Recommendations on cheap heavy popping gear

I did search but couldn't find too much on the subject. Sorry if it has been covered.

I love watching shows where thay are popping for GT's using expensive gear. I would love to try it some day but can not justify high end gear for my current fishing trips and would never even think about for popping which I would only do once in a blue moon.

Has anyone given it a go with a combo/setup up to the $250 mark. Even upgrading drag on a average big spin reel like a penn. I understand it would not be as enjoyable and will probably have a lot of losses and damage in the long run but anyone tryed a budget setup. Maybe even some knockoff reels from ebay.

I have caught some monsters on livies with a 7000 overhead with mono up cooktown but you cant flick poppers any good with them. The rush and fight from those suckers keeps dragging me back there.

Thanks for any info.

BJ

I only have very limited popping experience, but from what I have learned there is no such thing as cheap yet effective popping gear.

Firstly you need a strong reel with strong drag and fast retrieve gear ratio.

Reel: At a bare minimum I would look at a Daiwa Saltist 6500 or a Shimano Saragosa or similar. Either will be around $280. Anything less is likely to get bent or completely destroyed on the first few fish.

Rod: As a minimum a shimano Tcurve GT special or a Daiwa monster mesh popping rod. Around $250-$300.

Line: Around $100

Total ~$650

Disclaimer: I may be wrong and it would be awesome to see something reasonably cheap that works.

Popping is very physically demanding and anything less than what I have listed just won't cast a lure or bloop a lure well, and will have you completely shagged after a few minutes.

A more typical $2000+ combo will be way easier to cast and fish for any period of time than the options I have listed.

I ended up taking the plunge and buying a highish end combo but unfortunately haven't had many opportunities to you use it.

My time will come this coming summer though. :evil:

Should have bought my twin power 8000pg BJ. I bought it for that purpose but it was too heavy for me. Sold it for dirt cheap.

Im going to get another combo soon. Thinking of a Stella 5000 with 200 Jig tcurve Paul from IFISH uses something something similar. My mate has same set up and it feels nice. Its not too heavy either. Good for popping and jigging.

Hey Dom are you talking about the Saltiga Maverik 6500 with monstor mesh.

That was my mate Imy old setup. I think you bought it from him.that was a killer setup. He sold it because he needed money to buy bigger boat.

We fish together all the time lol.

He's looking to buy a 6meter plus plate boat now. I was telling him other day once he gets the boat wel follow Dom out to deep tempest and Barwon banks. Thats when he told me he knew you.

With regards to Penn Spinfishers the older series has a legendary reputation for being near indestrucatble. The newer spinfishers that cost $99 and are made in China have been getting less than stella (haha terrible pun) reviews. I haven't used either. Just being a keyboard fisherman. :blush:

Too funny Shane. Small world.

For popping I use the saltiga maverick on a FCL labo popping rod.

Unfortunately jig rods are completely useless as popping rods and vice versa. The monster mesh has held up ok so far jigging but am yet to give it a proper workout. I am a bit worried as I have heard reports about the older black coloured series randomly exploding. Probably need to get another saltiga with lower gear ratio's as a jig reel as the 6500H makes it hard work cranking up from the depths.

It can be done I'm sure.

From what I kept getting (and keep getting) told, the cheaper gear can do the job. You'll just find that if you get onto a few of the bigger fish on your trips, your reel wont last.

Also re rods, angus didn't have a popping rod on our last trip and he pretty much gave up after a few tries. The rod just couldn't get the distance nor action to get the poppers working properly. So try and find one that is made for it rather than a multipurpose.

Keep in mind 250 for a combo is only the beginning.

• 8 years later...

When I was uo in Innisfail I used to use a Daiwa Pe4-6 spin rod and I think the reel was a Daiwa saltist 6500 the combo cost me like $300 but was marked at $200 for rod and at least $280 for reel but I haggled a bit with BCF and got braid added to it for free. It was stolen apart from the reel which was hidden a few years back... so can't give exact details... But it worked well out of Mourilyan Harbour

The cheapest stuff I could find was;

Rod -  Diawa Saltist BW (82XH SPIN) 8'2" 2pc But Join, PE8 rated. $129 MoTackle

Reel - Rapala Type-R 7500, Full Alloy Rotor & Body, 18kg Drag, (4.9:1 Gear) $189 MoTackle

And then of course youve go briad too. But I reckon those above would handle most situations and all for about $318.000

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Andy hardly catches GT’s over the 20kg mark in his videos. The setup he uses is strong but heavy, that’s probably the biggest compromise you have to make once you try to get a setup on the lower scale of the budget. 
With reels, in my experience saragosas last just as long as stellas. I own both, but even though the Stella is a nice piece of kit, the price/quality ratio is definitely in favour of the saragosa.

On 29/09/2021 at 1:41 PM, BennieAqua said:

Andy hardly catches GT’s over the 20kg mark in his videos. The setup he uses is strong but heavy, that’s probably the biggest compromise you have to make once you try to get a setup on the lower scale of the budget. 
With reels, in my experience saragosas last just as long as stellas. I own both, but even though the Stella is a nice piece of kit, the price/quality ratio is definitely in favour of the saragosa.

Good to know Bennie,

I don't have any Stellas. One day I may grow up... 🙂