Very Windy Wivenhoe 21-June-08

Schultzy

Picked up a couple of Hobies this morning and wanted to take them for a test run on some rough water.

Where better than the down wind shore in Wivenhoe during a 25 knot sou-wester?

Pedalled both, a Sport and an Outback, from Billy's across to Platypus and back. Man it was rough! Had waves slopping over the nose of the Outback when pedalling more than about 2 klicks per hour. No problem though, the water just runs out where the Mirage Drive slots through the floor. Bum was still dry when I got back to the launch spot. Old mate Roxbee in the little Sport wasn't quite as dry as I was though.:laugh: [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/AFO_7726.jpg

post-108-144598462412_thumb.jpg

Drove through the gate at 2pm and back out at 4:30. Only on the water for two hours, clocked up about 4 or 5 kays, landed four bass and one cattie in the Outback while poor old Roxbee in the little Sport got one strike and missed it. That fish did manage to steal the skirt off his whirligig though.

Rocket75 wrote:

great looking bass Schultzy, were they all about that size ? what lure did the damage for you today?

Rocket

Rocket, Two were big mommas in the high fifties, one low fifties and one high forties. No littlies for a change.

I got three of my bass on my favourite B65D Boomerang in deep purple [img size=295]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Deep_purple.jpg

and the other on an AusSpin whirligig the same as the one pictured in my reply to Terry.

post-108-144598462431_thumb.jpg

efc wrote:

congrats on the fish Shultzy.

I launched at logans at 10 and fished through to 1 for nothing but a wet bum. Man it was rough

Were the fish schooling deep? I tried lures diving from 3m to 5m for nothing

I did't actually find any schools of bass (one big mob of catties though).

Picked up the bass on lures running at around 5 - 5.5m all of the bass were caught in water between 6 and 8m and all were near a change in depth, (ie near a drop off.)

And you are right it was rough. Forecast was 15 to 20 but some of the gusts were measured at 26 knots (48kph). The speedo on the Hobie would drop from 2.5kph to about 1kph when those gusts hit head on.

When we turned around to come back with the breeze I hardly had to pedal at all to maintain 2.5kph trolling speed.:cheer:

thanks for the reply Neil.

I will try the boomerangs next weekend.

I was thinking that the bass may have been up in the recently flooded grass.

on a side note, has anyone had luck out at Moogerah after the fish kill a few months back?

thanks in advance

Nick

Just to take the story off topic, Alex spent last week at school camp on Somerset, they found a complete plastic water tank that had washed down in the recent rain. What was bizarre was that it was still attached to the concrete slab!

Obviously the cocky had concreted it in, when the floods came down it just lifted the empty tank slab and all, and down it came.

I thought you were there just to do a test run of a couple of yaks? What the fish just happened to jump in the kayak as your headed across to the cliffs?

Man thats a huge bass, but at 25 knots I wouldnt have the fishing rods out, but rather the mainsail trimmed right in.

Well done!

werewolf wrote:

that is either a MONSTER bass, or you have very long arms!:laugh:

You did well braving the crappy weather!:woohoo:

You'll see my arm is bent in the pic, holding the fish just off my chest.

You'll never see an arms outstretched pic from me. If it ain't big enough to take a pic without holding at arms length it ain't big enough for a photo at all!

Saw a recent photo of what was a decent barra in a national mag. The fish was held outstretched by two guys that devalued the fish completely. Sadly it would have been a damn fine pic without the BS.

...and yes, it was a big bass.

bootyinblue wrote:

I thought you were there just to do a test run of a couple of yaks? What the fish just happened to jump in the kayak as your headed across to the cliffs?

Man thats a huge bass, but at 25 knots I wouldnt have the fishing rods out, but rather the mainsail trimmed right in.

Well done!

Booty,

When we left Sunstate Hobie for the drive home I said to Mal and Trish with mock confidence (tongue in cheek) that we'd pop into Wivenhoe for a test drive on the way home and knock over a few big bass.

Not much fun testing the craft without a lure in the water;)

Was quite impressed by the fish's cooperation.

I was a little surprised considering our launching spot that there were no sails to be seen.

Might have to borrow a sail kit for the Hobies.;)

hey bootie if your out of control in normal wivenhoe sailing conditions (0 to 10 knt) how would you be in 25 knt :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: up side down :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :) :) :) :) :) :) :)or:side: :side: :side: :side: :side: :side: :side: :side: :side: :side: :side: :side: :P :P :P :P :P :P :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Archived