutes ago, ellicat said:

@Hweebe, Sounds like you've already settled on getting one ??

hahaha readying the business case but yes If I can get a hold of one in the 80lb 72" but no ETAs by from any dealers.

The dealers have all said they put it on back order and get stock allocated almost at random, first they now stock is in is when they receive delivery. 

Had one FB report that for this spec the wait was over 12 months.

3 hours ago, ellicat said:

Have you looked offshore for one ? Might be stock in the States.

Ok so now this is interesting - There is stock in the States and even after shipping and currency conversion I can get one landed for about $500 cheaper then waiting here in Australia.

BLA (the distributor of Minn Kota) must be doing ok on these trolling motors

The only CON of this approach is there will be no warranty honoured here in Australia....

@ellicat i got a couple of quotes on the bow mount for the boat so you will have a feel on rough costs.

A+ welding (Jimboomba) (fb sponsored ad) was $880 ("discounted" to $770 as he had some left over materials) - Seems like a busy guy with bookings until 8 August

Local fabricator was $500 (less for cash) - was flexible and needed the boat for a day and would fit the quick release as well, he said he had done "hundreds" of bow mounts before.

Both would make adjustments to the bow rail as required. No painting including. Just the fab and welding.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, ellicat said:

Well @Andrew_P and @Hweebe recommended the same bloke to do the metal fab. I then discovered that he was the one who did @Old Scaley's as well. I went there and had the plate welded and the electric mounted for $350. Bargain. Now I just have to get power connected and the prop affixed and it'll be time for a water test.

Nice!

Dropped the boat off for bow mount install. Will post some pics later today, some bow rail modifications required for the motor to fit.

I may have gone overboard with the 72" shaft but beggars can't be choosers when going second hand 🙂 

@ellicat how are you going with the rest of the install now that you have the bow mount welded