Somerset Try again?

Feral

Ok, how about we try again to organise a AFO day at Somerset dam? Currently there is speed restrictions on about half of the dam, 6 knots. Apparently it extends from the start of the deep water buoy line north. Meaning if you want to operate on the plane, probably we should launch from the Spit. If you want to avoid the ski lice and dont mind chugging along we can probably launch from Kirkleagh.

Either way I reckon a latish BBQ lunch afterwards would be on the cards.

Somerset requires a SIP for each adult fishing, and a daily boating permit ($15 per boat)

Engine size and type is unrestricted, (although see comment above re speed limit)

So we have two things to decide on,

1. Date

2. Where to launch from

I was thinking in late July weekend 21/21 or 28/29.

As to where to launch from, well bass will probably be schooled up still in deeper water, so the Spit if people want to chase Bass, or if they want to chase Yella's silver perch etc in the sticks, we want the old river channel north of Kirkleagh (bewdiful structure in there!)

what are peoples thoughts?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

jimmybob wrote:

im expecting a new baby around then...so im out....it would be a awesome trip thou

That has to be the worst excuse I've ever heard!:laugh:

I'm keen, I wanna practise some other dams as all I've really caught bass at is NPD and a few from hinze and cressbrooke. Are these guys as lure shy as Hinze?

Also my kayak is outta action so if there's a spare boat place I'll snag that aswell.

Cheers

I will be in I would say plastic man will come with me too,I will launch spit end better spots to fish that time of year with lures for bass but will still catch up with everyone if you go the other end could always troll the timber or spinnerbait the power line area so count us in

OK have added this trip to the events on the calendar.

Most likely will be myself, Ferg and Alex in the Silver bullet. If we decide to baitfish will definately have room for another, Lure fishing it would be tight (Alex is 9 years old, and 3 blokes standing on the bow while he wildly casts lures from the other end of the boat would be to cramped!!!)

I should be able to make it will confirm closer to the date. Feral would an electric with 2 100 amp hour batteries be enough to get me away from the ski lice.

Will either take the boat with one spare spot or take the yaks. If its cold I am taking the boat;) Will have a spare yak if anyone is keen.

Yeah I'll try and get along as well.

Not sure which boat I should take but? As I don't know the dam very well I might ask a couple of dumb questions.

I know the area where they launch the ski boats from the bank, near the wall. Is that where we are launching?

If so I only know what I have seen from the bank. With the current water levels can I launch there and head north? If so how far? (If not far I'll use the tinny, if it goes a long way I'll use the cruise craft?

How close to the wall can we fish?

Who's cooking and is Ray bring some homemade bangers?

What prize will I win when I catch the biggest yellow and bass?

28th July Yeah?????

SIP only or do I need something else?

How about a $5 entry fee for the site?

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2007/06/22 06:58

Brian in regard to all your questions - would not have a clue!

My one and only trip was to Kirleagh, and I did not really like the launching there, plenty of people praise the Spit ramp, and it gives good access to lower part of dam I am told (without being stuck inside the 6knot zone)

I'll cook if no one else wants to, I'll bring the usual swag of snags, I'll twist Rays arm about some home made ones!

Ill brings some BBQ stuff as well. The bacon went down a treat last time. Bread, Onions etc.

Yeah Brian sorry i cant answer your questions re Somerset.The only knowledge i have is of the stanly and brisbane rivers up that way, not the actual dam.

Angus

Guys,

Went to somerset last weekend for a quick trip on sunday, put in a little later on but was at the spit.

The main ramp is closed due to water levels, but there is ample bank area to drop in and had no problem getting in and out.

As for the fish, all i managed was a turtle on a spinnerbait :lol:

But we went around the spit end with all the fish on the sounder schooling deep, may go up near kirkleagh though for a shot at the timber would be nice.

Anyway, barring holocaust my mate and i are in, and in answer to your q brian

Didnt see many ski lice at all, may have been due to earlier rain, but if your fishing at the spit the restrictions on speed only start around queen street so prolly a good idea to bring the cruiser, but im sure the tinny would suffice.

Yeah the ramp at the spit is relatively close to the wall

there is an sip and a boating permit of $15 weekly or you can get a yearly one i think

Havent had any luck with the bass yet, so hopefully with a group of confidence we can get into them. see you all there

For a start, launching your boat will be easy even for a 2wd on the gravel, ski lice should be limited due to it being winter, the 6 knot zone starts a couple kilometers down from queenstreet.

You will need sip along with a boating permit that can be purchased in the small town near the spit camping ground.

Trolling is probably your best option as it accounts for the most fish caught at this dam. Boomerangs are probably the most productive lures but most deep divers will do. Also take some metal jigs and plastics cos the fish often school up in the deep water and you can drop the lures on them.

The fishing can be a bit patchy at times due to the low water levels but hopefully the fish will come out to play.

I will be there this saturday and ill post my report along with fish of the month;)

Also for the yakkers, if it is not a calm day you may want to leave the yaks at home cos it can get very choppy on somedays.

Hey thanks for boat ramp info guys!

What road is the ramp on?

Also, i'll have a spare seat in the boat and car if someone wants to tag along. With the lift there though, i live in Jamboree hts area, so'll ill be going the Ipswich rd way there. If anyone doesnt live too far out of the way, I can pick them up on way. Just let me know!

I'll probably wont to get there 630-700 at latest.

WOOHOO!

Archived