Brisbane Bream & Snapper Comp Report

Angus

Well As mentioned by UNT, I trolled up a massive squire that I thought was easily undersized... Then I saw Jimmybobs and Ashs..... and thought to myself.... oh crap :( :laugh: I think I have caloundra to blame - seeing too many 50+ snappers :laugh:

We threw just about every metal slug known to mankind at these tuna, from 1.5cm long slugs to larger 5cm slugs for zip.

I bust out the 12cm or whtaever it was surface lure and start doing a fast wakl the dog action, hard to tell if it was 100% correct technique, fish were going mental - droped the lure in their face... next minute oo weight yep, bzzzzzzzzzt bzzzt bzszzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzt yeah this is alright on 8lbs. bzz ping.. my heart sank

Myabe I stil have my lure? ? ? No:( damn. Left the cultiva in the car too, so can't whip on another surface lure :(

They didn't show again so didn't miss much after that.

Big sarcastic thumbs up to the boaty who had apparently been chasing tuna out there all week and had noticed that tugboats and other boats were churning up water and pumping out noise, so thought he could just gun it wherever he wanted. Too bad whenever I checked he had got zip action. Gee, I wonder why. Perhaps next time you might want to take advice that revving up your engine and gunning it until you're on top of them then cutting the engine suddenly will make the disappear....

On that note, well done Jeff on the Tuna, I noticed you know how to keep up with tuna without making them bugger off. Perhaps its got something to do with leaving the engine running, not running over the fish, and keeping at the far end of casting distance from them...

Ray, stonker thready mate. I said it at the weigh in and I'll say it again. Well done mate

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't fish this comp because of work commitments:( But I showed up for the weigh in and too see some old and new mates.

Well done to the winners, sounds like it was hard yakka just trying to catch legal fish, let alone a winner.

Was great to see so many members in the one place, and I didn't see a sad face amongst them, I did see a lot of tired ones though:S . I took the time to stand back and take the whole seen in, to see so many people from so many different walks of life getting along so well was great. There was plenty of banter about lost fish etc and the odd joke thrown around (mainly at Benno's and Ellicat's expence:laugh: ) But they took it all on the chin;)

Very nice Thready Ray, Good on ya mate. Same go's for the Tuna Jeff, well done.

Jimmybob, Is your Dad from Tasmania? The reason I ask is because of the Tassie Devil sticker on the back of his boat.

Stand proud Angus, your hard work is appreciated!

Jayson

Well i started the day with a leisurly wake up at 3 that allmost seems normal for me now the wife thinks im sick and need help i keep telling her i just need to go fishing more and itll be normal :P. Picked up keechie at 4.15 shaun at 4.30 and at the ramp by 5.

shaun and i tried spot x before dawn just, 4th cast i had a good bream on around the 30 mark and lost it at the boat as i couldnt be stuffed grabbing the net ooh well thinks me plenty more in the river . well bugger that was the only bream we saw till the weigh in lol

next we tried up at the rock wall pulled up to see the afo car park about twenty boats in the line all doing the same things so i figured whats the odds any fish is going to make it passed that gauntlet so after about 2 hrs we started moving towards the wharves hoping to come across something fun but alass it wasnt to be the best we got was a not quite legal squire . till some tuna boiled right next to us being about as dozy as you get shaun and i are watching them boil and going i wish i cold get one for bait didnt think of grabbing a rod just looked at the dam things untill they moved out of range when it dawned on us that u need a rod to catch them had a couple of goes but no hook ups after that they didnt get to close again we watched the mad yakkers pe/addling furiously round in circles trying to get one and had a bit of a laugh as i swear the tuna were winding them up it shure looked like it from where we .

From there we tried the poo chute got some livies and a flatty at the pipeline that went half a meter bumped into rod and kat at the rocks at the pipe they were having as much luck as us so we left them to it .

In the end we headed back for the weigh in pulled up at some old wharves and dropped down a couple of livies which got smasshed tried a few more till i pulled in a fat arsed 45cm cod to keep me happy at least it was a good fight in heavy cover and light line.

thanks to everyone for there efforts in making it a great day to be out on the water with a feed and prizes at the end

cya all next time

jason :)

tough Day fro me out on the water spent most of the day chasing Tuna, Casting every slug and plastic I had at them for not one strike :(:( hard work in the yak i can tell yah. anyway I got a 40Odd cm Tailor on a Snapback and a smaller Bonito on a trolled Scorpion (see UNT pics for bonito) a good day had by all :):)

Lee

lol, that was hell and the wind at the ramp didn't help holding the boats either. yesterday was shameful,i didn't have 1 legal fish for the weigh-in:(. i was suprised how nice the guys on this site actually are,i didn't fell left out or anything. thanks for the lift jason, thanks for taking me out greg and thank you for organising this angus.

Was a nice day to be on the water with some good company. I had a shocker. While fishyman and Jeryl were pulling in fish after fish i was dropping them just as quick.

Thanks Angus for organizing such a great event. I wish i could have stayed longer and put a few more names to faces but I was already late for another event (and in trouble with SWMBO). As they say it is easier to beg for forgiveness then ask for permission :P

Terry

PS The ramp didn't seem to bad to me after fishing a couple of ABT comps were 60 plus boats were trying to retrieve their boats at the same time.

shortie wrote:

Wasnt the boat ramp fun when everyone was coming back in. lol

Quite a few amateurs who didnt have a clue.

The secret for holding your boat in the wind is to have both a stern and bow line.

Thanks Brad for holding my boat while I went to get my car.

Cheers

Ray

Well here’s my report a bit late but to be honest by the time I got home, clean the boat and flushed the motor I had visitors and well after a couple of coldies the report took second place to sleep.

Had a good day out with some great fishing company provided by Angus and Jake.

They both showed me up in the fish count but you’ve got expect that some times. (Jake will remind me about it for at least a week)

We tried most of the spots that we can usually pick up at least a few nice bream and the occasional good squire but they didn’t want to play the game.

We tried the pipeline, rock wall and a few new spots and also chased some large tuna out near the end of the container ship births with slugs with out any luck.

We ended up with 16 fish boated, most of the decent size ones were flatty.

The mix included Flatty, Bream, Squire, Flounder, Wrasse, and Pike

We stopped to say hi to Terry Lee and UNT while there was a container ship going out through the channel. We turned around to see the biggest wake that I have encountered on the river. Parts of it were that bloody big that you could have surfed it.

I wish I had of been quick enough to get a photo of it.

Again thanks Angus for the company and for every one else that put in the effort to make this such a great event.

Can’t wait till the 2 flatty comps coming up.

Another one of jakes flatty

1 [img size=490]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Jakes_Flatty_1.jpg

post-1250-144598465468_thumb.jpg

Hey Guys

Was a nice day out on the water and between Andrew, Matt and myself we managed to catch a few fish all on s/p during the day. First cast out near the beacon out front of fishermans island chanel thing Andrew hooked up a nice mid to late 30's cod and after a few more drifts we headed down to the warves a bit further down were Matt landed a nice little chopper tailor. Shortly after we headed down to the rock wall were Andrew landed a few early 30's squire and a moses pearch and i finaly hooked a fish "PHEEEW was starting to cop some flack lol" a 64cm flatty. After a while with not much more than the occasional tapp with no more hookups we ventured out the front too the carpark of AFO boats and said hi to a few and had a few casts and i landed a little sole on s/p. For the rest of the day we through a veriety of plastics along the sunkin wall and gave a few mor of the warves a hearing but not a lot of joy. Also we spotted the tuna and waited upwind for them and when they finally got in casting distance some tossa decided to roar in ontop of them "bloody seriel pest by the sounds of Terrys report". For the rest of the day we targeted bream and i picked up another flatty at aquarium passage and later on in the day Matt managed a 25cm Bream which was not weighd in. Overall had a great day with great company.

Cheers Tristan [img size=374]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/afocomp__2__AFO.jpg

post-1056-144598465491_thumb.jpg

ando_04 wrote:

man that boat looks pimped out 2 the maxxx, what hp it got on it.. and what sort of speeds it doin.

Well done guys who fished the comp... shame about the results.. but thats fishing hey?

Its a 395 A/C Shadow with a 30hp (25hp Cowl) Jap Merc. It did 45km/h 3up with one full livewell. It gets up to 52km/h with just me in it.

The Mad Bomber assualt

Plans were made that Rumrunner and Gazza would team up for an assault on the AFO Snapper and Bream comp :woohoo:

First thing first the BERLY from hell

Ian was on the job

IMGP0167AFO-1.jpg

some more of the secret ingrients

IMGP0168AFO-1.jpg

after a good lot of berly was made .

Time to get the tackle o

IMGP0173AFO-1.jpg

more and more and note the neat little berly bombs

IMGP0178AFO-1.jpg

All tucked away ready for The Day

IMGP0180AFO-1.jpg

THE DAY

we got on the water before light and found our chosen spot berlied up and sat back

It wasn't long and Ian had a nice ray to the boat ok not what we were after but were on the board

IMGP0186AFO.jpg

After that it went quiet but we were treated to a glorious sunrise

IMGP0187AFO.jpg

IMGP0194AFO.jpg

Ian again was on to a nice little cod about 32cm

IMGP0193AFO.jpg

Then he decided to play with a ray

IMGP0196AFO.jpg

I was going to help him I had a small problem too :woohoo:

IMGP0197AFO.jpg

When takin the chance of loosing another ray Ian put his rod in the holder and came to my Aid what a champ

any ways the end result of a good battle and a true test for The Bursting of a Double bubble

The little browning I bought and The St Crois stik I made :woohoo:

:woohoo:

I was wrapt :woohoo:

IMGP0199AFO.jpg

IMGP0201AFO.jpg

Just to strech your necks

IMGP0200AFO.jpg

Then Ian then wanted to try this new weapon

IMGP0207AFO.jpg

After a gutsy fight Ian had another good sized Ray

IMGP0206AFO.jpg

Then out of the blue came this little sucker which I might add hadd the sinker in it's mouth :blink:

IMGP0210AFO.jpg

After a very pleasent day on the water we were just about to head in when Ian landed this strange colored shovel

IMGP0216AFO.jpg

IMGP0217AFO.jpg

Got to the ramp said g day had a chat then as the snags were not playing the game we decided to get the car (@ fisho's ramp ) and come back which we did but only Elli and Co were left :( but never mind It was a Great day out Great boat and Captain and a Well organised event

Well done to the Winners and a big thanks to All involved

Cheers Gazza

Hope you like the pics

Oh on another awesome note, well done to everyone on the catch and release front. The vast majority of fish (pretty all of them) were weighed in alove and released.

The only fish weighed in that were not alive was one bream bound for the dinner table and one mack tuna bound to be snapper bait :)

All in all no wastage which was fantastic. This sort of commitment to C&R will be weghted heavily when deciding exactly what target species there will be and how they will be weighed in at this years BRC.

Cheers.

Angus

After reading all the reports filtering it seems to be the general idea that it was an awesome day out and great fishing and good time had by all. It is a shame I missed it but such is life and gives me more motivaton to make the next. Well done to all the winners.

Brett

yeah yeah Jeff...

I think I was the only other person out there to hook up to one lol after a few quick runs I lost it :( Well at least I know a) that rip off lure works B) I may have been doing the wakl the dog technique correctly.

Gazza where were all the rays when I was out there? I would have found a way to make 'em fit in my hull ;)

Archived