Battery question

Aaron H

Well I'm still sitting at home waiting for my deep cycle batteries to finish charging when I should be out at Hinze.

I run 2 12 volt batteries 1 is 115 a/hour and the other 90 a/hour, is there a way to link them so that current is pulled from both batteries instead of what usually happens is me forgetting to change them (I remnember before they go dead though thank god coz I think that stuffs them) and ending up with one very low charge (hence taking a long time to charge)

I am sure I can remember seeing some setup on 4wds but don't knoiw whether that is to increase them to 24 volt.

Help I think I have confused myself:blush:

Aaron Ihave learned to get the best out of your batteries you have to keep them charged, I put mine on the charger as soon as I get home from fishing and charge them each week till Igo again. My charger does the job in about 4 or 5 hrs, so I put one on charge after lunch day before and then leave the other one on all night till I leave in the morn. I am not to techo so find this the easiest way.

Yes you can, but no you wont. To do that and not have a bad affect om the batteries they have to be about the same age and size, otherwise the weaker battery cops a flogging.

Easiest way to remember is to get into the habbit of running one battery on the way out, then when you head for home swap to the other battery.

Otherwise just a simple volt meter will tell you state of charge. Try not to run them below 20% which is about 11.6 volts. (You wont be traveling real well by then anyway, you will have slowed down a fair bit)

The occasional below 11.6 probably wont hurt, but dont do it to often!

[img size=498]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/battery-b2a1165a8027f535a2d9a04b7474278d.jpg

post-134-144598445621_thumb.jpg

Malcom a good Deep cycle battery is usually good for 6 months or more without recharging with zero load. It depends on how much "Leakage" there is in your motor. I have no idea about boat motors, whether they keep chips powered up, etc etc. You could always leave it connected and check voltage daily to see if it is making a difference. I'd suspect not.

• 3 months later...

Feral wrote:

Otherwise just a simple volt meter will tell you state of charge. Try not to run them below 20% which is about 11.6 volts. (You wont be traveling real well by then anyway, you will have slowed down a fair bit)

The occasional below 11.6 probably wont hurt, but dont do it to often!

[img size=498]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/battery-b2a1165a8027f535a2d9a04b7474278d.jpg

Just the info I was looking for Feral! Gotta love AFO, there's an answer to everything somewhere:cheer:

I'm trying to find out what sort of condition my big batteries are in and what life I get from them on the water.

After charging my batteries, when is the best time to measure the voltage? I've recently bought this:

[img size=268]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/meter.jpg

but I'm not sure if I'm using it correctly.

If I use it whilst the batteries are charging it reads 13.8v approx, and the same just after charging. If I leave it for a couple of hours the reading comes down to 12.3 approx.

How long should I leave it to get an accurate reading.

Thanks.

Rocket

post-953-144598460482_thumb.jpg

Rocket,

Generrally the charger wack between 13.2 and 13.8 into a set of batteries.

12 volt new batteries, will read around 13.2 volts fully charged.

Industrial batteries will read 12.6 volts fully charged. (12.6 volts is considered fully charged for all batteries, you just get a little more from the new batteries)

If your reading 12.3 volts from your batteries a while after charging they are probably a little old and down in capacity, just need to keep an eye on them with a smart charger,as once their "maximum" charge drops below a certain voltage the smart chargers wont turn off and will keep trying to charge them.

I've got a set of Trojans like that, they are only about 12 volts after sitting for a few hours. I cant charge them with the smart charger I have to use a normal charger.

I did get them to improve a bit by putting a 6 amp smart charger on them for a week (about a month ago). It just kept belting about 3 amps into the Trojans (which are 220 amp batteries from memory). (I thikn thats called "equalising" the battery)

After a month they are still at 12.4 volts. But I have not used them at all!

When working out your life, just start at the voltage they are in the table, IE 12.3 volts means about 70% capacity, so if you dont want to go below 20%, means you have 50% of your batteries rated capability available for your trip.

I'd also carry a spare battery. But I do that always anyhow.

PS Just half all those voltages of your using 6 volt ones, also they are industrial, so 6.3 volts each will be their full values.

Thanks mate, the charger I am using does not seem to want to go over 85% on it's internal meter reagardless of how long I leave it on for...maybe another sign that they are not able to reach full capacity anymore?

I'm testing 2 x 6v linked to give me 12...should I test them individually too?

It's at 85% now, I will leave it charging for the rest of today, and then test it tonight at intervals and see what it reads on the new meter. Fingers crossed for 12.6!

Rocket

As feral said connecting 2 batteries of different sizes together you will not get the best performance or life out or them.

They will equalize to some extent but still not the best method.

Also remember that even though batteries may stay at 12 -13 volts does not nescessarily mean that they are good.

They really need to be tested under load.

Richard.

shortie wrote:

As feral said connecting 2 batteries of different sizes together you will not get the best performance or life out or them.

They will equalize to some extent but still not the best method.

Also remember that even though batteries may stay at 12 -13 volts does not nescessarily mean that they are good.

They really need to be tested under load.

Richard.

So I should stand on them first???:silly:

Thanks mate, will do.

Rocket

• 10 months later...

Archived