Time for a AFO day at Barron Pocket - 3/2/08?

Feral

kevinchen19870316 wrote:

dan, bass r not nasty fighter, u should get them easily on ur raider unless u wanna do power finesse fishing. i got my PB 58cm only on 8lb line.

Kev Bass can be very very dirty fighters. they live hard up against structure and head for cover as soon as they are hooked. I think your just used to fishing for schooling fish in open water, try getting onto a 50cm+ fish close in hard to some cover, they go very hard and fight dirty

Lee

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kevin, as an example, the 39cm one we got last week, we had to chase him around the weed bommie with the boat to get him. Straight in he he went! The smaller ones did to, but we were able to work them out without chasing them down. But if your using 20lb leader, you'll skull drag em out ok! ;)

1 can only think it was a bass but the fish had ran my line about 10/15 metres straight into snags and snap went the line, retreived the line thinking nothing was left only to find that the fish had hit the snags that hard that it snapped the bib in half on the lure. i was fishing with 4lb line

With the rain up the edge should not be as inundated with weed. But mate to answer your question, Ash, James, Terry and I caught at least 60 fish one from the bank. All we did was paddle point to point and cast from the point. But the biggest hook up rate was at the BBQ area! We had up to triple hook ups there on bass. Good times.

Angus

TerryH wrote:

"Terry's Turning Point" haha. Good times indeed.

Who's got food organised? Feral said he's got some snags but I didn't see anything else? I can bust out a few onions and a couple of loaves of bread if needed

Hey Terry. What i have done is written what i am going to bring into the "Attend Events" reply. Have a look. I reckon this is an easier way to do it so we dont have the trawl bacl through a long thread working it out :)

Angus

username_taken wrote:

I got a couple of mates who are mad keen fly fishos. They're pretty keen to check out the dam, I assume there's a fair bit of land based stuff they can do there ?

Anyone got some fly patterns that are suitable ?

Bass vampire is always a good fly to try out

STU wrote:

username_taken wrote:
I got a couple of mates who are mad keen fly fishos. They're pretty keen to check out the dam, I assume there's a fair bit of land based stuff they can do there ?

Anyone got some fly patterns that are suitable ?

Bass vampire is always a good fly to try out

My knowledge of fly fishing is limited. I have only done it a few times in Scotland for a handful of trout.

However colour wise, i think everyone would agree with me there are colour trends at baroon.

Deep down Blues, Purples and blacks seem to be the go.

In the shallow, Chartruese, Gold, Yellow and White are good colours.

I know this prob applies to the majority of bass dams so im not trying to be "mr know it all", i just figure that the same colour patters in a fly used at those depths might still apply.

The natural food for the bass in Baroon for the large part must be baby spangled perch as well. So maybe a fly made up of light orange, silver, and shades of brown might also work.

I had a lure once that was meant to look like a little brown trout. It cleaned up at Baroon with about 15 bass before i lose it to a snag. I figure that a baby trout coloured lure is also pretty similar to a spangled perch in colour and i guess thats why it worked.

Angus

username_taken wrote:

Hey Angus, any chance of you bringing along some of strike-king lures that we can buy off you on the day ?

Mate i wish! But i dont actually keep them in stock. Too many types in too many colours. The orders are emailed stright to the distributor and then to you. They are expressed post though so only take a day :)

Angus

Archived