Threadfin mission - accomplished!!!!

benno573

Hi all,

Last night the old amn and i headed out with one thing in mind - catching a threadfin in the brisbane river. threw the cast net around and got some live mullet (and a 28cm luderick) and headed to my new spot x.

nothing much happened for a while as it was the turn of the tide but once the tide turned the fun started. i got a good run on a floating pilchard that failed to connect properly :angry: and then my rod being used by old man got a serious bend in it :woohoo: .

a 15 minute fight ensued with the fish peeling line off at a great rate of knots, all the time dad saying "ray ray ray". i was not convinced and after a few tangled lines and some good deckie work by yours truly a massive silver/gold shape emerged from the depths. THREADIE!!!!! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Got the gaff into it and lifted on board. on the lie detector it went 117cm and 12kg after bleeding. not bad considering it was on 6lb fireline :blink: and a 2-4kg 6' uglystick :blink: . my dad's biggest fish of any kind to date, to say he was stoked was an understatement. will post another pic or two tonight.

thanks for reading

benno <'>-<

Do$tylz wrote:

man thats a great catch. Well done. And a luderick in the Bris river??? I'm guessing you were out near the mouth??

Do$tylz: I have seen quite a lot of Luderick caught in the river. Most often in the cast net but a couple of times on plastics.

They have made very very good shark baits :)

Angus

Do$tylz wrote:

yeah the Bris River is getting better and better. Or is it just that we're fishing it better now???

Too bad the mouth of the river isn't really accessible by foot.

i think the biggest difference is stopping dredging in the river. the water quality has improved out of site and has allowed more bigger predatory fish into the river. there has always been a healthy population of "bait" in the river, evidenced by the constant presence of bullies. there is plenty of hidey holes for the big boys in the river, and it's only going to get better as time goes on and water gets still better. :woohoo: :woohoo:

thanks all for the kind words and advice in my previous thread.

webbfunk wrote:

Awesome, I'm jealous. Good eating?

bloody awesome mate. just had it crumbed and shallow fried, came out awesome. gotta bleed them and ice them straight away though. heaps better than barra. taste is not dissimilar to whiting if you look after them. oh and there's the odd bit of it to go around too.. :laugh:

Archived