Fitting a battery to my tinny.

chubbstar

Hello again, I am being given ( yes given:woohoo: ) a gps system for my 410 tinny.

At the moment I have a 9v battery to run my fish finder but the gps needs a lot more kick, so I am thinking about installing a 12v.

I'm getting quite keen on doing a bit of night fishing also so some nav lights will be needed (more power).

So I was thinking I may as well look into making my 30hp mercury electric start while I'm at it:huh: (MORE POWER:whistle: )

Guys am I getting carried away?:blush:

I've googled looking for what I need to do to insall the items but have found nothing. Any 1 out there done any or all of theese mods to there boat?

Do you know of any sites that could give me info,When I start doing what I need to I'll take some pics and post instructions on the process. Maybe start a Tech tips link?:huh:

I have done exactly this with my tinnie recently. My 30hp mercury came with electric start but I did the wiring for the fish finder. anchor light, nav lights and a fluro for night fishing. It took a bit of sorting out especially considering I am not an electrician. I did it all myself to keep costs down and therfore it didn't get done in one afternoon but it gave me an insight into what I need to do next time. If you are interested in seeing how i did it drop me a line. I am on the northside at Nudgee Beach.0418 185 874

The resident experts on this area are away at the moment (one's catching quite a few bass).

In his absence, reading through this post might give you a few pointers though. -

/>http://www.australianfishing.com.au/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=237&func=view&id=30018&catid=5&limit=30&limitstart=0

That's the best I can offer you:silly:

EDIT: Or you can just call pepe66 :P (who posted the same time as me - sorry pepe)

Ellicat

Post edited by: ellicat, at: 2007/06/29 08:28

Mate here's what I know about different type batteries and uses.

A cranking Battery which is designed to deliver a short sharp jolt to the motor to kick it over.

A deep cycle battery that deliveres a slow charge over an extended period.

A combo Battery that gives both but is not as good as either of the specific use batteries.

A combo battery that is better then both specific batteries but will cost you$$$$$$ big time.

My suggestion to you is leave the motor as is, get a deep cycle closed cell 12 volt battery and recharger. Around a 80 amp hour will run your lights, aerator, GPS, Sounder and cabin lights for about 6-8hrs of power.

You can get a little switch board that you plug the battery into and all your toys will run out of it.

Hope it helps.

Ill attach pics of my setup over the weekend bud. I have fish finder, nav and anchor lights, kill switch for the positive terminal so its not soaking small amounts of juice whilst not even being used and ill soon be adding two cheap fluro lights under the sides to give me more light at night. all of this is stored away in the rear starboard compartment out of sight and very neat on my 4.2m

If you just charge your battery over night in between trips you wont have a problem, it takes me all of 30 seconds to remove my battery and put it on charge whilst im cleaning up from my trip out that day/night.

I am just jealous about somebody giving you a gps!!! wish i could have the same luck. I am thinking of fitting some lights in my 14ft fibreglass.

when you say cheap fluros, can you just pick some up from an electrical store? or are they special marine fittings.

Cheers

Couple of hints.

Check your trim with the battery in a few places, particularly if you have a deep cycle one, those suckers are heavy. You might prefer to site it away from where you like to sit, to preserve freeboard, help the boat plane etc etc.

Attach an anderson plug to your charger, the terminals, and the wiring harness you put in the boat in an accessable spot, then you dont have to take the battery out to charge it, just undo the plug, and plug in the charger. Also you can just unplug the battery and lift it out, dont have to worry about undoing terminals etc. Standard Anderson plugs can handle 50 amps, but you can get them with higher ratings. (Get them off Ebay, about 1/5th of the price)

Personally I dont like to use the boat hull as the earth, I run both power and earth cables to everything, electrolysis is a subject I dont know much about, but I figure I dont want to tempt fate!

Run a decent fuse block, or put in in line fuses.

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2007/06/30 09:11

Another important advantage of using a fitted plug to your battery charger is that it prevents reverse polarity connection to the battery. Some chargers are protected and some have a fused output that will blow the fuse or the cheaper ones have no protection and goodbye charger if connected incorrectly.

Ray

Ocean donkey , Why not fit a rectifier to your motor . That way it will charge when your motor is running.

Oh ,by the way (and im not being a smart arse) That battery kill switch ,should be on the NEG side. That way you'll stop any elec component ie; sounder, gps etc from being SPIKED, when you turn it on. It can happen.

will that work the same as connecting it to the positive? I was going of the info from the guy at the marine shop. that part wasnt in my initial plans when purchasing some of the items to set this all up.

Do you think it would be worth while fitting one of those? will it be able to keep my battery charged all the time?. If not i dont think it would be worth it as i wouldstill have to charge the battery.

Thanks Feral.

also sorry to hijack your thread in a way chubbstar with my own questions

Oceandonkey just a hint. Mount your switch panel in a lidded waterproof box to prevent it from getting wet. If it gets wet from the back all the wiring will corrode and if the front gets wet the switches will corrode and so will the fuses and murpheys law says it will be at the most inconvienent time. I know they cost an arm and a leg but you would be better off purchasing fully waterproof switches and making up your own switch panel.

Ray

• 1 month later...

[img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/new_boat_003_AFO.jpg Well it took a while but I've done it.:woohoo: I finaly pulled my finger out and fitted the battery box and GPS, Tomorrow I'll buy a battery and fuse box. Maybe some led lights also depends on what they got at the boat show..

Thanx for the help guys

Yeah mate I've got the fuel tank on the other side but I'm gunna need more weight. I'm thinking of puting a live tank in the seat on the same side.:huh:

Then I'm gunna need more weight up the front to even it out a bit:whistle:

Any ideas on what I can fit up front?

I'm thinking of puting a floor in, flush with the front seat running forward to the anchor well. More storage.

Where does it end:S

Thanks Dazza, So buy the pic you've ran the line around the bottom of the side.

Any reason why you did'nt run it along the bottom/under the floor? I would be worried about puting a hole in it with a wayward hook:S The kids get a bit excited when in the boat :blink: .

Karma to you for running out and taking a pic for me. Thanx again mate;)

Chubbstar, I didn't want the fuel line running on the floor(no false floor in my tinny) as it would be in the way and could cause a tripping accident and as I like to keep a tidy rig it looks unsightly laying around.

Fuel line is pretty tough and can withstand a fair amount of abuse from the kids/dad and I would doubt a hook could do much damage to it if located where mine is. More likely to get damaged if left laying on the floor. The place where damage is likely to occur is at the connectors, fuel tank and at the engine(mainly) where constant movement takes place but still this would take a long period of time to occur.

As for the reason for placement is to provide a gentle slope towards the engine as liquid flows to the lowest point, lowest point being right at the base of the engine where the tank was originally position before being moved up front. Also when the craft is underway the nose most time is in a slightly upward position which also helps in the delivery of the fuel.

So there is never any \"starving\" for fuel.....

Also cheers for the karma mate, glad I could help out !!:)

Archived