Rainbow Beach Trip

shortie

jeff f wrote:

oh i thought we were going to rainbow

the thread is named wrong

i hope we get some rough weather between now and then to carve out some deep gutters within casting distance of the beach

when we were up there a few weeks ago it was so flat and shallow you had to wade out into the surf shoulder deep to have any chance of reaching a decent gutter

jeff, i think this wish is about to come true... low pressure system forming off coast, coming for a walk down to SC on the weekend, bringing a 4m NE/SE swell with it. should knock away a lot of the back bank with a bit of luck. will let you know next weekend what the conditions are like. just hope it leaves some beach behind to drive on... :dry: and a few 6m+ deep gutters right in close. :woohoo: JEWIES!!!! :woohoo:

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

was thinking the same thing mate

i must be getting old and soft

i just went and bought a pair of waders

and got a 13'6" low mount surf rod for nothing with them at bcf

looks like i'll have to dust the old alvey off and replace the 20 year old mono thats on it

I've never been game to wear waders in the surf. The prospect of getting knocked over and getting them filled up with water does not thrill me! (I'm not worried about getting wet, I'm worried about drowning because you either cant get up, or the waders act as a sail in the water and you get dragged out)

Cheers Benno & Jeff.

I am dying to learn the fine art of Surf fishing, just need a little guidingB)

Hope the weather will be good.

Why wade out further than your knees and get cold goolies just to get a few meters extra line out?

Guys, I used to fly fish for Seatrout around the coast of Denmark, in December/January which is the coldest but the best time to fish, it would often be -10 degrees air, the seawater in the rod eyes would freeze solid.

Walking out in THICK neoprene waders were the only way but trust me, ONLY TO THE WAIST!

Getting a your waders full of water kind of ruined that weekend:ohmy:

Question:

What's the camping grounds like?

Any where to get a shower and fresh water for drinking ?

Yaer yaer, go on, bring on the beer jokes......:P

I'll see if i can make it guys.

If i can't, I'd love to lend some of you that have taken the opportunity to meet me, some of my brand new graphite and graphite composite rods to test out for me.

They still have the tags on them and are getting sad not getting used.

How long is the drive from Brisbane?

I'll work out if i can make it first, then i'll confirm the rest.

really only about 2.5 hrs on good tides... depending on the wait at the ferry too i guess. well worth the trip. happy to trial the new gear on your behalf mate if you can't make it!!!:woohoo: :woohoo: nothing like a 15kg jewie off the sand to test out a new rod!!

shortie wrote:

Im thinking of towing the trailer.

Then i can have a 44 gallon drum that i can fill up the water from fresh water for showers.

Or alternativelly we can drive to Freshwater and use the shower block.

I like the alternative.

Then we can fill the 44 with piss :)

shortie wrote:

The propblem with the showers is you have to put ya $$ in to get them to work.

And sometimes they work but you only get a cold shower. Its hit and miss if its hot water or hot.

i've found that if you go in "off" times you always get a hot shower. obviously everyone is trying to shower at 4-6pm, just go an hour before/after this time and you'll be fine, i often went at 9pm (when i could still stand up at that time) and had no issues whatsoever. also, regarding the issue of lavatories... how are we getting around that? no more digging a hole allowed, $1500 fine on the spot they reckon. porta potties?

i will say if the weather is like this weekend you can count me out for sure! :blush: not that i'm a sook, but this is just bs!!!

pity you can't make it gus! :( would have loved to see how the x-trail went on the soft stuff.

Porta potties sound like a good idea. But emptying and cleaning is definatelly not going to be my job.

I cant see it now.

On the spot fine. rofl. I woundlnt want to be issueing that.

Whilst Benno has his pants down in full thought. Ranger approaches and says here is a $1500 fine. rofl.

Hi guys you can move my name to the deffernets but will not be up their till friday night ,at the moment have a two empty seats but that could change, will keep you posted if any need a lift. Also I have heat exchanger shower under my hood if anyone has a sand spear we would have endless hot water

if everyone was to bring a 20ltr water container or two we could get around the 44 gallon drum bit, you can fit a few of the in the back of a car as well. i think i have 3 or 4 of them at home? just spinning ideas out there. also, who has a porta potti they are willing to sacrifice? and i think it will be a case of if you dump it, you dump it! :laugh: or maybe just take it in turns? easy enough to organise, shortie, jeff, shortie, jeff, shortie, jeff.... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Although a boys fishing trip at the beach their should be no talk of showers harden up abit next their will be talk of hair washing and moisturizer:laugh: and if you start to stink go for a swim if some one else stinks throw them in the drink:P

Hey guys,

Sounds like a pretty interesting trip, I'll probably be able to make it for the weekend. Need to check with work, probably have a couple of spare seats too. Got a petrol 4 runner..

Might give my mate Neville Burton a call, he's been getting sand worms up there for twenty years or so.. good bait for the bream..

benno573 wrote:

if everyone was to bring a 20ltr water container or two we could get around the 44 gallon drum bit, you can fit a few of the in the back of a car as well. i think i have 3 or 4 of them at home? just spinning ideas out there. also, who has a porta potti they are willing to sacrifice? and i think it will be a case of if you dump it, you dump it! :laugh: or maybe just take it in turns? easy enough to organise, shortie, jeff, shortie, jeff, shortie, jeff.... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I reckon i will tow a trailer anyway. An empty plast 44 gallon drum. Easy to fill at freshwater. Then we can be comfortable. Only thing is my vehicle needs to be running for hot water.

I have a porta potti. I would be bringing it anyway.

Archived