If you HAD to catch a fish

Liquor Box

If you HAD to catch a fish would you use dead bait, fresh bait, hard bodied lures or soft plastics? TNT is not an option:P

I am curios what you think works best- as opposed to what you enjoy most, some might prefer the action of using lures but not really catch as many as often.

Do different methods produce different sizes? for example is their a method that produces less fish but bigger ones? Is this important to you?

Thanks

Gezz Feral you are such a realist. OK I like the feel of HB's but like you say LB hard bodies feel great but don't always catch fish. Live bait for me is a far better option come survival needs, if for no other reason then using ferals method to catch the bait and then hand line out the livies, then sit and wait. Sure beats working your arse off with Hb's & SP's.

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2007/06/09 08:44

Live yabbies have had the best strike rate for me on small fish like bream, flathead;)

Other live bait such as mullet for bigger species.

If no live bait I have found pillies to be the best dead/frozen bait.:sick:

and then HB's and plastics because their more fun and more involved than just sitting there soaking bait and this is what I use most of the time now.:silly:

Oh and have found fresh eel the best bait for sharks.:dry:

if i had to catch a fish?...like if i needed to eat?....well i keep some line and hardbodies in the car at all times just in case im stranded out in the middle of woop woop...prawns or pillies wont last to long in the boot:sick: ..i like hardbodies..so im biased

Yeah thats one I prepared earlier...not..:P

But seriously alot of indigenous culture use this type of trap...

Its use by weighting it down with rocks and bait is inserted in to the narrow end and a twine rope is attached to the other end.

The fish/crayfish enters the trap through the large end and makes its way down to the narrower end to eat the bait(the longer the trap the better) and with a bit of timing the trap is pulled, hopefully with a fish or two being caught....

I actually have a couple of these but they are slightly different. My mum is from Papua New Guinea and basically grew up catching fish to eat each day as you've described.

The ones I have, have small entrances on both ends so maybe more like a fish trap.

Im told that they were able to catch some fish by putting a drug in the water to make them slower and kind of stoned. I guess if you stayed in the wilderness for that long you would figure some stuff like that out?

\"Sigh!\". Okay, so experience has taught me that squid catches stingrays and catfish real good :pinch: However, love my Kokoda's for bass, pillies work real well on tailor (and stingrays and catfish :( ), and I've also found that treble hooks bring in bumper catches of weed on the surf beach at Bribie after a big blow :whistle:

Post edited by: Cliffy, at: 2007/06/14 21:26

Archived