ellicat

1 minute ago, Allnighter said:

Buy a yammy 😉

This was discussed today.

1 hour ago, Angry51 said:

Oh, golly gosh, gee whiz.

Whose boat is that?

Alright, no need to yell.😭

It won't be my boat much longer if it keeps playing up.

1 hour ago, christophagus said:

Oh dear…don’t you love boats!

No, not all the time it seems...

12 hours ago, ellicat said:

No, not yet. She wouldn't start, just made a whirring noise. Hoping it's just a battery or a starter motor issue and nothing dire. She's got an appointment with the doctors on Wednesday.

Could have it been the switch on the throttle that turns off the motor if you fall over or overboard (kill switch I think it is called) 

10 minutes ago, ellicat said:

Cheers.

Yep, that's the one.

Ahh bummer. 

Hopefully an easy fix for you but it sounds like you've had trouble before. 

I have a bloke near capalaba that will work on marine gear. Most of the sparkies got scared when I said it's for an outboard. 

He rewound my alternator. 

Keep an eye on your battery voltage. 

17 hours ago, Junky said:

Keep an eye on your battery voltage. 

On the Lowrance sounder there is data overlay to display the battery voltage + you can set an alert for when there is a voltage drop below a user defined voltage (i think I set mine to 12v).  A soon to die battery will normally still start the outboard but will trigger the alert (under 12v). If this alert becomes more frequent or is consistently popping up on each start this will give you an early sign for when your battery is on the way out or needs a trickle charge.

18 hours ago, ellicat said:

Cheers.

Yep, that's the one.

My gut feel is this issue and previous issue where you've been losing power / rpm point to fuel system.

Could be any of Fuel pump / Fuel line (air leak, clog, corroded hoses) / Bad fuel / Water in Fuel

Needless to say fuel issues are harder to diagnose....

Is the problem now permanent? and not intermittent like before?

1 hour ago, Hweebe said:

On the Lowrance sounder there is data overlay to display the battery voltage + you can set an alert for when there is a voltage drop below a user defined voltage (i think I set mine to 12v).  A soon to die battery will normally still start the outboard but will trigger the alert (under 12v). If this alert becomes more frequent or is consistently popping up on each start this will give you an early sign for when your battery is on the way out or needs a trickle charge.

Yeah, that's how I have mine setup. 

Sorry peeps, I was referring to the alternator fail I had. I couldn't get a new one so I had to have it recond. 

If Brian can't get a starter motor then he may have to have it recond.

I noticed slight drops in voltage with the motor running. Normally it sits around 14v. 

Then it dropped to about 13.2v for a few outings. Didn't think anything of it.

Then one day heading to peel with family onbaord it dropped to 9v. 

Had to get a jump start (vmr Raby Bay membership used) so it was free. 

The motor powered itself back to horizon shores from peel. 

5 hours ago, ellicat said:

The battery is fine. I'm getting a new starter motor. Surprisingly they have one in stock in Brisbane. They gave me the option of a new one or to keep the same one that is sticking with a simple method to get it going again on the water, but I prefer to not have that concern.

Will have it back tomorrow.

Thanks for the tips and suggestions, fellas.

Try and keep the old one mate. 

With the way this world is going, we're going to be repairing everything again soon.