Where can I get some Green weed or cabbage weed Luderick,

robin

Ive done a fair bit of blackfishing in brissy, i entered a nice one in the brc as a misc fish, there are some big suckers in the river! You could try the weed at the poo shoot ive heard some guys say they use it but i get mine from an unused boat ramp in boggy creek i also fish that spot for them. Ive caught some big ones from the rockwall / boat ramp at pinkemba too. there are heaps of spots around brissy and not a lot of people fishing for them

post-1835-144598789253_thumb.jpg

Ive done a fair bit of blackfishing in brissy, i entered a nice one in the brc as a misc fish, there are some big suckers in the river! You could try the weed at the poo shoot ive heard some guys say they use it but i get mine from an unused boat ramp in boggy creek i also fish that spot for them. Ive caught some big ones from the rockwall / boat ramp at pinkemba too. there are heaps of spots around brissy and not a lot of people fishing for them

[attachment=49718]IMG_4526.JPG[/attachment]

yeah there seem to be quite a few in Bris. I've seen 4 or 5 big ones caught in a cast net in the river at random times. Do you rig up for them like the normal way to target them? green weed under a float?

This is the first time I have ever seen anyone ask about green weed in the 6-7 years I have lived in QLD.

When you set up your pencil float Do$tylz it must be set to be near neutral buoyancy so you must have a range of sizes in split shot and keep adding them until just the tip of the float is sticking out of the water.

You only want about 25-30mm of the float above the water and generally fish the bait about 3m under the float but that also depends on the water depth.

Deep baits work far better than shallow on the niggers.

It is fantastic fishing for those buggers especially if you have a proper nigger setup with a long soft rod and centrepin reel.

I have seen a heap of green weed around the poo shoot at Pinkenba. I also saw a group of Chinese men catch a monster black fish in their cast net of the end of the poo shoot. There is an old European man that fishes for them under the bridge to the oil station at Boggy Creek. He was using cabbage underneath a pencil float. I tried to get more information out of him but I couldn't understand a word he was saying!

Cabbage is a great bait,so is the long wiry green weed but overall I prefer the black weed you occasionally find in the drains.

It's probably every where up this was as no one chases niggers but down south if you ever find a supply of weed you never tell anyone as it will be cleaned out in days

good fun chasing them on ultra light bream gear too

just tie the hook straight to the laeder no float or shot

flick it out and let it go with the current

you can generally out fish the float fishermen this way too and doesn't it piss all the old nigger fishermen off

Iv never chased Luderick before or used weed, so this will be a new thing for me , so im hoping next Tuesday I will have something.

How do they taste, and this might be a stupid question, but what does the weed look like.

they taste good if you bleed them out skin and fillet straight away(keep them alive in a keeper net till you're ready to go home)

because the blood and the black gut lining has a strong weedy taste

there are three main types of weed

black weed looks like black hair

green weed looks like green hair

cabbage weed looks like small soggy lettuce leaves

i like cabbage weed best, it grows best in the splash zone on ocean rocks

Hey mate,

I've got a fishing magazine that you can have for free that has a pretty good article on blackfish if you want.

It might give you some pointers and tips.

Let me know if you want it.

Cheers

Rob

I should have responded to you earlier, don't know why i didn't, my bad, Thanks for the offer, I think I have enough information to go on for now.

Fyi Im planing on going on Tuesday if anyone is interested.

Heaps of cabbage weed on Snapper rocks at Tweed and easy to collect if you time the wave sets. I used to fish for blackfish a lot as a teenager in the Tweed and off Snapper.

Two things I discovered that are DEADLY on blackfish, the first is this stuff called 'Glowbait'- I don't know if they sell it anymore but it was a bait additive that smells like aniseed and made your bait glow flouro green in the water. It made the blackfish go nuts. I still have half a bottle of it that's about 20 years old floating around at home- can post it to whoever wants it.

The second is squirt worms which I have mentioned on AFO heaps, I used to love those things for bait. I used to regularly get good catches of big blackfish especially in late winter/early spring. I fished them up really hard to deep rock breakwaters at dawn and dusk- the best in corners out of the current like at the mouths of little inlets and stuff. You also get good bycatch of big bream and whiting snooping around up hard to the rocks in the low light.

when i was at straddy a few weeks back i saw a heap of ludrick but no weed for bait, you can get it down manly on a low tideup past the jetty at leats you use to a few years back, we got alot of these fish at fishermans a long time ago.

hey Brad - did you see them at amity or point lookout?? I'm thinking I'm gonna have a crack at these guys next time I'm there.

down south if you ever find a supply of weed you never tell anyone as it will be cleaned out in days

never worried about that on the gold coast, the lagoons near the currumbin bird sanctuary used to be full of green weed probably still are

when i was at straddy a few weeks back i saw a heap of ludrick but no weed for bait, you can get it down manly on a low tideup past the jetty at leats you use to a few years back, we got alot of these fish at fishermans a long time ago.

hey Brad - did you see them at amity or point lookout?? I'm thinking I'm gonna have a crack at these guys next time I'm there.

amity point near the ramp,there was a fair bit of weed in the water too.

Archived