What a load of 'Rubbish'

crazywalrus

I have been biting my tongue to see the comments. Although I do not support litter and will the first to put my hand up again this year for clean up Australia day. This is obviously a bogus picture. It would take years for this sort of damage to occur if possible. During this time the plastic would grow into the shell. Also over this time the plastic would at least get a little dirty. The plastic would be at least tight on the shell. This is just another platypus in the opera pot. They are just doing their own cause a determent with this hash up.

hmmmm the plastic on the picture is a fresh lot of rings. The second video has the expected damage and growth around the shell that a restriction would form. I am not saying that the turtle has not had some sort of restriction just that I believe the photo to be a hash up. I do not believe everything i see on the internet

Actually, I've spoken with fellow biologists who have witnessed damage to turtles just like that in the image. Some plastics do take a long time to break down and I wouldn't be surprised at all if that image was authentic.

Besides, even if it were a doctored image, it's the story that the image is trying to make that is important here. People need to stop throwing things overboard.

They may not come in plastic in Australia, but they certainly do in other countries. There is nothing to say this image is not from another country.

There are also things called oceanic currents.

Hehehe. They are freshwater tortoises in the video and I'm pretty sure in the pic too. Not too many ocean currents where they live :pinch:

The plastic has been planted. Any plastic that has lived with those animals long enough to do what's been done to their shells will not look in such great condition. It will be dirty and algae-covered as a minimum.

No fair-minded person would deny it is foolish and potentially harmful to litter etc.

However, these tax-free, narrow-minded groups do themselves more harm than good when they carry on like this. You only have to ask the PM what effect continual lieing has on your credibility :whistle:

They need to clean up their act as well as the litter....and stop their deceptive conduct world-wide; preying on the gullible and soft.

I agree Ellicat...BTW that pic of JG gives me the shivers everytime I see her upside down lol.

U can't sleep either?

some good debate here. I wholeheartedly agree that we need to do more with the issue of Rubbish and plastic in the environment. It is a disgrace to see all the rubbish along the river and in the water as you drive around. The Photo is confronting and I have no issue with the turtle being damaged by some sort of item. I have an issue when these groups put up a doctored photo. What happened to the original - surely they took one. Staged photos like the "Platypus in the Opera Pot" do the cause a lot of harm which is a real shame. These organisation are required to push things forward however extreme they are. Just get it right in my opinion.

PS. It is good to see a lot of new face here with strong views on this. We should expect a bigger roll up to the "AFO Clean up Australia Day" on the River this year. :P

They may not come in plastic in Australia, but they certainly do in other countries. There is nothing to say this image is not from another country.

Hehehe. They are freshwater tortoises in the video and I'm pretty sure in the pic too. Not too many ocean currents where they live :pinch:

The plastic has been planted. Any plastic that has lived with those animals long enough to do what's been done to their shells will not look in such great condition. It will be dirty and algae-covered as a minimum.

No fair-minded person would deny it is foolish and potentially harmful to litter etc.

However, these tax-free, narrow-minded groups do themselves more harm than good when they carry on like this. You only have to ask the PM what effect continual lieing has on your credibility :whistle:

They need to clean up their act as well as the litter....and stop their deceptive conduct world-wide; preying on the gullible and soft.

but of course big polluting buisiness never "bend the truth" in order to get their message across do they :whistle:

but of course big polluting buisiness never "bend the truth" in order to get their message across do they :whistle:

Agree Eddie - If there is a buck in it they will spin it the best way they can.

Business will only do as much as they have to - There is not a lot of philanthropy in business in real terms. There have been many situations where polluting mines and processing plants in other countries have left rivers sterile from the arsenic leaching into stream and aquifers.

It still does not change the sensational images we see. There must have been an original. Lazy journalism and advertising agents IMHO.

Of course they do, but the thread's not about them. ;)

BHP/OkTedi springs to mind. Look at the lambasting they got over that (and rightly so), but these entities we are talking about here rarely get pulled up and publicly shamed in the same manner. Take The Greens political party in Australia. They spout so many lies and miss-truths and their gullible membership just suck it up because they want to believe it.

but of course big polluting buisiness never "bend the truth" in order to get their message across do they

Of course they do, but the thread's not about them. ;)

BHP/OkTedi springs to mind. Look at the lambasting they got over that (and rightly so), but these entities we are talking about here rarely get pulled up and publicly shamed in the same manner. Take The Greens political party in Australia. They spout so many lies and miss-truths and their gullible membership just suck it up because they want to believe it.

but of course big polluting buisiness never "bend the truth" in order to get their message across do they
of course the liberals and the ALP are squeeky clean when it comes to lies and mistruths aren't they?? children overboard for example, Patrick waterfront dispute etc etc.

No-one is as bad as The Greens. Their whole (current) existence is facilitated by deceptions.

Peter Reith is long gone.

The forum isn't big enough to list the ALP furphies since Kevin'07(gone by'10) :P:lol::lol:

PS

You're a top stir, Eddie ;):P

cheers ellicat, I am just trying to bring some facts to the arguement and balance, and you can't say no-one is as bad as each other, that would be like saying that shoplifting a t-shirt isn't as bad as stealing a TV! Lets face it if you are a politician you lie, some more than others. People will always use stats and arguements to favour the position they support. That is all.

Archived