GregOug

7 hours ago, Junky said:

Yeah, that'd wreck your day. 

Would love to know the psychology of the incidents. 

Are they attacking, protecting or drunk on some sort of jelly fish or something?

When i was in the Whitsundays a mother whale and a calf came up to the boat and the mother started tail slapping right at the boat.  these whales could have been protecting their young and the boat is just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

On 12/09/2022 at 8:10 AM, STKE said:

More traffic on the water and a growing whale population. 

I had considered that, however I'm not convinced that is the sole reason. 

For a large animal to breech and put itself in danger (falling over a boat wouldn't tickle the whale) like that is more than just the wrong place at the wrong time. 

These animals are not stupid. 

They know the boat is there before the boat (crew) knows it is beneath it. 

2 hours ago, Junky said:

I had considered that, however I'm not convinced that is the sole reason. 

For a large animal to breech and put itself in danger (falling over a boat wouldn't tickle the whale) like that is more than just the wrong place at the wrong time. 

These animals are not stupid. 

They know the boat is there before the boat (crew) knows it is beneath it. 

I tend to agree Junky - I've been on multiple whale watch tours out of hervey bay and if this was real risk tour operators wouldn't want to be anywhere near the whales. Having said that the rules mean the operator has to shut the engines once whales get to a certain distance. The whales will often approach or are curious of the boat, but they move with precision always avoiding the boat.

Now if the boat was moving whilst the whale is close and  thats another story and I can see how crashes may occur. Especially if a boat is moving around unpredictably

• 1 year later...