Boating misshaps

havarest

Hey all ....

Just thought i would throw this one out there, especially to all that have had boat troubles and to show there is always an upside to things and it could of always been alot worse....

so throw out your stories of mishaps and troubles and hopefully some good might come of it its always better to let it out so .....let it out everyone ill start...

Went out in my boat only been a few times when suddenly motor over heats, had to get towed back to the marina $150 bucks later :( Then get told must of been plastic bag so replace water pump which had melted and fixed some electronics while i was there.. went back out once i was told all was good... did not even make it out of the creek overheated again and motor died melted wires everything ruined.:S now need a brand new motor and wires... and also got ripped off 1700 bucks from the guys who supposibly fixed it:angry: (would love to mention names but not like that) anyway i look on the bright side brand new motor warrenty and a safe boat for me and people on board....

my only tip watch who ou buy from..if you guys want ill let you know who to steer clear from but i dont want to publicly deface them... all the best

Was traveling up the bribie passage , when we caught up to another vessel ,thought I would sit behind him as we were coming in to a tight area and he was going quick enough . So cruising along chewing the fat ,when all of a sudden sounder alarm goes off and guy up front stops dead in the water . Three ways to go, stop and be stuck,go hard to starboard and send a fair bit of wash old mates way or punch her up on to plane and go into even shallower water befor going hard to starboard and back to channel. Took the latter and pulled it off , heart in mouth stuf ,turns out other bloke missed a mark and drove up a sand bank. Now i avoid following others so I can make my own mistakes:lol:

I have never had a problem with my boat on the water at all. Never missed a beat and always reliable. All my grief with my boat happens on land (no laughing now, for those in the know)

But following on from AZZA's story I did pretty much the same thing. Always a little dubious about the channel leading up Crusoe island towards the Pin especially at low tide. Followed a SeaRay cruiser that must have been 10m+ and he was hooting, so I was screaming along behind, when bang! Straight on the sand with the props free spinning completely out of the water. Back straight off, and nudged up just in time to say 'You alright in there?' The 2 guys gave a sheepish thumbs up and then asked 'Was I trying to chase them down to warn them?' 'Cause I was......

hey,

I took the new boat out one sat night and was flogging across the water, saw the signal adv shallow area, so i slowed down. Checked the depth sounder, 6ft sweet, so i got up on plane, then bumpsh! ive stopped moving and motor is stuck! shine the torch down, and my hull is in sand! Checked the depth sounder 6ft still! Had to lift motor and use paddles gondula style to get out! 10 minutes later, depth sounder advises me its actually only about 1ft! Never trusted the bloody thing since!

Thats the not so great thing about relying on depth sounders when travelling at speed. By the time the thing measures the depth, relays it to the screen, your eyes relay it to your brain, your brain relays it to your hand, your hand relays it to the throttle... etc etc. Its normally all over and you are high and dry!

Maybe Chubbster can repost the picture of the sports cruiser we saw high and dry when fishing at Jacobs Well area as a classic example of too many $$$ and not enough sence!

When cruising down the river the other night I found a great deep hole courtesy of the sounder. It was 418 metres deep:blink: So I turned the sounder off and back on again. That worked - the hole had shallowed to 326 metres:blink: :blink:

Thought it was going to be time for a new sounder. Then the prop started cavitating again. This was my first solo night trip and I was thinking things weren't looking good.

Eventually trimmed the prop right out of the water to discover a small branch had wedged itself between the transom and the leg. It was the cause of both the sounder and cavitation probs - phew!

haha, my call would be for blokes to be abit more careful when hanging a short leg engine off their tinnies.

when i got my first Honda 4 stroke, i figured it'd be ok to hang it off my custom 16footer since it seemed that the water intake was running well and stuff. It worked perfectly in the salt, but when I took the boat upriver one day to fish for tarpon, I noticed that the engine was unusually hot lol. Ignored it, and suddenly 2hrs later the engine quit and died on me, with no amount of ripping the starting cord managing to start the engine. Managed to holler to my boss on the VHF, so he came back downriver with one of the men to try help me out. Took off the outboard cover, but sheet, the engine block was too hot to touch. ended up being towed around fishing lol.

sent the motor for repairs, and it seemed that the water intake had not been adequate in freshwater (why?? :S), and i burnt out the shaft lol.

Luckily I have learned from mistakes but when I first got the boat I thought how easy it all was. I managed to damage (destroy) one prop due to having the motor locked in position when I came across a very shallow reef. I have done the leaving the bungs out thing. I now carry spares in my tackle box at all times.

a few years back i put a new(2000 model)

90 merc on my 19.5 centerconsole tinny

the motor was run in in a tank before fitting so first time on the water with my girlfriend,a mate and his missus for a test run.

we were tearing round between big and little woody islands in hervey bay.

i wanted to see how she'd turn at speed so i shot intoward jeffreys beach on woody island and slammed her into a hight speed(37 knots)u-turn. in the middle of the turn i hit a hatch cover off of a trawler that was drifting a couple of inches under the surface. this caused the boat to lose traction and slam sideways and highsided all 5 of us out of the boat.

the boat tore off empty leaving us all floating 150m off the beach,it hit the beach at at least 40 knots, shot straight up the beach and into the scrub where it narrowly missed some peoples camp site and stopped in a tangle of lantanna screaming its guts out at three quarter revs

thank god the bloke from the camp had the sense to run over to the boat and shut it down before it cooked its self.

it took about a dozen people to get her turned around and back in the water.

cost me quite a few dollars back at the boat club bar saying thank you to them all.

all i could think was how glad i was it had been off that section of jeffreys beach 'cause its all soft sand right up into the bush. there was no damage to the prop or skeg, most of the rest of the island is rocks.

When I was a young bloke I was sitting on the bow of dads new 16 foot 1/2 cab legs dangaling over the front thinking I slicker than bat poopB) as we charged south under the bribie bridge . Untill we slamed into the big sand bar ,must have sailed 15 meters befor burying up to my nads ( witch were luckly not still on the bow spirit) in soft sand ,:ohmy: Old was just worried about his boat :lol:

AZZA wrote:

When I was a young bloke I was sitting on the bow of dads new 16 foot 1/2 cab legs dangaling over the front thinking I slicker than bat poopB) as we charged south under the bribie bridge . Untill we slamed into the big sand bar ,must have sailed 15 meters befor burying up to my nads ( witch were luckly not still on the bow spirit) in soft sand ,:ohmy: Old was just worried about his boat :lol:

ha ha me too azza but it was a rock hard sandbar in the predawn, broke my wrist.

me and my friend were fishing at the boat ramp at cabbage tree and these people with about a 30 to 40 000 boat were reversin the trailer to load it back on the got it on ok but when they were driving off all you hear is a krakling noise oppps:blush: forgot to put the motor up

his misus scremin her head of stop stop! so he ran out fixed the motor up then his wife is screming again you didnt put it in brake the car and the boat were heading back down the ramp back into the water me and my mate were cakin our heads of cause of em

another case of too much money for there own good

Jeff: Thats a bad thing to happen. Was the trawler on the bottom, or just drifting along?

Nothing to bad for us. More of the usual, leaving the bungs out, running into sand banks and putting the engine into full throtle forgeting to pull up the anchor. The third thing really wrecks the prop.

Also, when coming home from a night fish on the river, we were doing the usual thing to do and heading from one beacon to the next, and then the water infront of us was replaced by some non-moving stuff. Right before we smashed into it we stopped. Turned out there was a sand bank right behind a beacon.

And on the very first day of having our first boat, as we were driving along the road to Tingalpa ck, the canopy on the boat balloned up. Slowed the car down a lot and bent the metal poles and hinges of the canopy on the boat.

Luckly, nothing to bad for us yet.

Archived