Straddie 23rd-28th, Mixed Bag!

Tim a

Hey guys!

Troy and I had a pretty good time at straddie. We headed up on saturday arvo and arrived at Amity Bungalows and around 5:15. We didn't waste any time as we quickly set off down to the small private jetty the bungalows own. It was dark and we liked what we saw with the light on the water we saw a few squid and some hardyheads. We chucked the squidjigs around for awhile(first time ever for me) and troy was rewarded with 1 small squid which we chucked out live. We didn't get anything on the livies that night but it was still good to have a look around.

Day 1

We started at the gentleman's hour of 9 am and started doing some reasonably heavy spinning. This type of fishing was completely new to both of us. We spun some slugs off the private jetty for no reward. I spotted a nice little rocky ledge about 100 m from the jetty so we decided to head there. Troy was flicking some medium weight sp's around the rocks on his loomis and sol while I was spinning with my new, purpose bought for this trip, 4000 symetre with a 4-8kg starlo stix rod with 15 lb Tuff Line(yes purposely spelt Tuff) with 20 lb leader and a 20 gram sure-catch Knight slug which I picked because it matched the local bait supply(hardi heads) perfectly. Troy was getting a few hits on sp while I was spinning for no luck. We had been fishing for about 40 minutes at a spot we had never seen or been to before when finally I got a hit on my slug. I wasn't sure whether to strike at the hit but I thought I would wind the fish on as I was spinning and a decent pace. After a short dissapointing fight, with barely a few clicks of drag I landed my 2nd ever mackeral. A 58cm School Mackeral(I think?). First time fishing with slugs and I was very happy! We continued casting for another few minutes before we decided to head back and have lunch and dedicate the afternoon to spinning our new spot. We came back and sure enough troy hooked onto a slightly bigger Mackeral of 59/60cm and I got bitten off on the drop. Troy's Mack fought waaaaay better than mine with quite a few drag squeeling runs. I had my favourite slug bitten off so I wasn't very confident for the rest of the arvo. We didn't get another touch for the rest of the arvo which was a bit dissapointing but to get a fish on a technique thats completely new to you was fantastic for the confidence!

We live baited that night and I was rewarded with a big ray that took a few minutes to land on 35lb line. The reason it took so long was because it stuck to the bottom for ages and I locked up the drag and reefed it out.

Day 2,3 and 4 were badly disrupeted by the shocking weather, But as you all know it wouldn't stop us from fishing! We fished solidly in the cold, wet and most annoyingly windy conditions for a load of pike and a few bream thrown in. Troy was also rewarded with a nice little Big eye Trevally on slug from the main amity Jetty. We mainly explored the rockwalls all along the non-surf side with soft plastics.

Day 5.... D-Day!!!

Well I will start of by saying this was my favourite ever fishing day!

We had a 3 pm Ferry booked back to brissie but had to book out of the cabins at 10 am, Hmmmm What to do in the mean time? Fish!

I had seen a recent report on another site about how there were a few trevs around the Dunwhich Ferry Terminals/Jetty which is where our Ferry was leaving from so this is where we decided to fish from. Troy was using his sol with Loomy and I was using my symetre and loomy both using Softies. I was using an ecogear grass minnow (again matching the hatch with local bait source)and troy was using a 3\" minnow gulp in pumpkinseed. It started off slow but we did see some good fish below us which helped the confidence level.

I was desperate for a trevally as I had been trying for one for ages but had never seem to come across any feeding. We fished from a few of the jetty's around the place when Troy made the wise decision to change sp's to a more natural colour. He was casting in amongst the wash made by a parked passenger Ferry when Bang! He was on! After a short tussle in came a small Big-Eye trevally. He was quickly released and troy casted out again for the same result. I was starting to get cut as I desperately wanted my First Trevally.

The Ferry buggered off and so did the fish so we went for a walk along a rock wall. We fished for about 20 mins when I had a solid hook-up and landed a nice flattie of about 48cm. We headed back to the Ferry area for a hot drink and a retry for trevally. I noticed some really dirty water so I dropped my modified 3\" minnow on a 1/8th jighead into the dirty water and I was smashed for no hook up. Cast again and Bang! I'm on! After a short tussle We saw silver and gold. Yaya! I landed my first trevally. It was a golden trevally of about 40cm. The rest of the session was a blur and we got a later ferry back to brissie as the fishing was soo good! Troy caught 3 Big Eyes, 2 Goldens , actually he caught more but I'm too tired to remember, He ended up with 7 fish that's all I know. I caught 3 Goldens, 3 Big eyes, 1 big Diamond Trevally(my vote for fish of the trip), 1 32cm(fork) bream and a 45cm flattie. We also lost a lot of gear and dropped a lot of fish!

We got the 5 pm ferry back thoroughly exhausted and fished out!

Species:

School Mackeral (2)

Yellow fin Bream (around 5)

Big-Eye Trevally(7)

Golden Trevally(5)

Pike(20-30)

Sweet lip (1)

sting-ray (1)

Squid (1)

Those 2 days were great but the rest was pretty dismal!

Will post pics now.

p.s

I'm sure there are loads of spelling and grammar mistakes But it's late and I'm tired and its better than no report at all!

Thanks!

Tim

excellent report tim;) ..and sounds like ya got a few pb's that trip..good stuff...and yer the diamond trev looks awesome man:blink: ....troy- ya look abit cold in one of thoses pics:lol:

sounds like ya had a great couple of days over there guys..well done..thanx for sharing ya pics timB)

Do$ they look 1000 x better in the water, they have these ribbons attached to their fins that just float around in the current, awsome fish!

None of the trevs fought to well, barely any drag pulled and I was using 4lb fireline!

Tim a wrote:

Do$ they look 1000 x better in the water, they have these ribbons attached to their fins that just float around in the current, awsome fish!

None of the trevs fought to well, barely any drag pulled and I was using 4lb fireline!

might have been the cold water because i have caught little ones before and they have gone off like a frog in a sock:laugh:

Plastic Man wrote:

Tim a wrote:

might have been the cold water because i have caught little ones before and they have gone off like a frog in a sock:laugh:

Probaly! Only 1 unstoppable the whole day, and with all the pilons I woulda expected more.

Archived