Kayaking Nudgee 18/5/08

Mack_attack

To have a break from our uni and school study we decided to take the kayaks to nudgee for a few hours. When we got there we were met with the howling 30kt SW winds but we decided it couldn't be that bad. wrong!:laugh: We found a creek and first cast in our new spot X i caught a 45cm flathead:) and paddled back to the shore for a pic. While i was changing my SP after the flattie wrecked it was wills turn with a solid 50cm Flathead in the same spot on his 2nd cast:woohoo: . Again will paddled back over and got a pic. With my first cast with a new plastic i hooked up again to another 45cm flattie :) but didn't bother with a pic. A few more hits then we moved on.

while having lunch on a bank i flicked out an sx48 and caught a 23cm bream again on the first cast (geez these fish are agressive)which was the last fish of the day. We trolled for a bit with no success and decided it was time to leave.

As we approached the mouth the wind was terrible. Combined with an out going tide it took us over half an hour to finally get back to the boat ramp. At some stages the wind actually blew us backwards:blink:

4 legal fish for a couple of hours effort in terrible conditions isn't bad. I'm sure if we tried a live mullet in this spot something like a jewie or a jack may come aboard.

All fish released because we didn't bring an esky.

Thanks STU.

We didn't have much time to fish but on a good day there are some nice snags up there so i reckon there would have to be much better fish holding in them at times.

Oh i forgot to add that will has a pic of his first fish from his yak which i'll get him to post up. It's a beauty:laugh: :laugh:

username_taken wrote:

well done! did you go down schultz or nudgee creek ?

down past Nudgee beach so i guess the mouth of Shultz canal.;) If that makes sense. we could see moreton island before we turned into this litle side branch of the the canal.

The water quality was really good, we could see the bottom in about 1.2m of water. where we went was mostly sand hence the water clarity.

Spooked a few schools of prawns when I was pretty close to them, and the Mullet schools didn't mind, but nothing on the big fish front as of yet for me:)

Brisfisher: Got the first two Flathead on 3" Berkely powerbait minnows in pumkinseed on 1/8 jigheads, the Jack got his second one on an Ecogear Grass minnow.

Next time I'll probably use a heavier jighead of around 1/4oz with a bigger plastic to more specifically target the Flathead:) the current was pretty strong:dry:. Lucky I had a little anchor to hold my place:lol:

ellicat wrote:

If that's the case enjoy it while you can. Guess who wants it locked away in September ?

You guessed correct - Nanna Blight's ALP/Green coalition dog - the EPA

I thought that may have been the case:( But I was hoping it wouldn't :angry: :angry: :(

Are you sure?

Cowfish, the end result is not yet confirmed.

There are some links to follow in this thread to the EPA's plan.

http://www.australianfishing.com.au/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=237&func=view&catid=3&id=96139

Zooming into the map to 3200% shows the proposed green zone goes at least as far a the first "e" in the word "Creek". It's a bit difficult to see if it goes further or not as the creek is marked with a blue line without the ability to show where the green stops (if you know what I mean)

http://www.epa.qld.gov.au/media/parks_and_forests/marine_parks/mbmp/draft_zoning_plan_1.pdf

Cowfish13 wrote:

Mack_attack wrote:
Oh i forgot to add that will has a pic of his first fish from his yak which i'll get him to post up. It's a beauty:laugh: :laugh:

I bet the suspense is killing everyone:D

Here we go!!! [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/1st_fish_on_kayak_Bream_1_AFO.jpg

Ohwell Nearly beats my pb! :P

I would be extremely cut if they banned fishing the mouth of nudgee creek. It was where I was planning on teaching my kids how to fish for flatties. On paper, I reckon its got to be the best spot around for flatties. Sand flats running off into a small creek at low tide, pushing thousands of mullet and whiting into a small confined area, its perfect!

Tim a wrote:

I would be extremely cut if they banned fishing the mouth of nudgee creek. It was where I was planning on teaching my kids how to fish for flatties. On paper, I reckon its got to be the best spot around for flatties. Sand flats running off into a small creek at low tide, pushing thousands of mullet and whiting into a small confined area, its perfect!

Don't tell anyone Tim LOL. From memory the reason for greenzoning the area is to protect the Eastern Curlew.:blink: :S :blink: :S :blink: :S :blink: :S

Cowfish13 wrote:

Mack_attack wrote:

I bet the suspense is killing everyone:D

Here we go!!! [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/1st_fish_on_kayak_Bream_1_AFO.jpg

It IS a beauty! Good onya Cowfish :cheer: Sure beats the porcupine fish and toadie that certain other people got as their first catches on their yaks! :silly: :P jks

THanks for the report fellas :)

Archived