Balloons and the environment??

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey I have an idea, it still involves using a balloon but imagine having something like a stainless ring with a spring loaded type clip in the centre. One would run main line through the ring and clip the main line where he wants to set the depth, then tie the balloon to the ring, when a fish strikes, the line is pulled from the clip and now balloon runs freely along main line. Ballon may burst but will remain on the line, if line breaks then obviously all is lost but perhaps the idea is still good enough to reduce number of balloons left floating aimlessly at sea. Should be relatively in expensive also??

Just an idea

Some things are legal, some things are not. Littering falls into the latter.

Now, if you don't mind me asking, why are some things legal and other things not? Cause the law makers say they are

God forbid you question those people or their motivations. Kill them Jews soldier!

Fishing with balloons is legal because it is not stated that fishing with balloons is not legal. Then again, fishing with baboons is not stated as being illegal, but I bet I would get arrested in Queensland for fishing with baboon..... if you dig deep enough then I am sure tampering with a baboon would be illegal

Not my job to dig. It is your job to enforce. If you don't understand why you are enforcing something, then perhaps the taxpayers need to review the selection process

Texting while driving is equivalent to driving immediately after consuming 3 shots of vodka assumption as people tolerate alcohol differently

Failed comparison and flawed logic. You do not disagree that texting while driving is equivalent to driving immediately after consuming 3 shots of vodka; you are arguing that you can text better than the drunk can drive.

but you only lose 3 points and get a fine for texting while driving maximum fine is $2200, but for expediency if you pay the ticket its discounted to $300

Extortion for fighting a He said / She said? It couldn't happen... Well your honour, I was wearing a uniform while I watched that person use a handheld device, then I called it in on my handheld radio.... No your honour, I do not see a double standard.

Driving at a level of .05 BAC or above is a minimum 4 month suspension and a $400 fine....No such thing as minimum suspensions or dollar amounts for that offence.

You are probably correct in that there is no minimum offense. I apologize that the officer I contacted on behalf of my son for his persuasive speech project in which he plans to argue that although it has been shown that texting while driving is as (or more) dangerous as drink driving, it is not punished appropriately provided incorrect information.

both are illegal and one has been shown to be the equivalent of the other. Refer to above about peoples tolerance level of alcohol

Refer to your manual. You are not allowed any thought process on this one, regardless of the subject's tolerance; .05 or above = you writing a ticket while .049 or below means you have to send them on their way. What discretion are you given regarding their tolerance?

Welcome to the world where color exists..... and where fact is better than fiction

And where accepting everything without question makes you a stud....

Hey I have an idea, it still involves using a balloon but imagine having something like a stainless ring with a spring loaded type clip in the centre. One would run main line through the ring and clip the main line where he wants to set the depth, then tie the balloon to the ring, when a fish strikes, the line is pulled from the clip and now balloon runs freely along main line. Ballon may burst but will remain on the line, if line breaks then obviously all is lost but perhaps the idea is still good enough to reduce number of balloons left floating aimlessly at sea. Should be relatively in expensive also??

Just an idea

Mate,

If you can develop it, I will buy it and use it exclusively when I need to float something.

Just an idea

Mate,

If you can develop it, I will buy it and use it exclusively when I need to float something.

why dont ya just use a brown paper bag. you now the ones they searve sloppy meat pies in :silly:

Well I like turtles it amazes me that something so stupid with an inefficient and haphazard method of reproduction has continued to survive sans evolution longer than most of the reptiles/birds and ALL mammals. If I come across a floater it is taken on board if possible or reported if not 1300264265 this number incidently is operated by AMCS an organisation that I have very little respect for but like I said I like turtles. THE REASON THEY ARE FLOATING is they have ingested plastic (the greater percentage of which is bait bags) these floaters also make up most of the boat strike victims. To me the Turtle issue aside any one on the water deliberatly releasing a trail of rubbish be it balloons, styrofoam, plastic bags or whatever should be dealt with accordingly it is littering plain and simple and can in no way be justified. Does the impact I have on the marine enviroment stop me from fishing ? NO it does not all you can do is try your best.

It is all a storm in a balloon cup.

Dont you all know that everything is rosy in the turtle world since they banned witches hat dillies.

( documented proof that one turtle died in a 5 year period due to witches hat entanglement.)

Cheers

Ray the turtle tamperer.

Well what a response, at first i thought is was just a quick question but this is a bit bigger than that.

Fist of all i have shot some emails off in search of some credible studies.

2nd of all i have quickly realised that balloons are infact bad and i will not be using them, ifact there is so much overwhelming info on the web about it i think no one could argue that is isnt bad for marine life, the question is how bad?

For me personally i like to keep my impact to a practical minimum and so balloons wont be a part of my fishing arsenal.

Back soon

I think it is great you have made your decision. I commend you on your stance. I am in two minds as I only probably use 5 or 6 balloons a year as floats. Just a question what do you plan to use instead?

I try to do the right thing by having a Suzuki A series 4 stroke. I do not drive around crazy everywhere. I have an Aluminium Hull not fiberglass and I get it regularly serviced. I feel these things have a lot more to do with environmental damage than a few balloons. I may be wrong. I wonder what everybody else does to reduce their impact????

Sorry ted but your ally boat is just as toxic to the planet as fiberglass ally is wat they stic in things like childrens imunisation stuff wich couses the brian "only in some cases" to become deformed it also takes a lot more to produce than fiberglass.

just saying ;)

Haha I was not pointing out the way each boat was built merely pointing out the difference in fuel it takes to run. For instance my boat uses less than half the fuel it takes Haines (fasteddie) to get to the same place. What is better for the environment? Each person can have a judgement on another person's actions but ignore where they can improve what they can do to improve things. I am not a greeny but I do my bit to improve things. We need to keep our impact in perspective.

As to these turtles. If you do save a floater you need to wrap them up in a blanket. The will get cold out of the water especially in winter. Last winter I had to wrap one up in my track suit pants until animal rescue came.

Also hats off to katicooch this is one of the best posts in ages.

As to these turtles. If you do save a floater you need to wrap them up in a blanket. The will get cold out of the water especially in winter. Last winter

I had to wrap one up in my track suit pants until animal rescue came.

A likely story. I hope they arrested you. Hope it wasn't choking on that balloon you keep down there - the ones the clowns make poodles with. :lol: I must admit I've had the odd turtle trying to poke it's head out too....

Is it a full moon tonight ?

I have nothing against turtles either.

post-564-144598809131_thumb.jpg

I like turtles too. Except the one that jumped onto my x-rap trolled at 8knots. It tried to bite me when I unhooked it. Seriously I think they are beautiful animals.

I find it extremely hard to believe a turtle wouldn't be able to pass a few fragments of a ruptured balloon. I am sure bait and shoppng bags are an entirely different story.

I will continue to use balloons as their impact is negligible compared to thousands of tons of plastic that is washed into the ocean by runoff or even dumped from ships offshore. Like others said, if you can't handle a bit of unavoidable waste resulting from fishing you best not fish. Everyone of us is eventually going to get snagged and lose a rig or two. That being said I am very careful not to intentionally drop any line or any other litter into the water.

When there is some public do and they release thousands of helium filled balloons where do you think they end up?

Ellicat your blatant disrespect and stereotyping of anyone with an opinion different to yours don't do you any favors that is for sure.

I agree with those sentiments,the use of words such as idiot,scumbag etc come to mind ;)

It is all a storm in a balloon cup.

Dont you all know that everything is rosy in the turtle world since they banned witches hat dillies.

( documented proof that one turtle died in a 5 year period due to witches hat entanglement.)

Cheers

Ray the turtle tamperer.

[attachment]Hawksbill.bmp[/attachment]

One Hawksbill Ray not sure of total numbers of other species.

AMCS, NPWS or Trevor Long will happily provide you with photographic evidence for what its worth. Unfortunately they dont reply to my emails and my acute coulrophobia precludes me from talking to them. Have released 2 live Greens from witches hats myself but have never actually seen a dead one entangled. The cheap rectangular opening ones account for most deaths mostly juveniles. Resuscitated 2 of 3 juvie Loggerheads that a very distraught family had in there boat at Bongaree ramp once from the 8 rectangular opening traps they had set. These should also be banned as they have in freshwater. Easy enough to catch sandies in pot that excludes turtles.

OOPS my pic is no good, google and you will surely find it as well as endless images of dead and trapped turtles.

Though I profess to being a minimum imact fisherman I will admit that I use Turtles as a guide to find fish on reef and algal/sponge grounds in the Bay. When doing this my lure of choice is usually Gulp plastics Turtles love Gulp, have hooked a fair few, sometimes you can get them to the boat and remove it more often not. An adult Green will tow the yak at a fair pace and can not be brought alongside. This has not stopped me from fishing in this way and I will continue to do so.

Just an idea

Mate,

Downrigger clip might work

Ellicat your blatant disrespect and stereotyping of anyone with an opinion different to yours don't do you any favors that is for sure.

I agree with those sentiments,the use of words such as idiot,scumbag etc come to mind ;)

nah, we all love ellicat, could just be a little more articulate with his assessment of those with a differing opinion.

like i said, i use more than 500 balloons a yr fishing for sharks, tuna, mackeral ect.

when fishing for tuna, sometime i use up to 4 balloons to float it against the current using the wind.

now if people were so worried about afew balloons floating around, turtles eating them, dont go out in your boat, you might hit a turtle, dont drive your boat, your polluting the water, dont go fishing, your leaving sinker and line on the oceans floor that a turtle can get tangled up in and the list goes on. as far as i am concerned, if your going to do 1, do all of them. i for one think a ballon is just a tiny speck in the broarded aspect of this. boats and rubbish kill lots more turtles than a balloon will ever.

but hear is a little thing i practice anyway due to the balloons i leave floating....
/>http://www.take3.org.au/

like i said, i use more than 500 balloons a yr fishing for sharks, tuna, mackeral ect.

when fishing for tuna, sometime i use up to 4 balloons to float it against the current using the wind.

now if people were so worried about afew balloons floating around, turtles eating them, dont go out in your boat, you might hit a turtle, dont drive your boat, your polluting the water, dont go fishing, your leaving sinker and line on the oceans floor that a turtle can get tangled up in and the list goes on. as far as i am concerned, if your going to do 1, do all of them. i for one think a ballon is just a tiny speck in the broarded aspect of this. boats and rubbish kill lots more turtles than a balloon will ever.

but hear is a little thing i practice anyway due to the balloons i leave floating....
/>http://www.take3.org.au/

Onya Kurt!

I make it a habit to pick up rubbish any time I am out fishing. My kid gets annoyed "That's not our garbage, dad" "Doesn't matter that it isn't ours, it is here. Pick it up."

Problem SOLVED!

/>http://www.adulttoyscorner.com.au/lollipop-licks-edible-condoms.html?utm_source=getprice&utm_medium=cpc

Product Description

Lollipop Licks Edible Condoms at the Adult Toys Corner

Additional Information

Available in Colours Multicolour

They even come in different colours so you can see them easily. They are edible, so the turtle doesn't die. They are multi-functional so if you get lost at sea and that deckie starts to become attractive.....

:silly: :silly: :silly: :silly:

Does edible mean that you can actually digest it? or does it just mean its safe to suck on it? Because if they are made of something that can actually be digested, its not a silly idea.

Problem SOLVED!

/>http://www.adulttoyscorner.com.au/lollipop-licks-edible-condoms.html?utm_source=getprice&utm_medium=cpc

Product Description

Additional Information

Available in Colours Multicolour

They even come in different colours so you can see them easily. They are edible, so the turtle doesn't die. They are multi-functional so if you get lost at sea and that deckie starts to become attractive.....

:silly: :silly: :silly: :silly:

Yep so I'm never going fishing with you Gary....I know ur intentions lol

Does edible mean that you can actually digest it? or does it just mean its safe to suck on it? Because if they are made of something that can actually be digested, its not a silly idea.

Yeah, but you have to keep the wrappers and be brave enough to go back to the ramp with your 2 mates on the boat as you dispose of 18 condom wrappers.... (You don't want to litter you know)

Archived