Are the Poms too cocky ?

ellicat

With a population of 62 million and an Olympic medal tally of 48, how do they compare to Aus and the Kiwis ?

Aus 22 Million 26 medals

NZ. 4 Million 10 medals

Medals per million =

Aus 1.18

NZ 2.50

GB 0.77

Just getting in first, before the gloating begins.

Statistics courtesy of Ted Walrus

no not at all mate

50% dont have jobs and venture outside perhaps twice a week 3 times if theres a birthday in the family :cheer: , thus limiting their olympic ambitions to table tennis, taekwondo or gymnastics,

22 per cent of men and 24 per cent of women in England were classified as obese (BMI 30kg/m² or over)

so that doesnt leave many really to compete!

thus giving us a medals ratio far greater than those statistics :lol:

no not at all mate

50% dont have jobs and venture outside perhaps twice a week 3 times if theres a birthday in the family :cheer: , thus limiting their olympic ambitions to table tennis, taekwondo or gymnastics,

22 per cent of men and 24 per cent of women in England were classified as obese (BMI 30kg/m² or over)

so that doesnt leave many really to compete!

thus giving us a medals ratio far greater than those statistics :lol:

29% of Aussies are obese. that only leaves 15.62 million of us to compete

Medals Per Million = 1.728

Team GB - 23% of you are fatties so that leaves 47.74 million

Medals Per Million = 1.005

you just made us better at sport Callum!

Ooooh, do I get to play the "my country of origin has more medals than the country in which I choose to live" game? :whistle:

Really though, if you pare it down to percentage of population, there really aren't enough events to allow China to ever win unless they sweep the whole thing. :silly:

What kills me is the media both here and back in the US referring to people getting silver medals as being a disappointment. Those physically inadequate arm chair commentators are really beginning to get on my nerves. :angry: Dawn Harper, the US athlete who took silver behind Sally Pearson, ended up crying during an interview because they kept harping on how disappointing it was for her fans and her country that she didn't win. That is disgusting.

Maybe it is because I never made it past the national level competitions when I was younger, but I can't abide anybody bagging on an athlete that has made it to the international level and is representing their country.

The Olympics are about sportsmanship, goodwill, and honoring the best of your country. If somebody intentionally tanks, have at them. If they are there and representing the best your country has to offer, support them and, if they do not win, acknowledge and respect the person who won as a strong competitor.

Okay, sorry. My rant is over now so it is time for trivia:

Without searching it how, who can tell me how many Olympic medals Australia has for wrestling (all-time) and how many wrestlers are on the Australian Olympic team (in 2012)? :D

I agree 100% Gary. Scurrilous germs are those media melons. Disgraceful to the limit.

On the wrestling question.....

Who Cares ?!?! :P:lol:

It makes me uncomfortable seeing the fella on the floor on all fours and the other fella gets told to take him from behind. That is wrong !

Mind you I was earlier enjoying the women's wrestling :huh:

I agree 100% Gary. Scurrilous germs are those media melons. Disgraceful to the limit.

It makes me uncomfortable seeing the fella on the floor on all fours and the other fella gets told to take him from behind. That is wrong !

maybe it wasn`t explained properly

/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRj4RBW5mpA

maybe it wasn`t explained properly

/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRj4RBW5mpA

After watching that Gad, I understand why the Australian commentators have been replaced by a Scottish woman.

It really does surprise me that a sport in which Anglo Saxons have participated since before they figured out they were Anglo Saxons is less understood than Brazilian Jujitsu. Especially considering that they follow the same concepts of control, misdirection, and leverage. It is one of the world's oldest martial arts and is still one of the world's most mocked sports. Some positions that Jujitsu fighters put themselves into are more than a little homo-erotic (they sometimes remind me of the Jerry McGuire scene with the blonde against the bookshelf but without the yeah-let's-see-more-of-that! feeling).

The mockery doesn't really bother me overmuch because I am well past my prime. However, I will most likely be coaching some Aussie kids within the next couple of months and hope that you can at least support them. Sometimes kids aren't big enough to get onto the rugby team, but they are strong and athletic. Wrestling is a sport that will allow them to have a fair competition because they are one-on-one against somebody their own size.

The commitment and drive it takes to be a wrestler does not ask for acknowledgment; it does deserve it.

I think you need to honor your Olympic wrestler because he has earned it.

By the way, aren't my new shoes awesome!? :woohoo:

post-9342-144598838712_thumb.png

Well said Gary, I have a mate that has done jujitsu for years and we often get on the turps and fight, first in the pool loses winter is terrible but summer is OK, me being a short arse and him being 203cm tall I have all the leverage and he has reach, really good fun both trying to defend each others advantages.Would have loved to done wrestling when I was younger

Gary, how come you got taken down at Straddy....Twice!.....You nice man ;)

As for the Olympics, this thread was only opened cos you are doing poorly for a change. I got the old "we're better than you" for the first week then it all went quiet. Even the commentators are saying it's the competing that counts.......Yeah, right on ya, mate!!

I reckon the reason the Brits are doing so well is that they are used to training & competing in such crap weather! B)

Anyone on here trained to olympic standard? Even if they did, it all comes down to the actual day, 1 day in 4 years ain't really a thermometer, more like luck.

GO GB!!!! Ha! HA! Suck it you Aussies!!!! ;) (Where's the tongue in cheek Smiley, I don't mean no animosity to the folk who's country I have chose to live in.... B) )

I will most likely be coaching some Aussie kids within the next couple of months

I think you will require at least 3 Blue cards before you are allowed to teach them "the dog" :whistle: :woohoo: :lol:

At least the JiuJitsu boys don't wear lycra, unless in the cage. Although Royce Gracie always wore his gi.

Touching sweaty men for any period longer than a tackle is well off my radar. Sorry Gary, it's not for me. My kids and I agree it should not be telecast on TV. :lol::lol:

Gad,

That's what has been missing from the Olympics this time around - Roy & HG. Bring back the "Hello boys" and "battered sav" ! :woohoo: :silly: :lol:

Gary, how come you got taken down at Straddy....Twice!.....You nice man ;)

As for the Olympics, this thread was only opened cos you are doing poorly for a change. I got the old "we're better than you" for the first week then it all went quiet. Even the commentators are saying it's the competing that counts.......Yeah, right on ya, mate!!

I reckon the reason the Brits are doing so well is that they are used to training & competing in such crap weather! B)

Anyone on here trained to olympic standard? Even if they did, it all comes down to the actual day, 1 day in 4 years.

Kev,

The pom will stick his hand up , I started canoe slaom when i was 10 years old, we won gold medal in the c2 junior world championships when i was 17, we went for selection to the barcelona olympics in 1989, the olympics were on the same course in Andorra that we won gold years before, in the selection event we were lying second and guranteed a spot, before our second run my partner fell off a skateboard and badly broke his thumb. I gave up canoeing that year and had to get a proper job.

We were the only c2 crew to win a gold medal at a major event and last week the gb crew won gold in that event.

Kev,

I'll put my hand up too. Until I blew out my knee, I was on course to enter the qualifying circuits for the 2000 Olympics in Sydney. I dunno if I would have ever made it past round 1 (because there are so many wrestlers in the US, there are multiple qualifying tournaments), but losing an ACL ends up being more mental than physical and I wasn't the same wrestler after the surgery so I ended the career.

One of my teammates ended up going to Beijing as an alternate for the US team and last I heard was coaching at the University of Iowa; the most dominant college wrestling program in the US.

Oh, and I got taken down at Straddie because I got caught flat-footed. :)

Hey Gary, I have a mate I regularly spar with who competes in MMA comps around Brisbane, he is interested in learning some of your skills for when he takes it to the ground. I saw you flip a man twice your weight, that is skill dude. He is competent in Muay Thai, Tong long kung fu, BJJ and he would love to learn some wrestling. Sparring sessions are held on mats and us old blokes usually each go 2 minutes on him and make him do 6 minute rounds so he gets his fitness up.

• 2 weeks later...

Queenslanders . . . ,7 in a row NOW worldbeaters. :P

ATHLETE'S world-wide will be trying to bottle up a piece of Queensland sunshine after a new analysis of Olympic results shows that Queensland was the best provincial performer at the London Games.

/>http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/unbiased-and-irrefutable-data-shows-queenslanders-are-the-best-olympians-in-the-world/story-e6freoof-1226452907358

Archived