what is a deckie?

noname

Do$tylz wrote:

simple.. one that does whatever they can to help el capitan on the fishin trip. If you've taken up the opportunity from a fellow fisherman who is nice enough to give you a deckie spot, you should be nice enough to do what you can to help.

"Hey rob, what can I do to help"

"Nothing"

"Um.. ok?"

Apparently deckie on robs boat is just someone who fishes and sleeps.

:laugh: happy to be back! :laugh:

TerryH wrote:

Do$tylz wrote:
simple.. one that does whatever they can to help el capitan on the fishin trip. If you've taken up the opportunity from a fellow fisherman who is nice enough to give you a deckie spot, you should be nice enough to do what you can to help.

"Hey rob, what can I do to help"

"Nothing"

"Um.. ok?"

Apparently deckie on robs boat is just someone who fishes and sleeps.

:laugh: happy to be back! :laugh:

thats because rob subscribes to the fact "If you want it done properly do it yourself."

it really depends what u want form a deckie.

if they are experience or a newbie

what i want from a deckie

a hand if needed and help

some1 to share info and try different kinds of fishing.share spots and ideas.

not some1 that going to take over. eg (has there own boat and try's to take over mine)

but advice and ideas are welcome put not pushed.

good company and a good chat.(hell i talk under water )but sometime there has to be quite time.

i'll add more as i think of them.

A deckie should be picked up from his house (so he dose not have to drink and drive) The boat should been fueled ready to go by the skipper, after all it's his boat. lunch/dinner and snacks prepared by the Skipper because he can put it straight in the boat before he leaves home. Taken fishing and returned to his house on the way home and before the boat is washed. :laugh: :laugh: :P :P

skipper = god

a decky is there to help, to learn and sometimes to teach

the skipper allways has the final say

the decky does as he's told or swims home

on my boat the decky is responsible for the anchor and keeping the live bait alive

winching the boat back on the trailer

if the livies die its your last trip......ever

I have a anchor winch so my deckies get it pretty easy :woohoo:

I think a more important question is If you are offered a spot on a boat or a trip

What do you think you should do or offer to assist with not what is expected from you :)

Deckie in my books means an invite to go :fishing: share good times / do my bit / help with the cleaning of the boat etc and carry my weight cost wise one way or the other :)

Gaz

maybe a new thread needs to be made if you take me in your boat I will ?

jeff f wrote:

skipper = god

on my boat the decky is responsible for the anchor and keeping the live bait alive

the "livey revivey" program :laugh:

yoyo wrote:

gazza let me know when you need a deckie, i pay cash...

Mate I'm not a charter boat :woohoo:

and don't ask for money never have never will if ya wanna come out thats cool ;)

all I think most boat owners ask for is and not that this is written in stone correct me if I'm wrong but shared cost on agreed trips ie: trolling for ages or a quik bottom bash determine bait used /fuel consumed / where we go how long for etc

chasing schools will gobbil up heaps of fuel in most boats and so will changing locations to find fish

I go by the rule what comes around goes around :silly:

personally I think the bay sux's big time unless it's sun set or day break so over nighters in winter are the go apart from that moolooabah or goldie are going to be my only options stuff the bay blue water all the way

Gaz

jeff f wrote:

skipper = god

well I might have failed this on our last river trip cos the bloody herring died quick lol but still a good decky hay Jeff?

Archived