Somerset Try again?

Feral

I was at Somerset on Saturday and the session isnt really worth a post but here it is.

Arrived at the Spit at 7.30, bought boat permits and were under way, we jigged, trolled, cast from both boat and bank and the grand total was 1 fish at 12cm taken on a plastic. I think the 30kmh wind really shut them down and the water temp was only 14 degrees.

Hopefully the attendees of the trip have better results.

Tom

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tom B wrote:

There is a little portable building where the rangers rarely occupy but sell the permits. Otherwise you have to find a ranger or get one at the store near the campgrounds.

you can buy them at the information center at wivenhoe any time it's open

has anyone tried getting them online like the sip?

Shhhhh...dont tell anyone, but I am planning on having a sneaky practice fish either tuesday or wednesday this week.

I have taken all the advice on board about 'its just like fishing for bigger bream in deeper water' and going to suss it out as I have seriously got nothing when it comes to fresh water.

Will post in the going fishing section too, if anyone has midweek days off.

bootyinblue wrote:

Shhhhh...dont tell anyone, but I am planning on having a sneaky practice fish either tuesday or wednesday this week.

I have taken all the advice on board about 'its just like fishing for bigger bream in deeper water' and going to suss it out as I have seriously got nothing when it comes to fresh water.

Will post in the going fishing section too, if anyone has midweek days off.

Cool Booty - you go find the fish and I'll follow you on the day.:evil: Thanks mate, the world needs people like you:woohoo:

bootyinblue wrote:

I have taken all the advice on board about 'its just like fishing for bigger bream in deeper water'

Yeah right, bass make bream look pretty ordinary I reckon.

well fellas looking like quite a crowd, Just going on who has signed up, 14-15 people, and at least 6 boats, probably more.

How about some of the shore based fella's around Brisbane Ie Kiara! there are offers of spare seats!

Roll call from sign ups!

[img size=446]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Somerset_roll_call.jpg

post-134-144598420864_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I think the gate is open at 6 or 6.30 and you can get your sip online but there is a boating permit I think it $15 for weekly I get that off the ranger when I drive in but if he is not there then bad luck I dont bother not chasing him to give money away and never had a problem he is not waiting there at the end of the day checking so if you can get away with it why not.

Thanks Stu - works for me.

BTW Both Aaron and I would like to sort out our boats. There are deckie spots available but if there is noone wanting the spare seats we will just take the one boat. Please let us know by say Wednesday so we can organise permits and stuff.

Ok, anyone know what the picnic facilities are like at the Spit?

My trusty Beacon to Beacon says it has both wood and Electric BBQ's, anyone know how many, and if we need to take our own wood if we want to use a wood one? (No problems, got plenty)

Hey Feral - last time I was there I saw both styles.

Aaron - seeing there is no-one needing a deckie spot how about we take my glass boat and that way we have twice as many shrimp as anyone else. We will clean up!:evil:

I'll put the electric on it so we got the stealth approach sorted as well.;)

OK,

This is the role call as best as I can work out, A bit hard as the sign up page has real names, which is hard to match to \"I'm coming\" posts in here, dont fret if you coming and I have not listed you! We wont kick you off the dam! Just looking for rough numbers, and summarising so people can fill Deckie spots etc.

At this stage it is looking like 22 confirmed, and a few maybes.

Confirmed

Feral (Andrew)(bringing boat)Ferg as deckie (can take 1 more)

Glenda with Lozzel as deckie, can take 1 more

Ash (confirmed bringing boat)plus Deckie

Tim a - (Lose deckie looking for a home)

Ocean Donkey

PC Solution man (Yak)

Stu bringing boat - Plastic Man as deckie

Booty (Possibly Lowood Sarge as deckie!)bringing boat

Aaron (maybe bringing boat)

Brian (Maybe bringing boat)

May pair up in one boat if no deckies put their hands up

Kriso (bringing boat)Angus as deckie

Juddy64 with Deckie bringing boat

Jeff, (with deckie problems?) bringing boat

Ray, John Ford as deckie, bringing boat

Dinodadog and deckie, bringing boat

Possibles

Terry H

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2007/07/23 17:48

Aaron the only problem might be the fish shutting down I got a pm from schultzy saying somerset might have rolled over from the recent cold snap but all the spots I know he mentioned would be the best bet of finding some.

deckie required ,my regular has to work. can take one large person or a couple of smaller ones comfortably.

or if you have a vehicle more suitable for a bank launch than my lowered falcon and feel like doing the towing i'll play deckie and you can be skipper, doesnt matter if you dont have a licence mine covers it.

pm me or e-mail jeffreyflynn@bigpond.com

jeff f wrote:

deckie required ,my regular has to work. can take one large person or a couple of smaller ones comfortably.

or if you have a vehicle more suitable for a bank launch than my lowered falcon and feel like doing the towing i'll play deckie and you can be skipper, doesnt matter if you dont have a licence mine covers it.

pm me or e-mail jeffreyflynn@bigpond.com

Jeff (and anyone else) we can share the Prado for the bank launches. No worries.

Archived