Balloons and the environment??

Hi peoples, i have never done ballooning but am seriously considering it for my first attempt at some cobia this winter and having seen so many un-manned ballons floating around last few trips i came to be thinking about how they effect the environment. I read that latex ballons biodegrade quite rapidly (about same timespan as an oak leaf is what i read) but i am more focussed on the effect on a turtle or other species if swallowed or infact if any species would infact swallow a deflated or semi deflated balloon (i'm guessing yes).

Has anyone got any feedback on this?

Is there such thing as a balloon specifically for fishing??

I'm no full blown greenie or anything but i am quite passionate about sensibility and sustainability.

Cheers Guys

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just found this article, my suspicions were justified i think, balloon releases are actually banned in NSW so not sure how fishing with ballons stands with this?? Certainly ballooning seems to be a thoughtless style of fishing, would be keen to hear of any alternatives you guys are using as i am sure i am not the only one conscious of this.

Article source
/>http://www.seaturtlefoundation.org/stf-current-projects/campaigns/marine-debris/

Hundreds of balloons ascending into the sky can be an amazing sight. However people seldom think what happens to all those balloons once they return to earth. Few people realise that a balloon release that is over in a matter of minutes, leaves a legacy that remains for months, if not years.

Balloon litter floating at sea can be deadly for many animals. Sea turtles are particularly at risk as they mistake deflated balloons for their jellyfish food. Swallowed balloons block their gut and lead to death by starvation. Entanglement and subsequent drowning for baby turtles is an added risk. These risks also affect other marine wildlife like seabirds, dolphins and fish.

Most balloons are made from ‘biodegradable’ latex, which degrades on exposure to air. However degradation can take up to six months and balloons floating in seawater can take up to twelve months to degrade.

Balloon releases have been banned in many places, including New South Wales in Australia, Plymouth City and Lancaster in the UK and Florida, California and Texas in the USA.

Sea Turtle Foundation is calling for a total ban of balloon releases worldwide.

Just as there are unlucky humans, there are unlucky turtles. :lol:

You could use plastic floats attached to your line but they don't catch much wind. Bubblegum perhaps ? :P

Styrofoam is probably best but becomes an eye-sore (and emotive ammunition for The Greens) when it ends up in the Great Plastic Circle.

As for the biodegradable balloons you would need to check with a non-aligned vet to establish whether their gut acids would take care of the material or not.

As for other fish taking a balloon - who cares - they were going to die anyway. Also their sustainable population would not be adversely affected by the death of 100 per year from balloons. A lot lot more fish than balloons in that ocean.

Would be interested to hear what your decision and research is. :)

Just found this article, my suspicions were justified i think, balloon releases are actually banned in NSW so not sure how fishing with ballons stands with this?? Certainly ballooning seems to be a thoughtless style of fishing, would be keen to hear of any alternatives you guys are using as i am sure i am not the only one conscious of this.

Article source
/>http://www.seaturtlefoundation.org/stf-current-projects/campaigns/marine-debris/

Hundreds of balloons ascending into the sky can be an amazing sight. However people seldom think what happens to all those balloons once they return to earth. Few people realise that a balloon release that is over in a matter of minutes, leaves a legacy that remains for months, if not years.

Balloon litter floating at sea can be deadly for many animals. Sea turtles are particularly at risk as they mistake deflated balloons for their jellyfish food. Swallowed balloons block their gut and lead to death by starvation. Entanglement and subsequent drowning for baby turtles is an added risk. These risks also affect other marine wildlife like seabirds, dolphins and fish.

Most balloons are made from ‘biodegradable’ latex, which degrades on exposure to air. However degradation can take up to six months and balloons floating in seawater can take up to twelve months to degrade.

Balloon releases have been banned in many places, including New South Wales in Australia, Plymouth City and Lancaster in the UK and Florida, California and Texas in the USA.

Sea Turtle Foundation is calling for a total ban of balloon releases worldwide.

You're kidding me....

You need to find some credible unbiased source to allay your concerns.

Can you really imagine how a bay sea-turtle could become entangled in a balloon ? :lol::lol::lol: Highly unlikely. Even if it happened, it is one of a million turtles.

This article was probably written by an emo chick that hasn't been outdoors since she couldn't afford the white makeup. Seriously, these article are written by emotives with non-credible imaginations. Please seek the truth from a source that will give you unbiased FACTS not some body whose entire existence relies on painting the bleakest picture.

Nothing wrong with some scepticism. Doesn’t seem impossible that a balloon could cause sea life harm. Certainly there will be many items that get washed into the sea that are far more detrimental. Still not sure I’d be comfortable throwing potentially damaging waste into the water.

Turtles with their cute faces certainly make for great ambassadors for the greeny cause, expect one of their biggest threats in the bay are outboard props.

All that aside not sure what Emo chicks have to do with it. Not entirely kosher moderation :).

Nothing wrong with some scepticism. Doesn’t seem impossible that a balloon could cause sea life harm. Certainly there will be many items that get washed into the sea that are far more detrimental. Still not sure I’d be comfortable throwing potentially damaging waste into the water.

Turtles with their cute faces certainly make for great ambassadors for the greeny cause, expect one of their biggest threats in the bay are outboard props.

All that aside not sure what Emo chicks have to do with it. Not entirely kosher moderation :).

what about the line hooks bla bla bla that a turtle can get caught up in, that a bust of from a fish leaves befind of a snag ect.......

Still not sure I’d becomfortable throwing potentially damaging...

not a dig, just a point, its along the same lines

Sea Turtles ingest plastic, latex and anything that looks or tastes like food, simple search with the right key words ellicat will give you pages of stuff, discount the emotive green stuff and there are reams of peer reviewed empirical studies on the gut contents of dead sea turtles of every species. In simple terms using breakaway balloons or styrofoam would be undeniably littering which you can be fined for and something you would hope any responsible angler would not do.

It is good to see people passionate on both sides of the debate. I personally do not feel totally comfortable using Balloons but as fisherman we happily use mono and flurocarbon line, braid, Lead sinkers and Jigheads and polystyrene floats. We jump in out 2 stroke outboards (some not EFI) and blow the exhaust back into the water. Drive our 4x4 to tow the boat. The occasional Balloon I use will probably not have as much effect as this. We as humans have an impact but we should always keep it in perspective.

If you are concerned use a cork float but I reckon it would also persist in the environment for a long time.

Ellicat is a passionate person on this subject and I do not think he needs to bite his tongue just because he is a mod. Passionate debate is how we learn and determine or change our viewpoints. Bring on debate I say.

Ellicat is a passionate person on this subject and I do not think he needs to bite his tongue just because he is a mod. Passionate debate is how we learn and determine or change our viewpoints. Bring on debate I say.

Its also part of a forum.

Ive never balloon fished until the weekend, and during the time using it i did wonder about the pollution factor. Im with Ted in the fact that there are alot of other things that we as fisherman do that affects the overall health of the system. We need to just try and limit the impact we have, because there is no way we can stop it.

Whos up for designing some eco friendly balloons?

For those who do baloon out baits...is it possible to tie another line to it ( cheap mono) an once ur happy with where the bait is just detach the bait from the baloon like u usally do, and just pull the other line in with the baloon still attached..then after the trip you can dispose of the baloon properly.

Just a thought

I dont think its in the site rules anywhere that mods are not allowed an opinion.

But i do think that it states somewhere that if a mod doesnt like your opinion they are obliged to delete your post. :whistle: :whistle:

It is good to see people passionate on both sides of the debate. I personally do not feel totally comfortable using Balloons but as fisherman we happily use mono and flurocarbon line, braid, Lead sinkers and Jigheads and polystyrene floats. We jump in out 2 stroke outboards (some not EFI) and blow the exhaust back into the water. Drive our 4x4 to tow the boat. The occasional Balloon I use will probably not have as much effect as this. We as humans have an impact but we should always keep it in perspective.

If you are concerned use a cork float but I reckon it would also persist in the environment for a long time.

Wouldn't say I'm passionate, and like your point about the other detrimental components of fishing. Just think this forum has a social component that's important to it functioning as a business and more importantly a community. If people of authority are making negative comments about stereotypes it's not exactly welcoming. Come along to the socials you emo greeny scum :) and while you're at it get a tan :lol: . My 2cents

I'm going to give a styrene float a go they attach by a spring and move along the line as its reeled in,

cant believe my post was knocked back just now for using the word CR*P wow, I know the dictionary states its a offensive word but its also used as a Colloquialism widely in Australia, lets hope its an auto big brother thng

post-7571-144598809123_thumb.jpg

I'm going to give a styrene float a go they attach by a spring and move along the line as its reeled in,

cant believe my post was knocked back just now for using the word CR*P wow, I know the dictionary states its a offensive word but its also used as a Colloquialism widely in Australia, lets hope its an auto big brother thng

We used to live bait with a similar float for barra and use a toothpick as a stopper. Worked pretty good, never lost one but were were fishing very heavy and cant remember too many times when the line snapped

EDIT: Sorry not quite like that, just the straight through float.

My livebaiting I use the float to set the depth and keep it there. It does not get popped unless a fish is on

I never fished using a balloon as a float until I moved to Australia.

The thing is though that balloons are made of a biodegradable material. The floats that I used in the US were made of plastic and have a much longer life. Then again, most of the areas I fished were landlocked, so they don't make it out to garbage island.

I love turtles, but I am not prepared to believe that using a balloon as a float is more harmful than using a piece of balsa wood as a float.

:lol:

:ohmy: So many to respond to, so little motivation to do so :pinch:

For those questioning my opinion based on being a mod, I say all is good if we express our opinion and attack the words of others. It is not kosha to attack a person for having that opinion. ;) I challenge you to let me know what is not accurate in my words. Attacking me just makes me call you bad names under my breath.

Evil wins where good men say nothing, and the Greens have had centre stage for far too long. I will always speak up. I have been for nearly 6 years on here and will continue to do so.

Also you seem to have assumed I'm an environmental vandal. Nothing could be further from the truth. I even bring home my tag ends. The fact that I'm not fooled by lobby groups like those mentioned is irrelevant. If you need to believe a load of codswallop because it inspires you to do the right thing by the environment then that's pretty sad.

Steve, No argument with what you say re studies etc, HOWEVER my point is specifically about biodegradable balloons that kittacooch asked about. Can you show me that study or provide a link so kittacooch can assess if he wants to use balloons of the biodegradable kind or not.

Sad, soppy poo poo makes me sick. I like to live in the real world accepting and dealing with what is real, not some rubbish dreamt up by someone scared of aliens :P:lol:

/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j2F4VcBmeo

I'm on Jack's side. You can have your Tom Cruise types....

As I said, nothing wrong with scepticism against those ill-informed, hidden agenda environmentalists :), I’m personally a massive sceptic as well, snopes is a good friend of mine. However I think it’s dangerous to just shoot down the messenger without acknowledging ‘the truth’ :) in what they are saying. Comes across as though you’re quite happy to sacrifice a few helpless turtles :). The Emo stuff is a soft point (hence my smilies), I’d be hard pressed to imagine any hardened greenies or emos ever going to a tackle shop let alone a AFO social. Yet on principle it doesn’t paint a great picture.

Well what a response, at first i thought is was just a quick question but this is a bit bigger than that.

Fist of all i have shot some emails off in search of some credible studies.

2nd of all i have quickly realised that balloons are infact bad and i will not be using them, ifact there is so much overwhelming info on the web about it i think no one could argue that is isnt bad for marine life, the question is how bad?

For me personally i like to keep my impact to a practical minimum and so balloons wont be a part of my fishing arsenal.

Back soon

looks like you can get latex balloons from a variety of stores, I am sure if you wanted to do a group order you would get some interest from here. Thanks for raising this, really good point. Put me down for some balloons that are biodegradable latex if you are going to do an order.

Well what a response, at first i thought is was just a quick question but this is a bit bigger than that.

2nd of all i have quickly realised that balloons are infact bad and i will not be using them, ifact there is so much overwhelming info on the web about it i think no one could argue that is isnt bad for marine life, the question is how bad?

For me personally i like to keep my impact to a practical minimum and so balloons wont be a part of my fishing arsenal.

Back soon

I think it is great you have made your decision. I commend you on your stance. I am in two minds as I only probably use 5 or 6 balloons a year as floats. Just a question what do you plan to use instead?

I try to do the right thing by having a Suzuki A series 4 stroke. I do not drive around crazy everywhere. I have an Aluminium Hull not fiberglass and I get it regularly serviced. I feel these things have a lot more to do with environmental damage than a few balloons. I may be wrong. I wonder what everybody else does to reduce their impact????

Whos up for designing some eco friendly balloons?

For those who do baloon out baits...is it possible to tie another line to it ( cheap mono) an once ur happy with where the bait is just detach the bait from the baloon like u usally do, and just pull the other line in with the baloon still attached..then after the trip you can dispose of the baloon properly.

Just a thought

A very simple idea that has been overlooked in this thread and I think it could definitely work something to try this summer for sure

Back soon

You are obviously over the age of 40 (maybe 50) because you fail to realize that arguing on the internet is how experts become experts... I truly feel sorry for you.

Seriously, what self respecting member of any internet forum would stoop to such a low level as searching for "credible studies" ?

When you start arguing that it is bad for marine life, you have to be careful. I reckon it is not bad for ALL marine life.

If God is all knowing and really cares about us (along with the animals on the ark), he should have foreseen humans' ability to create things that make turtles die (remember, I love turtles). If there is no God, then human disposal of balloons is simply helping the theory of evolution move forward....

If God is all knowing and really cares about us (along with the animals on the ark), he should have foreseen humans' ability to create things that make turtles die (remember, I love turtles). If there is no God, then human disposal of balloons is simply helping the theory of evolution move forward....

woh, that is intense man, I guess you a right in a way, if the theory of survival of the fittest rings true, then only those animals that thrive from human domination are destined to survive (like ibis, rats, crows, c0ckroaches etc etc).

However, one could also argue that humans are evolving beyond natures intention, with modern technology, increased birth survival, increased age etc, hence having a negative effect upon the entire ecosystems and hence placing our own survival at risk.

Either way, it is a very interesting argument, and one I am sure could take up multiple pages of its own thread (and have the odd PHD written in relation to it).

Some things are legal, some things are not. Littering falls into the latter.

Point in your favor.

Now, if you don't mind me asking, why are some things legal and other things not?

Fishing with balloons is legal because it is not stated that fishing with balloons is not legal. Then again, fishing with baboons is not stated as being illegal, but I bet I would get arrested in Queensland for fishing with baboon.....

Texting while driving is equivalent to driving immediately after consuming 3 shots of vodka, but you only lose 3 points and get a fine for texting while driving. Driving at a level of .05 BAC or above is a minimum 4 month suspension and a $400 fine.... both are illegal and one has been shown to be the equivalent of the other. Welcome to the world where color exists.....

Back soon

You are obviously over the age of 40 (maybe 50) because you fail to realize that arguing on the internet is how experts become experts... I truly feel sorry for you.

Seriously, what self respecting member of any internet forum would stoop to such a low level as searching for "credible studies" ?

When you start arguing that it is bad for marine life, you have to be careful. I reckon it is not bad for ALL marine life.

WTF maybe when you grow up a bit you might realize why your comment is not worthy of a mature response....

Haines490slc... I have had a brief look into the latex type balloons and they are obviously the better choice if you are going to use them but they still take up to 6 months to break down and the so call tests on marine animals where they had turtles ingest the latex was done so using latex pieces not an entire balloon so still not an ideal solution.

Rosstrailia46 is on the money, if a few of us try a some different ideas we may indeed come up with a solution that has a lesser impact on marine life.

Crazywalrus when I first made this post I was researching tactics for chasing cobia and was considering a couple packs of balloons for my tackle bag, I was thinking of 3 balloons at a time and based on the dozen I saw floating around on the 36's a couple weeks back it would be fare to say I would loose at least 1 on a trip but probably more??? But I havn't done this fishing before so dont really know.

I am hoping most people here understand that this thread was started in all innocence but has simply raised a few questions about the use of balloons than many including myself until now had not considered.

My choice not to use them is a personal one based off some info I and others have uncovered due to this topic being raised and discussed.

It is my personal choice not to use balloons knowing it may adversely effect marine life simply because I was too lazy to consider another option.

My mind is now made up and so not going to debate any further other than post my findings from any credible studies I might find, if others want to debate then go for it as some including myself will watch with interest but I am more so interested in finding an acceptable alternative to ballooning.

Some things are legal, some things are not. Littering falls into the latter.

Now, if you don't mind me asking, why are some things legal and other things not? Cause the law makers say they are

Fishing with balloons is legal because it is not stated that fishing with balloons is not legal. Then again, fishing with baboons is not stated as being illegal, but I bet I would get arrested in Queensland for fishing with baboon..... if you dig deep enough then I am sure tampering with a baboon would be illegal

Texting while driving is equivalent to driving immediately after consuming 3 shots of vodka assumption as people tolerate alcohol differently

but you only lose 3 points and get a fine for texting while driving maximum fine is $2200, but for expediency if you pay the ticket its discounted to $300

Driving at a level of .05 BAC or above is a minimum 4 month suspension and a $400 fine....No such thing as minimum suspensions or dollar amounts for that offence.

both are illegal and one has been shown to be the equivalent of the other. Refer to above about peoples tolerance level of alcohol

Welcome to the world where color exists..... and where fact is better than fiction

Back soon

I think it is great you have made your decision. I commend you on your stance. I am in two minds as I only probably use 5 or 6 balloons a year as floats. Just a question what do you plan to use instead?

I try to do the right thing by having a Suzuki A series 4 stroke. I do not drive around crazy everywhere. I have an Aluminium Hull not fiberglass and I get it regularly serviced. I feel these things have a lot more to do with environmental damage than a few balloons. I may be wrong. I wonder what everybody else does to reduce their impact????

Sorry ted but your ally boat is just as toxic to the planet as fiberglass ally is wat they stic in things like childrens imunisation stuff wich couses the brian "only in some cases" to become deformed it also takes a lot more to produce than fiberglass.

just saying ;)

WTF maybe when you grow up a bit you might realize why your comment is not worthy of a mature response....

Doh! I've been caught out.

Perhaps if people help me with my Australian accent when I take the piss it will be understood...

Please try to read through my response above and inject yourself with a bit of humour. I am in a good mood and was hoping to give a chuckle from you because I am impressed that you would search for credible sources before you make a decision.

Sadly, my computer does not have a font for satire....

I think if anyone is concerned about leaving the odd balloon or foam block out there they should find another hobby.

The reason I say that is because you have already polluted the water with fuel emissions and possibly oil getting out there and no doubt you will leave a bunch of lead sinkers and fishing line all over the bottom.

Then we go on and kill fish which has an impact on the eco system and the bio mass of various fish species as well as the food chain,especially when you target bait species.

It does not matter what we do out there,one way or another we are having an impact just by being there and at the end of the day all we can do as fishermen is to lessen that impact as much as we possibly can.

I would prefer to see a few balloons or some foam floating around than the many hundreds of tons of lead that is left sitting on our reefs every year.

It also does not matter what type of float system you use,be it a balloon,foam,cork or plastic they are all a minute risk to fish or turtles,ect so if you are that concerned do not ever use any type of float setup.

As for something biodegradable,it had better dissolve within a few days or the animal is doomed anyway.

Archived