Keep or Release

Dazzamcgee

Just trying to find out everyone's thoughts on the keeping of legal size fish or should they be released??

I have noticed in some of the posts in the forums that some of the people that decide to keep a few fish for a feed end up being criticised for doing so...

Please post your thoughts......

I love taking home a feed of legal sized fish. I don't like the idea of taking home 6 months worth of legal sized feeds though.

Also depends on the rarity of the species in the location. If you'd landed that 90cm Jack it would seem a good thing to let it go due to it's majesty and the rareness of that size in that place. I'd have kept the flattie as they're pretty common really.

That's my opinion. No doubt everyone else will have theirs. It would be a boring world if we all said yes and nodded at the same time.

My thoughts.

Stay legal and do as you wish - just don't cross the line. I don't believe people should get criticised for taking a feed.

I don't keep fish because I don't feel like stuffing around with them. Whilst I am reasonably handy when filleting, most times I could not be bothered. If a legal fish is dead then I will keep it, but more often then not when I take fish home everyone says great but it sits in the fridge until it is only fit for the dogs or the chickens.

If you have time left to clean your fish after you have been fishing then you could have spent more time fishing. ;)

it's more fun catching them than eating them. throw'em back to catch another day. commercial fisheries take enough out of the ocean without adding my quota to the toll. i don't mind if people keep them unless they're big billfish that aren't going to be eaten. catching and mounting game fish is the same as shooting polar bears- there's no use for them other than the brag, and that can be done with a happy snap.

as im sure you all know i get carried away with people taking fish that are legal, but should probably be let go anyway, e.g bream have absoloutley no meat until there 27 cm's, and even after that, i cant see how theres enough meat on them to make someone think 'gee that was worth it'. and secondly, big flathead, your defiantley entitletd to taking them up to and including 70cm's, but if you just try letting one go im sure you will find the feeling tastes much better. i get carried away sometimes so just ignore me...

It's ok to keep a few legal sized fish for a feed. But there are some that deserve to be released over others. Also fish do shrink when they are put in a slurry so it's a good idea to keep them 1 or 2 cm over the legal size if you are going to do so. I also wouldn't keep a fish right on the min. or max. legal size as some rulers can shrink or grow in certain conditions and it's not worth the risk.

Troy

Its an interesting topic bound to get people fired up. But i dont thinkthis site gets as fired as some about thank god.

I love eating fish and will keep a feed when i feel like it. That being said, i do not and will never keep fish for the sake of keeping fish. For example, not a huge fan of fresh water so i let them go 99% of the time legal or not.

Despite your own opinions, which i would encourage everyone to have, if people are staying well withing the rules, they dont deserve critism. The fact that they stay within the rules whether you agree with them or not still makes them some of the good ones!!!!!

Angus

Legal is fine although I hate seeing those people that take a huge amount of winter whiting, golden trevally or any other unregulated species.

I never thought anyone would bother keeping 50 or 60 trevally until I headed down to my local boat ramp one morning and found at least 50 or 60 trevally frames - tealeaf, golden, GT, bludger & etc.

Ive seen metre plus Queenies weighed in at a local family fishing comp even though there was no class / category for them let alone a prize, obviously just killed for the glory of showing off to a crowd, thats the worst kind of fishermen. It makes me sad to see big breeding fish killed for nothing.

Just because you catch em doesnt mean ya gotta kill em all. I love digital cameras, they can say it all for mine.

I love a feed of fresh fish and my kids do too.

Cheers

James

Post edited by: Big_unit, at: 2007/05/24 17:32

my opinion (and not neccesary right) is if you go fishing once every couple of months and you get a legal fish and you are looking for a feed that night then ok.

if your fish every weekend or more maybe 2 fish a month for tea that is okay i dont like hitting a school of a species and keeping 15 or so just cause there legal cause in most cases they stay in the freezer for weeks then you catch something nicer or fresher and the other fish is either chucked or used as animal feed.

really fish only will taste fresh that night or nextday.

so if you dont want fresh fish go to woolies and pick up some fillets.

I dont think its fair that people on here get criticised for taking home a feed.

I remember a few weeks ago a new member came on and gave a fishing report and showed a pic of a flathead he caught which measured 68cm although he said he released it it looked pretty dead to me but he copped a hammering from a few members because he kept it. Because of that he hasnt been back on since so i think that was unfair.

Personally i release bream if they r smaller then 26cm because u dont seem to get much meat off them. And i think qld should follow nsw and increase min size for bream to 25cm or even 26cm!. I never keep diver whiting i see no point really even when i use them for bait i feel guilty.

It depends on my mood, alot of the time I cant be bothered cleaning them so I let them go but if I want a fresh feed of fish will keep just enough for a meal. With natives I let bass go (dont like the taste) and will only keep one or two yellas (just enough for fresh feed as I don't like our native fish unless fresh)

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.....:)

My thoughts:

I prefer the catch and release method but every now and then I keep a few for the BBQ like the flatties I got a few days back mind you they only lasted for 1 meal as it fed 12 people for dinner.:blink:

I go fishing alot more times than I post and let a hell of alot fish go so I think a few fish here and there isnt to much to ask without getting whacked over the knuckles for doing so....

Thanks again for everyones opinions....

I enjoy my fresh fish doesnt matter whether its fresh or salt water. I also have a vacuum sealer and freeze up barra and yellowbelly to take home when I go away on a trip.

Had some barra from Lenthalls last week and dont know if it was the memories or the good cook but i certainly enjoyed it.

Ray

I don't care if people take home a feed of fish, but, for example, even though there is no legal size for trevally, there is no point taking home a 30cm or less fish and it is a bit disapointing to see a metre + fish being taken.

Also, it is sad to see people bagging out on a fish species

I have no problem with people taking home a feed of LEGAL fish, but I don't like to see really big or small fish taken. And I don't like to see people taking home more than they can eat for more than 2-3 meals.

hey guys, just out of curiosity.. and kind of on the topic.

i always thought the legal size for bream was 25cm, but the plaque on the pier at fraser island said 30cm. and now I see some of you guys alluding to the fact that the size for bream may be even lower than 25cm? what's the go?

Legal size for bream is 23cm nose to tip of tail (as it is for all fork tailed fish). I am not against taking fish on the lower limit, often I use them for livies, particularly bream. I dont take fish to eat, I throw them back unless someone else in the boat is after a feed, then I'll hand it over.

Me - if you following the law I am fine with what ever you do. I am not a DPI scientist, so I accept they set the sizes and bag numbers with a bit more knowledge than I!

If you make a genuine mistake about size, thats fine as well, we will educate you! Some a little more \"vigorously\" than others!

But I am against vigilante policing of it, its a good way to get your lights punched out or a bait knife in the stomach.

Well said Andrew.

If you dont agree with sizes and bag limits dont have a go at people who contradict your opinions. Because at the end of the day thats what they are, opinions.

Take it up with the DPI which is a far more proactive approach anyway.

Angus

I will usually take a couple of fish home depending upon what they are. Will only take enough fish home to eat over the next day or two. No use freezing fish in my opinion.

If it's a larger than normal fish for an area, I will take a happy snap and return them to fight another day. The larger fish are usually poor eating anyhow.

As said above, no use taking 30 fish home and freezing them. I would rather finish eating the fish that we have, and then use the excuse to get back out on the water to catch some more :)

cheers

I go fishing with the kids all the time and although we all love the taste of fish I am trying to educate them on sustainability for their children and grandchildren in the future(if that happens).

Therefore we keep them only if they exceed the size limit enough to warrant a feed. Even then sometimes we do enjoy the taste of releasing.

rayke1938 wrote:

Like your theory Brian.

I usually keep a feed sometimes for myself and sometimes for my neighbours ( I swap fish for pasta , or chooks or use of sausauge makeing gear.)

Ray

Ray did you know you are not allowed to do that! Don't get me wrong - I see nothing wrong with that BUT legally speaking you are allowed to give your neighbour some fish and he is allowed to give you some pasta But you are not allowed to use the Barter swap system. :P

Also I think it is subject to GST.:ohmy:

rayke1938 wrote:

I enjoy my fresh fish doesnt matter whether its fresh or salt water. I also have a vacuum sealer and freeze up barra and yellowbelly to take home when I go away on a trip.

Had some barra from Lenthalls last week and dont know if it was the memories or the good cook but i certainly enjoyed it.

Ray

Arron and Ray my view is that this is what should be encouraged, not dished upon. The stocked product of this nature is just perfect for take home and I love seeing people enjoying the renewable resource. :)

If only they would learn to retsock the salt water species around SEQ like they do in many other parts of Australia we would be busy catching fish instead of writting about it! :angry:

Brian D wrote:

rayke1938 wrote:
Like your theory Brian.

I usually keep a feed sometimes for myself and sometimes for my neighbours ( I swap fish for pasta , or chooks or use of sausauge makeing gear.)

Ray

Ray did you know you are not allowed to do that! Don't get me wrong - I see nothing wrong with that BUT legally speaking you are allowed to give your neighbour some fish and he is allowed to give you some pasta But you are not allowed to use the Barter swap system. :P

Brian, That would depend if it was cooked or not and also whether Ray's neighbours ate it at Ray's place...

GST Sections 38-2 to 38-4. Having said that I'm sure Ray could call his fishing a hobby and therefore be excluded from GST on the basis he is not carrying on an enterprise.

Oops, sorry I thought I was working for a minute:(

before the days of having a digi cam..i used to keep all good fish in case no one belived me..now i let most of them go..il let all my flattys go due to that i dont eat em.thou the wife somtimes asks for a flatty to eat.....im trying to get in the habit of up sizing the limit on the bream i catch...round 26 and over i will keep..but i wouldnt keep say 80 fish to sit in the freezer thou:P .....when it comes to winter whiting i reckon there should be a size limit, i love eating them too but a 15cm whiting?...a bit too small i reckon...since the digi cam revolution i reckon the numbers of fish being released has gone thru the roof..thats a good thing.....

Brian D wrote:

If only they would learn to retsock the salt water species around SEQ like they do in many other parts of Australia we would be busy catching fish instead of writting about it! :angry:

They do stock saltwater fisheries, there was a large number of whiting and flathead fingerlings released into the Maroochy river a few years ago.

Click here for details.

Cheers,

Tim

Post edited by: wokket, at: 2007/05/25 12:59

Personally i think that as long as you don't take everything or too much eg. you have 4 people in your home who eat fish take 2-4 good sized legal fish depending on the size you may need less to feed them that night or week. i only keep enough fish to feed whoever is at home that night and i only keep fish if i know they will be eaten within 24hrs. I love fresh fish! the rest are released unless there is a major injury to them in which case one of the others may be released or someone might get an extra fish the kitty may even get one. He gets the catties but i have to skin them etc.

ellicat wrote:

Brian D wrote:
rayke1938 wrote:
Like your theory Brian.

Ray

Brian, That would depend if it was cooked or not and also whether Ray's neighbours ate it at Ray's place...

GST Sections 38-2 to 38-4. Having said that I'm sure Ray could call his fishing a hobby and therefore be excluded from GST on the basis he is not carrying on an enterprise.

Oops, sorry I thought I was working for a minute:(

Classic Elli - so funny - karma to you. I should have thought of those sections ie raw food material :P

We really get the bean counters going at work when we supply lunch at our meetings, we buy the food raw and cook it in the industrial ovens! (Main Roads allows the princely sum of $7.90 per head for lunch, including GST, so we buy the stuff raw at about $7.90 a head overall cost, then cook it, they they then have to calculate and add the GST!and right letters of explanation to the head beancounter in town. :P dunno if thats right, but they certainly froth at the mouth about it!

Archived