which bait

smellyhands

It really depends on where and what your fishing for. With dead baits not many people can go past the good old pilchards either in cubes or whole, these oily guys tend to attract a wide variety of fish in both estuaries and open water. But if u want to get some serious fishB) u should use your cast net and get some livies. Both poddy mullet and herring will do you very well. I have caught a few little bullies, cod, bream, mosses perch, tailor, salmon, flathead and the list goes on using livies, so they are a favourable option.

Hope this can help

cheers brado

I tend to use prawns, and squid ... I find that worms work well too.

I usually get one packet of each and try my luck with the prawns/worms and have a line out - with the squid - and leave that out while i am fishing with the rest .

I caught 4 small whiting from shorncliffe the other day on worms .... then ran out of bait:(

if i ever have to buy bait, which i hardly ever fish with due to my addiction with lures:P i tend to buy whitebait....i seem to go alright on those little frozen fishys..brea,flattys,talior and pike all seem to like em in my area..but bait?.,...lures are the go;) bait gives ya smelly hands,:P smelly hands

Eel:) After yesterday I have a 3 kg Pike Eel cut up into portions for 6 outings plus a monstrous mullet that I cast netted, it would've gone near a kg, all frozen away:) (Won't be buying bait for a while:silly:)

Where I typically fish over summer, Eel is for sharks, mullet for everything else:)

lol whoops the benefit of hindsight. The size of the eel doesn't really matter to me as in the end we fillet it for use:) Terry I'm sure you're not the only XOS sharker who would shed a tear at seeing such a big bait getting cut up:whistle:

Its actually surprising its the first decent eel we've seen for a while though, we normally get them near that size regularly.

Fact still remains, I've caught more small sharks on dead herring than live/dead mullet.

So there's no one set bait, each water system could have a different bait.

I prefer Bony Bream for Enoggera/Breaky creek.

Herring in Schulz.

Mullet/Eels for big sharks in the bays

Post edited by: TerryH, at: 2007/01/27 17:36

Everyone else has pretty much covered the spectrum so what the hell - here's my 2 cents worth! In saltwater I like livies (mullet) as well as live yabbies, but catch most of my big fish (flatties, taylor, sharks) on ganged pillies, whole squid or mullet fillets. In freshwater I catch everything from bass to 'toga on fresh shrimp and Kokoda lures.

Archived