The squidding article on the front page

Do$tylz

Hey all,

i could have pm'd this question to Dazza and JB but i figured the answers may help other people.

Guys in the picture you use on the front page, i notice that instead of a prawn jig next to the squid, there is actually a lure (or maybe im just blind). Was this squid caught on a lure? or just happpened to be in the shot?

And Dazza....have you caught a squid off a prawn star yet?

Hey Do$tylz, That pic of the squid with the lure next to it was takin by Jimmybob so I cant really say if it was or wasn't caught on the lure but I do think it was though.....Ask Jimmybob

I've never thought to use the Prawnstar lures for squid!!! But hey its worth ago...

I'm just use to using the other type of jigs...

Hey Do$tylz,

Your prawn star is broken lol, Squid are Hunters and hit anything that looks lke food, you can catch them on any sort of lure or bait, But the thing is squid jigs are designed for hooking squid an counting on the squid to back away constantly and thats why there are no barbs on them. Keep pressure on and you shouldnt lose to many, I have caught squid on floating baits, live baits and various lures around the traps, just depends if they feel like hitting what is in front of them.

So a basic answer is yes you can catch squid on hard bodied lures.. See you soon for a fish mate..

The old elcheapo squid jig with a pillie skewered on to it

a bit of fuse wire wrapped around it to help hold it on the jig has caught more squid for me than the artificial ones especialy at night ;) and I usually use a snap swivel for easy replacement

Gaz

anyway, back to the topic, yea, we normally use proper squid jigs for squid fishing - normally Yo-Zuri Aori-Q or Yamashita size 3-4 jigs. Actually, there's a whole separate range of gear for squid fishing, or eging as the Japanese call it. We have species specific rods, reels and lures as you know.

Squid are actually very very intelligent hunters with very good vision. in very clear waters, or when they're not really hungry or suspicious, they will follow a squid jig all the way to the boat, and if you cant entice him, he'll just shoot off. Squid jigging is not simply chucking a jig overboard and jerking it back. When trailing a jig, squid will often use their two longer tentacles to touch a jig's body quickly, what we call a \"squid punch\", and you can normally feel it if using braid and a sensitive rod. That's why the higher end squid jigs are made coated with a special cloth which feels like fish skin.

normally, i would advise ppl to buy higher end squid jigs. it does make a big difference. properly designed squid jigs will sit on the bottom on the lead weight at the front with the back end of the jig up. this allows you to cover the bottom level of the water properly, and also prevents snagging. cheaper squid jigs do not have this design, and simply tip over at the bottom, snagging you up. there's also a fish-catching purpose to the design, but i'll continue later lol.. fingers're tired

STU wrote:

when I was on my honeymoon last year at great keppel island i trolled for squid with squid jigs over shallow reefs it worked but i would rather be nailing fish

Dude if i was to marry the missus, i don't think i'd even be able to mention the word fishing, let alone actually fish. The missus would throw me overboard.

Do$tylz I would be keen but I've already arranged for a squid fish this weekend.

The spot I went squidding at the other night there was squid swimming around in plain sight but no way were they keen for the jig but I was told earlier that there was 15 of the buggers caught there the night before so I guess thats why they werent keen for the jig.....

I have news for them this weekend!!:evil:

Post edited by: Dazzamcgee, at: 2007/06/26 18:18

Post edited by: Dazzamcgee, at: 2007/06/26 18:20

We went to the Cleveland Mariner and the canals for a lure fish last thursday. We got a few, as well a few follows from GT's and Mangrove Jacks (We saw 9 in one little hole). Any way, we saw 4 squid (maybe more), right out in the open, around midday, so next time we will be using a couple of squid jigs I think =-).

Archived