Re:Shame, Shame, Shame !!

Dazzamcgee

Well has anyone thought of Who owns copyright? of the photo?

The general rule is that whoever creates the work, such as a photo, will be the first

owner of copyright.

And their is a number of laws that say you can't do anything like edit a photo without privacy clearances or to use photo in anyway way.

My guess is that magazine and the guy who cut his head into the pic don't have a clearances to 1 use the pic and 2 edit it.

So yeh saying sorry for this will not be the end for the magazine as you can bet the copyright holder of the photo would not be happy and should take leagal action against them.

:laugh:

dhess wrote:

Why didn't I think of that! Maybe the other fella photoshopped Brian Webb's photo and added in his head and a background. :silly: :laugh:

I bet that if asked Brian Webb would not have anymore pics of him and the fish on his camera or computer.

The real owner of the fish would. :) like who take only 1 pic of a fish they catch? i always try get 2/3 pics of the same fish when i catch them.

I think you'll all find that the actual owner of the photo is the person that owns the camera (most likely common law but am sure it's also leglislated somewhere in some obscure act). So the bloke who caught the fish, if it's his camera then it's his photo. If it's a mates camera then his mate will own the photo

Actually the person who pushes the shutter button is the one that owns the copyright to the photo as they are the one who 'created' the image. However for the image to be used for commercial purposes they would need a signed model release as the person in the photo is an essential part of the image.

maccatuna wrote:

mate what a joke here u guys r pottering over a bloodyy pic in a mag stressing and getting agro... :laugh: this is better than bold and the beautiful ahh ha ha im goin fishin ill be back for the next episode..l

hahahaha sounds like my board room battles

Line Tangler Dave wrote:

Hey that's Lucky Phil you mentioned that ... I'm looking out my window now and seeing some beautiful weather compared with what we've had of late with all the Rain. Perfect to get away from the Books, Magazines or Computers and go fishing!!!:)

Cheers,

Dave

Haha! Smartest thing said during this entire topic! :P

Angus

It may just be me but I didn't care to look at who caught the fish,just admired the fish.Plain and simple.I personally enjoy the magazine and don't worry about all the adverts.I like watching to see what may be some day.

Hulk

Was the pic originally posted on AFO by the original owner.

here is an extract from the AFO rules.

Content

You agree that all material you post becomes the property of Brisbane Fishing Online, and Brisbane Fishing Online has the right to remove, edit, move, retain or close any posting or thread at any time for any reason, at its discretion and without notice. By submitting content, which shall include your member name, to the Brisbane Fishing Online site, you grant Brisbane Fishing Online a royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive right (including any moral rights) and license to use, license, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute

Angus always asks if he can use the pic for an article but doesnt have to.

Remember if you post an article or picture it no longer is yours.

If you post it on more than 1 site with the same rules who owns it.

Gets complicated.

Read the rules carefully

post anything, email anything on the net and its public property.

hence why you see profesional photos water marked or stamped with the authors trademark, since that stops the photo being used by assholes for financial gain, without paying or acknowledging the original author/owner of the photo.

mind you, your average Joe does not go to these lengths and this can be easily exploited by opertunistic people taking advantage of the fact.

dave

Shortie well said mate. I had another look at the AFO Terms and Conditions, rules yesterday myself.

Although the owner of the photo would still be the person who owns the medium it is stored on, whether it be memory card or film.

The moral of the story is though, if you don't want your photo used then don't post it. By accepting the terms and conditions you authorise the use of the photo.

Doesn't worry me, I don't catch that many fish, feed plenty though. :laugh:

Hello everyone, I haven't posted on AFO for a while but after reading this thread I thought I would throw my 2 cents worth into the mix.

I used to see a lot of Brian Webb at my work, he has allways been very helpfull, keen, considerate and a friendly teacher of fishing. He was allways willing to give me tips and hints on catching fish that most of us only dream about. I find the guy one of the most honest guys I have met when it comes to fishing.

This pic just dont seem right and goes against everything that is Brian Webb.

Just remember Brian has a very public role in fishing. Giving talks and seminars on fishing habitats, rigs, baits etc etc etc. When Brian talks fishing people stop and listen. The guy has forgotten more about fishing then most of us know about the subject.

Now to Bush'n'Beach, They have editors, publshers etc for this kind of thing and maybe it should have been picked up on, but then again when one of your regular/long time authors that has such a great reputation submits a photo you wouldnt really think photo shop!. Bush'n'Beach has also taught me a lot about fishing in Brisbane and a dodge pic isnt going to stop me from reading the mag.

Lets face it, what fisher dont tell a little white lie every now and then. :P;)

I hape this thread isnt locked like the last one as I belive that it is a healthy debate and an enjoyable read. Just keep the name calling to a minimum huh fellahs :kiss:

Regards Jayson

Chubbstar: Goor to hear from you mate thats all I have to say :P

I agree with you that Bush & Beach has editors to look into this sort of thing, but seriously, unless you intended to evalutate every photo in the mag, its very very easy to overlook little things that make a fake photo stand out. By the way mate not saying this is what you were suggesting, it was just a thought i had then.

This is actually one reason AFO has non edited photo policy. Some love it some hate. I dont really care as long as the policy is upheld. It does stop any stupid and misleading images being posted.

Peace out everyone :P

Angus

no its a fake

why are you guys defending a fake ass?

lame

get real Bush and beach is ,

I rate it as a pamphlet for people to spend money.

I am a fisho and I have no "fisho gurus" in my world, that is just for losers that cannot fish.

also monoman you only got 5 posts noob so why are you commenting her like you know it all?.. do us a favour dude.

dave

pinkey wrote:

I think its a shame that the mods on another site starting with A keep trying to cover it up by deleting any posts about the issue within minutes because they are mates with Brian.

Not so pinkey.

If you have been on AF, then you know who I am.

Firstly, I'd like to say thanks to Angus for this site, been an interesting read.

Secondly, in the main, most here have expressed many opinions, some pure guess work, some jumping to conclusions, some have no clue what they are talking about.

The threads on AF were entitled with the words " fraud " in it. That attracted attention and was dealt with in a professional manner by the Moderators, namely me. !!!

I pm'd those concerned and attempted to play down the situation as I believed there was a plausible explanation. As stated here by other members of AFO, Brian and BnB are a high profile identity and should at least be given an opportunity to explain.

I have spoken to Ben Collins and Brian Webb.

Ben will deal with this upon his return from the Fraser comp.

Brian will contact the owner or the person in the ' original " photo and explain what happened and also offer an apology. ( I pm'd this message to that person, but they have undertaken legal action despite my trying to uncover the facts. )

Brian will also publish an apology in BnB.

I can confirm that Ben or BnB staff had no idea the photo had been " shopped ".

Brian did NOT ' shop ' that photo.

Brian accepts responsibility for sending that photo to BnB for publishing.

Brian, for various reasons has not been able to respond via the internet since this has come to light.

To the others, no member of AF is a protected species. Sure we all have mates, but we endeavour to provide everyone with the same degree of respect.

I suggest that some people here show a little respect to this site, it's administration, other members and people that they do not know.

The posts on AF were pulled and will not return due to the ' legal ' action being undertaken by the owner of the photo.

Let he who has not sinned, cast the first stone...

Cheers Phill

Lucky_Phill wrote:

pinkey wrote:
I think its a shame that the mods on another site starting with A keep trying to cover it up by deleting any posts about the issue within minutes because they are mates with Brian.

Not so pinkey.

AF is not such a great forum

IMO it is luke warm, comercially motivated rubish.

I am not a memeberor AF,

AFO is a far superior web site

cheers

i'll listen to anyone about fishing and i know we never stop learning does this make me a loser or don't i have enough posts to comentdavefishmad wrote:

no its a fake

why are you guys defending a fake ass?

lame

get real Bush and beach is ,

I rate it as a pamphlet for people to spend money.

I am a fisho and I have no "fisho gurus" in my world, that is just for losers that cannot fish.

also monoman you only got 5 posts noob so why are you commenting her like you know it all?.. do us a favour dude.

dave

Gday Lucky Phill - just curious mate, did send a message to the owner of the photo or the person in the photo? Cheers, Dave

QUOTE from Lucky_Phill "Brian will contact the owner or the person in the ' original " photo and explain what happened and also offer an apology. ( I pm'd this message to that person, but they have undertaken legal action despite my trying to uncover the facts. )"

lucky phill. forgive me if i took your post out of context. you seem to be calling for calm for a mate before giving it to some people here. i still find it odd that brian has sent in this photo. he may not have shopped it but surely he saw what he sent in? personally i do not share your view of BNB (each to their own). you can expect mates to stand by each other that's all good. but i believe he's done his dash mate. this of course is just my opinion, which i think a lot of posters on here have voiced. credit to the admin boys at BOF for allowing people to air their views rather than hush it. i once belonged to a footy site that started to edit 'emotional views'..it turned into a back patting site. which is frankly boring so i left it. freedom of speech should not be suppressed. i don't want brian to lose his scribe but then again i don't think it's right is gets swept under the carpet. it's obviously upset the originator of the photo who's (as you say) exercising his rights by taking legal action. nice people some times do stupid things..this looks like being one of those incidents. i'm more concerned about the guy who caught the fish and is now in the middle of a shit storm through no fault of his own. as i've said i like this site and i hope your views/actions do not become common place here. i hate being patronised.

cheers

Lucky_Phill wrote:

pinkey wrote:

Not so pinkey.

Firstly, I'd like to say thanks to Angus for this site, been an interesting read.

Secondly, in the main, most here have expressed many opinions, some pure guess work, some jumping to conclusions, some have no clue what they are talking about.

The threads on AF were entitled with the words " fraud " in it. That attracted attention and was dealt with in a professional manner by the Moderators, namely me. !!!

I pm'd those concerned and attempted to play down the situation as I believed there was a plausible explanation. As stated here by other members of AFO, Brian and BnB are a high profile identity and should at least be given an opportunity to explain.

I have spoken to Ben Collins and Brian Webb.

Ben will deal with this upon his return from the Fraser comp.

Brian will contact the owner or the person in the ' original " photo and explain what happened and also offer an apology. ( I pm'd this message to that person, but they have undertaken legal action despite my trying to uncover the facts. )

Brian will also publish an apology in BnB.

I can confirm that Ben or BnB staff had no idea the photo had been " shopped ".

Brian accepts responsibility for sending that photo to BnB for publishing.

Brian, for various reasons has not been able to respond via the internet since this has come to light.

To the others, no member of AF is a protected species. Sure we all have mates, but we endeavour to provide everyone with the same degree of respect.

I suggest that some people here show a little respect to this site, it's administration, other members and people that they do not know.

The posts on AF were pulled and will not return due to the ' legal ' action being undertaken by the owner of the photo.

Let he has not sinned, cast the first stone...

Cheers Phill

How bout i give you the $5 you charge to join AF and you go back there and dont come back.

Maybe some of our members have no idea about what they are talking about but we are allowed to express an opinion here even if it does not agree with admin. HEy quite a few of AFO members are in fact memebers that dont have AF membersship anymore and are great blokes.

Thanks Angus and John for not acting like know all gods.

Fair enough Phill. I'm looking foward to the explanation. I just wonder if it is a one off thing, maybe he ran out of pictures to put in the article and thought no one would know if he "borrowed one" from someone else or something, low... but never hurt anyone unless the person in the original photo finds out. However if he has been doing this for years and puts up some fake reports for example that massive Jew he supposedly caught in the bay a while back, just to try and gain/maintain a legendary fisho status, then i think that is pretty sad.

Lucky_Phill wrote:

....Brian will contact the owner or the person in the ' original " photo and EXPLAIN what happened and

Just a few questions that would clear a lot up Phill,

Can you explain what happened yet?

And/Or

If Brian did NOT shop the photos, who did?

Tim a,

I would rather let Brian explain it in his apology in BnB.

I do not know the name of the person that ' shopped ' the photo.

IMO, an opinion should be based on ..fact.. personal experience... knowledge or insight. Having an opinion based on rumour, inuendo or hearsay only shows the character of the person expressing that opinion.

Contrary to what is expressed here by some, there is no competition between internet based fishing forums and everyone is given an opportunity to join or participate in any one or numerous ones as they desire.

I am willing to wait and read Brians explanation and in the meantime, enjoy fishing, enjoy life.

cheers Phill

Phil,

I can understand the sceptisism from the members here about AF protecting Webby. Plenty of similar instances of

" IMO, an opinion should be based on ..fact.. personal experience... knowledge or insight. Having an opinion based on rumour, inuendo or hearsay only shows the character of the person expressing that opinion"

have been let go by yourself and the other mods/admin on AF. Mr T's Tinnies springs to mind and you will no doubt recall many other baggings of businesses that went on and on for page after page with very little "in-the-know" contribution.

No, it's not a competition between forums, so please don't make it so by coming along to put forward the AF line. Your personal failure to take a bi-partisan approach to assist with the prevention of the serial forum pests also flys in the face of your point there.

No point in making this a forum war. We should be joining heads to fight the more important war with the Greens......Far more important than this rubbish (photo scandal included) :)

PS Iceknight (Joey) is a long term banned member from here.

Lucky_Phill wrote:

IMO, an opinion should be based on ..fact.. personal experience... knowledge or insight. Having an opinion based on rumour, inuendo or hearsay only shows the character of the person expressing that opinion.

cheers Phill

That is precisely why I was asking you. The majority of people here do infact share the same views and ideas for basing their opinions and as you are obviously quite in touch with the situation I thought you could shed some credible light to dispell the rumours.

No point in making this a forum war. We should be joining heads to fight the more important war with the Greens......Far more important than this rubbish (photo scandal included)

well said ellicat ....

give it up guys and just wait for brian webb to have his say .. and no im not defending anyone ...

Lucky_Phill wrote:

.....Contrary to what is expressed here by some, there is no competition between internet based fishing forums and everyone is given an opportunity to join or participate in any one or numerous ones as they desire.

I am willing to wait and read Brians explanation and in the meantime, enjoy fishing, enjoy life.

cheers Phill

You hit the nail on the head. There is no competion.

AF or crapfish as I prefer to call it is a joke. Its a forum with an over representaion of wankers with over inflated egos. I feel bad for the ordinary, decent fishos who are contributing members there. Sadly a lot of decent guys, including good mates fall into this category.

Its sad to see the largest fishing forum squander the opportunity to use its size and reach to unify fishos with a common goal. The fact that is run by a bunch of sub retards with ego driven agendas does nothing but promote conflict. It really is a fvcing joke that CF thinks its in a position to charge people $5 to belong to a sh!t forum run by a group of narrow minded nazis who can't take the slightest joke,insult or disagreement with their "official" line of thought.

I pledge $20 to AFO. I will gladly give money to a quality forum rather than been forced to pay $5 to contribute to the crapfish's owner's penis enlargemnt fund.

Archived