Hinze 22/2/08 Lure V Shrimp

Rocket75

The way he tells it, Aaron H had two choices:

He could use today, the first day of his holidays crossing off items on his list of yard chores, OR he could go fishing.

Needless to say, we ended up on Hinze Dam just after dawn this morning.

Hoping to have the dam to ourselves, we were surprised to find 4 cars with empty trailers already at the ramp. Don’t these people go to work? Bludgers.

The ramp was in good repair and we were off with a minimum of fuss. We spent the first half hour or so looking for surface action and throwing some poppers with the hope of landing a Toga.

Alas, it was not to be, so we set some lures for trolling and headed off across the glassy surface. Hinze is a wonderful place most of the time, but is especially beautiful early on a calm morning. Make the effort to get there if you haven’t already, it’s worth it.

Within 2 minutes of starting our first troll, the skeptical skipper was on!

In no time flat Aaron was up 3 – zip, all legal size bass taken trolling a pink Stump Jumper style of unknown lineage.

We had live shrimp on board, safe in the knowledge that if we struck out with the lures, we couldn’t miss with them. I was tempted to prompt Aaron into stopping in a likely looking spot and dropping a few over just to get a fish on the score sheet, but I’m glad we stuck with trolling/casting our lures, as this was the most fruitful method for today by the length of the straight.

Over the next 3-4 hours we trolled vast areas of differing depths and composition, regularly picking up average (legal) bass, mainly on pink divers. Aaron also picked up one small bass whilst casting a purple skirted spinner bait at the sunken grass along the edges using a slow retrieve. This method would have yielded more fish, but we got tired of de-snagging and de-weeding our spinners.

In a desperate attempt to prove that Hinze bass still eat shrimp, we drowned a couple in an area that has produced for us in the past. One lonely little bass took pity on us by mistaking our shrimp for a lure. Vindicated, we sent him back to the depths and took off for some more trolling.

The fish shut down quickly at about 10.00am, and we trolled without luck as we made our way back to the ramp.

Another boaty was leaving at the same time and had a similar morning to ours, but did manage on good one of 45cm early in the morning.

Whilst discussing the difficulty of the currently limited ramp access, he mentioned that there is a Bass Comp on there this weekend, with approx 50 boats expected to launch from the water tower ramp.

Crazy! Note to self: Don’t go to Hinze this weekend!

Final Tally:

Aaron (Skipper) - 7 = 6 on the troll, one casting spinner

Rod (Deckie) – 5 = 4 on the troll, one on bait.

Thanks to Aaron once again for a great morning on the water, and to anyone bored enough to read this far!

Aaron making one of his look bigger than it was ;)

[img size=336]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/hinze_220208_003.jpg

post-953-144598444666_thumb.jpg

Trolling rocks when they are on the bite otherwise I could fall asleep very quickly. Leaves me plenty of shrimp for my somerset trip:laugh: I hope the comp is on Sunday as I am going down there again tommorrow (I will find a toga) but will take mates 4wd in case we have to launch at Numinbah (The way that track looked the last time I was in the area I will say my prayers now for the trailer to hold together:S )

Thanks for coming down Rod it was a great day and the chores that I have been assigned might get started in the dinner break of the cricket (I'll tell her the mower couldnt start;) )

Brian D wrote:

Great report Rod, one of the better ones. I hope you had a good time while I flogged my brain into potato mash. The shape of your lures was noted.;)

I think the name of the lure I was using is actually Stumpjumper. Had a nice wobbly action with a rattle, also got one on a pink boomerang while trying for Cod (Game is on Brian:P )

Quote:

Whilst discussing the difficulty of the currently limited ramp access, he mentioned that there is a Bass Comp on there this weekend, with approx 50 boats expected to launch from the water tower ramp.

Crazy! Note to self: Don’t go to Hinze this weekend!

I just checked the net for details of this comp, but all I can see is the Bass electric round that is on March 2, so unless it is another event, this weekend might be OK?!

Rocket

Rocket75 wrote:

And one of my little-uns.

[img size=448]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/hinze_220208_004.jpg

Pink was the winning colour today, but gold and purple also took fish.

Awesome guys. I am seriously jealous.

I love that green shimmer the bass get. I swear the Hinze Bass have that shimmer moreso than others.

Id say by the bib on that "stump jumper type of unknown origin" would actually indicate it is in fact a Stump Jumper! I could be wrong though.

Angus

great work boys....lookng at that stumpjumper aaron has there he was chasing cod...u seem to have a knack of getting great bass while chasing cod..hey aaron:P

i really struggle to get a hit let alone a fish on a lure at hinze..u guys seemed to have cracked it...well done:)

Archived