Late NPD report: 22-09-2007

werewolf

Woops a tiny bit late, but better late than never!

We did our first ever expedition to NDP and as it happens when you don't bring an esky, the fish were biting! Lauren made good on her promise to land the biggest fish of the day, and trumped me on the jewfish 52 cm to 49 cm! Nice work. All up we landed 6 jew, a Golden Perch and a Bony Bream (all on earth worms). The Golden fought like a wet rag, whereas the bony gave a good account of itself on the 8 pound Technium. All fish were released, although I was disappointed that I didn't have anything to take the bony home with as it would have made a decent strip shark bait. Oh I threw a plastic around half hearted in the area we were fishing without luck too. I think we will be back before long!

Pics to follow. After the pics are up I will go back and add comments.

Feral: LOL

Brian: Yep trusty old live earthworms. And slimy? Mmm a little bit but nothing compared to forkies. Gotta watch the spines though!

Plastic: The jewies fight OK on light line, not as good as forkies though.

Rocket: LOL yeah she insisted. She baits her own hook too:P It wasn't until later that I remembered we had the lip gripper packed:blink:

Tim: Caught stacks of bonies over the foot mark in the cast net while sharking. Never caught one on a hook before though, and no idea just how big they get. I would guess that I've seen them up to about 40 cm.

cheers wwolfB)

viperon1982 wrote:

You call freshwater catties jewies as well? Thought jewies only refers to the mulloways.. I'm confused guys..

Viper yeah sorry about the slang, I picked that up from living out west as a youngin:silly: Same story all round Oz though, common names for fish tend to get mixed up. My relies up north call Jacks \"Red Bream\" and I had no idea what they were talking about the first time :blush:

Thanks Dino, yeah I want to eventually do the popular thing and walk the banks with lures. Getting the time is the only drama as it's a fair trip from home!

viperon1982 wrote:

You call freshwater catties jewies as well? Thought jewies only refers to the mulloways.. I'm confused guys..

The saltwater type (mulloway) are spelt \"Jew\"

The fresh water type (Eel-Tailed Catties) are spelt \"Dew\"

Same pronunciation tho.

Brian: I would rather touch those than the Blue caties. They don't stink at all and (don't laugh) they are excellant eating. I will never eat a Blue Cattie again but I will definatly eat the Dewies again. Starlo (I think, someone famous from a book) says they are one of Australia's best fresh water eatng fish.

Legal size-35cm and bag-limit of 5

The fresh water type (Eel-Tailed Catties) are spelt \"Dew\"

Mmm. I have never heard them spelt as \"Dew\" before now.

I grew up in the bush ( on the Lachlan River in NSW) and they were just called freshwater catfish back then.

It wasn't until I moved up to Gods country in 1979 that I heard people call them \"jews\".

Chris

If my memory serves me correctly my grandfather used to tell a story that jew fish are called jew as an abveration of jewell.

This is because when the fish heads are boiled out and dried there is a round \" jewell\" inside the head cavity.

He also used to say that there is the shape of a crusifix on the outside of the head of the freshwater jewie.

I have never checked it out buts sounds a good story to tell your grandkids.

Cheers

Ray

Archived