Jarvis Walker Cast net

jham66

I just bought a Jarvis walker cast net, labelled \"The net factory\". On the packaging it says 9 foot top pocket. I got the net out of its packaging and held it up to measure it relative to my height and it was only a foot taller than me which would make it 7 foot.

Has any one else had this issue with jarvis Walker nets or have I just scored the dodgy mis-labelled one???

Or am I unaware of the different way that they measure top pocket nets???

I just wrote an email to JW( Jarvis Walker) and had a bit of a complain. If no one writes me back by early next week I will get on the phone to them.. Sick of big companies not taking responsibility for their products. They seem to do a really good job at out-sourcing people to make their stuff for next to nothing and still selling at their names top price......

jham66 wrote:

I just wrote an email to JW( Jarvis Walker) and had a bit of a complain. If no one writes me back by early next week I will get on the phone to them.. Sick of big companies not taking responsibility for their products. They seem to do a really good job at out-sourcing people to make their stuff for next to nothing and still selling at their names top price......

return it to where you bought it, if you buy something it legally has to meet the dimensions stated.

Big companies will listen to a pissed off retailer more than a pissed off individual.

Does the jarvis walker website mention how to measure the net?

Does your seven footer measure seven foot in drop or in spread? If it is in drop then I will take this one back and exchange it... If your seven footer is seven foot in spread then that means I got the right net but just have unrealistic expectations...

Plastic Man wrote:

i just got a jarvis walker cast net from amart a little 6 footer and i dont think that it is that long i think that it is the diameter that they are talking about good net all in all

The legal way (in Qld) to define castnet size is from the apex of the net to the lead line. In other words not the diameter, but the height. It used to be the other way but the regs were changed in 1999.

Cheers:)

No JW's site has no mention of their nets just rods and reels. The net says on its packaging 9ft, doesn't state in what dimention. So it could be drop or spread, just expected it would be the same as all other nets I have bought.

Sounds like a job for Booty to me!:woohoo: If he's busy with crims I know some people who look scary:evil:

Why can't we trust Jarvis Walker stuff - you never know if it is going to be any good or not. :pinch:

I can just hear Blue Mako saying told you so, buy the expensive name brands then you know what you are getting. I say if it says 9 foot it should be 9 foot - not 7 foot and stretch it to see if it gets to 9 foot.:angry:

oh really?...you know here i am thinking that the measurements are on spread and not height.

I had always thought it was spread...i think that makes more sense.....

i don't really think height matters compared to spread. Does the net at least spread 9?

wait...i think there was a mis-understanding here. Let me get this straight...a 9ft cast net is actually measured regarding height/drop (ie when i hold up the net from the top (where the net starts) and let the sinkers touch the ground) and from that measurement the net should go 18ft from the bottom of the net (where the sinkers are) end to end once you cast it?

i reckon a diagram would work here :) is that diagram correct?

i dunno..it just seems HUGE to me. I would like to see someone completely open up a 18ft spread in a cast.

Sorry if im bieng a retard here. grade 7 sucked anyway :P

I think you will find Do$tlz that it will only measure 18 feet if the middle of the net is flat on the bottem and both sides stretched out flat, your design would only open up about 12 -14 feet.???? maybe i wasnt listening in maths either

Interesting tangent this thread is getting...lol

When you cast a net it basically turns from a cone to a disc. When this happens the Height of the cone effectively becomes the radius of the circle(or disc). Double your radius to give the diameter of the circle. This will of course only work in the perfect world because most of the mass manufactured nets will never lay absolutely flat.

On the original topic; JW emailed me back today and said that they have a 100% money back or exchange if the customer is not happy. So I will be taking the offending net back tomorrow and swapping it for one the right size. They did agree that the net was the wrong dimention.

Funny tho cause I had a couple of casts of the net and it is probably the right size for what I wanted(casting from a Kayak) so I might just get a cash adjustment instead of an exchange...

Arrrrrrrrrgggghhhhh!!!!!

Just took the net back to place of purchase and tried to exchange it for one of the correct size....

So after opening, unravelling and measuring three nets the guy in charge of the fishing section returned and informed me...from a distance that the net is measured from the swivel above the net to the lead line......

I would not normally have a problem with that except that the swivel is about 1.5 ft from the top of the net....cheeky sods!!! and the guy at JW emailed me and said that it was the wrong size as well!!!!!!

I agree totally but unfortunately JW, and apparently all net makers according to the senior sales guy, measure from the bottom of the swivel, down to the bottom of the pocket and back up to the lead line.

I personally think that it is misleading and will call JW tomarrow and have an argument. Something along the lines of; The packaging says its a 9 foot net, not a 7 foot net with a swivel two foot up......

they need to at the least say on their packaging how the net is measured....not that it is a measurement of the net.....:S

Hi Brian,

This is a really annoying problem. The issue doesn't lie with the place I bought the net from but rather Jarvis Walker and their method for measuring nets. I haven't managed to call JW yet, but it will be done in the near future. The net was bought from Amart all sports...

Hi Guys, I have a couple of custom nets and mine are legal ofcourse, measuring from the lead rope to the top of the net with my top pocket net measures 3.7 Now with my other net which has a top and bottom net, the measurement is rolled under the bottom pocket. So the length is measured from lead rope to top of net not to swivel. Hope this helps.

Steve

[img size=318]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/IMG_0004.JPG

Post edited by: Master Sardines, at: 2007/06/09 12:08

post-1304-144598417362_thumb.jpg

Archived