help clean you moreton after the spill

mills

Well now the damage has been fully realised... let's go through what the absolutely pathetic response from EPA and government has led to...

1) 20km of ocean beach on Moreton island covered in up to 15mm of muck - a mixture of crude oil and diesel. a totally non-biodegradable toxic mess. all life on this beach will die. pippies, worms, fish, crabs the lot. the sludge will stop them getting access to oxygen. not to mention the bird life...

2) approximatey 80km of sunny coast beaches covered in muck, stretching as far north as double island point. set to go further with prevailing winds. same damage as above.

3) rocky headlands from cape moreton north to DIP covered in muck. all life on the rocks killed, algae, weed the basis of the food chain. yet again, massive devastating effect on sea life of all shapes and sizes

4) flinders reef. the most significant coral reef outside of the GBRMP, covered in anything up to 10mm of muck. coral can't live without access to sunlight... yet again, effects are huge on an entire ecosystem.

5) all marine mammals/reptiles. these animals need to surface to breathe, surfacing into the muck leading them to be covered in it, potentially blinding them or suffocating them

6) all marine bird life - similar problems to mammals

7) US! brisbane fishos! forget about fishing in all areas affected for many many months to come. even if the beach is cleaned, there will be no life in it. it will take decades for the fisheries to recover to their former glory. this will affect migratory species such as mackeral, tuna, tailor and alike for months to come. a northerly change in the next few days will see us completely stuffed as it will direct oil into the bay.

if you think we should all get over there and help with the clean up just tell ever one and will see how many people really care

Cheers,

mills

P.S. if your not part of the answer your part of the problem

There are other things going on within peoples lives and its not easy just to drop everything and go up there...thats why in one of my posts I stressed those that are 'in a postion to' help out to go and put up their hands. My situation at the moment, keeps me firmly at home, but I can voice my concerns and hopefully motivate others out there that can do something to do it. I would be ever so grateful and have every respect for anyone that can do something to help, but I understand that not everyone is in a position to do something, doesnt mean they dont care, or dont appreciate others efforts, or appreciate the seriousness of the situation. So from my point of view, well done to anyone that can make some sort of impact on this mess...and get the thing cleaned up.

mills wrote:

if you think we should all get over there and help with the clean up just tell ever one and will see how many people really care

Cheers,

mills

Are you part of the answer.

You organise it. Im sure people will show.

Im also sure bigger minds with bigger resources and manpower than you will be organising it.

What sort of comment is " if your not part of the answer your part of the problem."

Pffft

Mills i think you lose sight of the fact that EPA is a government agency - that means our taxes pay them. As in, we pay them to manage and protect our environment's best interests - especially in emergencies such as these.

Self righteous rubbish like "if your not part of the answer your part of the problem" achieves nothing. If you personally are in a position to drop everything you're doing and hit Moreton with some soapy water and a sponge then good on you champ. Don't lump the rest of us with a responsibility we pay our elected officials to manage as part of THEIR ROLE in government.

ok i have talked to some people and were going to help so i dont really care what u say now

No point in taking this on as though people dont care...if you have made the contact with people that can assist, and want more people to assist...then tell evryone who/what/when and where....... I think that people just took offence to the

Cheers,

mills

message.....I'm sure that those that can see past the directness of your statement, and are able, will love to get involved....keep in mind everyone, the dept involved with the clean up has announced today that the number of persons brought in to deal with the clean up will be increased from some 50 to around 100......they cannot seriously think this is anything near sufficient.

Mills if you have a plan or contacts, please share them, its not a time for infighting, there is a much bigger picture involved.

I think the EPA should realise this.

We have nothing to do with the problem. But we want to help because we enjoy fishing.

And not destroying it. However, not everyone is a member of AFO. Minority spoil it for the majority.

Pretty unfair, but 1.75million dollar fine won't restore wild life. Because of the thin level of diesel covering the top of the water. Means oxygen can't get in.

This can be tested. Put a nail in a beaker and put salt in, and diesel or oil on top. It wont rust as fast! So what about the animals?

If they wont transport anyone to the island, there are other coastlines affected on the mainland........can make a start any where else, see how affective it is, and move along the affected areas. Youd have to get hold of an oil recycling company willing to put their hands up to donating several oil recovery containers, a crap load of buckets, brooms, rakes, and a heap of those white full size human condom overalls, as well as plastic gloves. On the water itd be more dificult, but as more of the oil is removed from the beaches, more of the stuff on the water will be allowed to soak onto the beach again, pretty much a continuous process until the spill thins out. The key is to have the numbers there...a hand full of people will have minimal impact...groups of 20-50 scattered along the beaches will clean it up quicker than anything the EPA has in mind. Timing is everything, the longer its there the worst the impact long and short term. The only other reason that they dont want the public involved is if there are other risks they are not telling anyone about...but that wouldnt be the case I'm sure.....well maybe I'm sure.

Guys, don't get personal.

This is a community that unites for a reason - Fishing.

Just someone trying to make a difference. Because they must think something has gone wrong.

I suggest we talk about the spill.

I know that there's articulated dump trucks, excavators, multi terrain skid steers all working on sunny coast, because they want their beach to look beautiful. But they're being told no. Doesn't stop them. Like people shouldn't stop this guy.

Calm down as said before in this post its all very well to keep clean up as I know there are alot of very angry people that feel helpless but in fact if you had watched the news tonight even Media was being turned away as well as pollies on the beach so we don't have a chance in going there rocking up and saying we are here to help I can see that your trying but this is not the way to go about it Just my point

i don't really know much about the whole clean up after a disaster rules .

but common scene tells me that the public would not be able to help ,there would be a heap of health and safety issues .people would have to go through some kind of training and information sessions etc. that's why there are people payed to handle this kind of stuff as well as trained volunteers.

if there is somewhere to volunteer and help well post it .so people with spare time can help.

i also think if there was it and they wanted needed people it would be posted to the public on the news tv papers internet etc.

anyways that's some of my thought's for now :( :S

Davo,

Your thinking has merit.There would be a litigation concern for if injuries occured but unfortunately these days everything we do needs a piece of paper attached to it to say we are capable when in reality you wouldn't wipe your ass with the same paper sometimes.

I think the government needs to cut through the unecessary red tape and allow those who wish to help to get out there and help.

Maybe the cynic in me thinks the government doesn't want the full impact to be viewed by the public especially so close to an election.

To allow the public to assist, all they would need to do is have those "paid" professionals who are currently overseeing the clean up, do a quick orientation with the public(say an hour or so) and then they can oversee the public and advise them how to clean the spills correctly.Yes the professional would not be directly cleaning the spill but this would be easily accounted for by the foot soldiers whom they would be overseeing.Just my two cents worth.

Hulk

I also believe the government should fix it, because they stuffed it. Maxi said that they knew it was happening before wednesday. Nothing on the news before wednesday.

Those stinking close doors again.

Us volunteers would just get in trouble. Lawsuits even. Trespassing, disobeying an action relief plan blah blah blah. Being a fishermen...

It's good to know that you wish to help, but just let those who stuffed it. Fix it.

Hulk you raise some very interesting points.

I would love to get my hands dirty and help with the cleanup but after doing some reading today, allowing untrained people to get covered in the fuel oil mightn't be the best thing. In particular I read an article about the health effects suffered by the people who helped clean up the 1989 Exxon Valdez oil spill. Reported ailments ranged from severe skin irritation to lung cancer.

Undoubtedly oil is carcinogenic as it contains benzene and other aromatic compounds which are proven carcinogens. There was no statistical evidence provided to show that the rate of illness reported was higher than that of the general population.

What I would like to see is the military involved. Undoubtedly they have hundreds if not thousands of properly trained people with the correct equipment. The navy would also be useful for decontaming the ship, towing to a suitable spot and torpedoing it (with the crew onboard) to form anew artificial reef.

Do you know soft drink also contains benezine. Used to anyway.

So if the government allows u to drink that softy with benezine in it for years...

However, they didn't test it. So I wouldn't do it, unless you know what you're potentially facing. As much as we'd like to. Put your health first.

mills wrote:

I can see you've already been worked over for this comment. But yeh, the majority of people on the site would not be in situation allowing them to pick up and ship off to Moreton for a few days, irrespective of how concerned they are. I would hazard a guess that there would be a lot of people on the site who are more concerned about the situation than some (most :huh: ) of the EPA staff!

Personally due to many commitments, I feel quite useless in the situation, despite feeling strongly about the issue.

It is admirable however that you are pitching in to do your bit! Kudos!

Joel ;)

Do you know soft drink also contains benezine. Used to anyway.

So if the government allows u to drink that softy with benezine in it for years...

However, they didn't test it. So I wouldn't do it, unless you know what you're potentially facing. As much as we'd like to. Put your health first.

Sorry to stray off topic with this, but it is true. More the Diet drinks with artificial sweeteners react with some of the other crap that is in the drinks and create Benzine. Last year in the UK they recalled from sale most of the Diet drinks 'coz they had 'unacceptable levels' of Benzine.......go figure, the diet drinks will probably kill you before regular full sugar/caffeine drinks. :S

yyeh a bit off topic. But my mum and dad are on diets... The always by that crap. And my sis and I keep telling them.

But they refuse to listen. They have more un natural ingredients too... Go figure.

Moral of the story - Don't always lash out into things, because they might come back to haunt you.

well the news just clearly stated that only particular groups are helping with the clean with protective clothing.as the oil is carcenoenic. these roups nd main roads and other governement and trained departments.

Well done Mills seeing you told everyone your on th ground floor helping with this cleanup.

we talked to some people and they said its ok if we want to give a hand

your folks agreeing to drive you down to the ferry isn't gonna quite cut if for this one there champ......even if you get a permisison slip.

on another note.....anyone ever see that episode where lisa makes marge take her to help clean up after an oil spill?? they end up scrubbing rocks because all the celebrities were having photos taken cleaning up the animals......i'm surprised we're yet to see anna bligh, pelican in rubber-gloved hand, telling us all how important the environment is to her and the Labor party, how green zones will do everything from save fish stocks, reverse global warming, create thousands of jobs and cure cancer......

On Friday I went to my local boat ramp on the maroochy river. Road was blocked, the council were there with a positrac and tipper shovelling heaps of shoreline.The place stank. There were some half dead prawns on the waterline. The guys there said the yabby banks were stuffed, but who knows.Tried to find out if they removed the boom on the river mouth for the run out tide but no one seemed to know.Then they kicked me off the foreshore. None of the guys had any safety gear other than gloves on. The water was a weird green colour, half tide run out. I went again yesterday and it still stank, but the water was clear on run up tide. Plenty of people fishing. I'll wander down this arvo and have a look and see if another day has made any difference....

Its a bit sad to see such a pristine area so close to development end up looking like the Brissy river 30 yrs ago.

keep you posted.

Dean

We went over to tangalooma on Sun which is still pristine there we saw 4 big ass mine trucks sitting on the beach all day doing nothing except one which was used to debog a council car while two old trucks belonging to hawkins where bringing contaminated sand back to the barge one of which was leaking just as much oil as it was carting. There also seemed to be a lot more chiefs than indians driving around looking important and having a nice fun day at the beach on double time. Now dont get me wrong as these guys giving up their weekend to go to clean up this mess in great, but the number of people not appering to be doing anything constuctive and just swimming and walking around checking out boats and babes had us all peaved. And the bull shat about only trained personal being able to help what a load of you know what:angry: Another question is why cart all the way back to tangas when the barg is able to land at Bulwah or even further north save a lot of down time .

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/03/16/2517365.htm

The beach in the photo is looking good!

Edit:

/>http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/03/15/2516564.htm

I'd probably be more inclined to believe newman on this case though, long process still to go by the sounds

What will happen to the contaminated sand?

Cleaned and shipped back over to moreton perhaps?

Depending on how much beach is taken up, that'd be the best thing to happen, but I doubt it will happen.

Archived