Baroon Pocket 1/11/07

Feral

Ferg, Ray and I hit up Baroon pocket today, with borrowed electrics (*%%$#@ scum!)

Rolled up at 7am - normal gate opening time to see a new sign - gates open 5:30am to 7:30pm. The ways my week has been, not totally unexpected!

Anyway first time I had been at the Maleny end when the dam was full, someone had stolen the ramp, fair dinkum, maybe 6 foot of ramp from the parking lot to the water!

Just as well Ray was driving, after the 150m twice daily reverse at Awoonga, I would have been under 6 foot of water before I even looked in the rear view mirror!

Anyway away we went, not much on the sounder as we traveled up the southern arm, so we decided to fish the skinny water over the newly drowned grass and banks to see what was around.

Nothing substantial, but we got 12 bass and the usual compliment of spangled perch.

Bass Tally

Ferg -8

Ray -2

Me -2

Ferg and I also had a little side comp going - who could catch the smallest spangled perch on a 70mm lure! (I won by the way - see the pics!)

The dam sure looks different full, very pretty, (more than usual)rain forest right down to the water, lots of extra little inlets to fish.

Image1AFO.jpg

Image3AFO.jpg

Image5AFO-1.jpg

Image11AFO-1.jpg

Image6AFO-1.jpg

Image10AFO.jpg

Image2AFO.jpg

Image4AFO-1.jpg

Image7AFO-1.jpg

Image8AFO-1.jpg

Image9AFO-1.jpg

Fisher_90, last photo was about 19 foot deep in channel under boat, probably not much less in photo. Had a couple of AFO fishing days there earlier this year, yaks were heavily represented, last one was cancelled as dam was to high (not allowed on whilst dam was overflowing by more than a certain amount, - signs to indicate at ramps)

Mack Attack, Dam is full - 100%

Land based fishing is allowed at picnic areas at both ramps, but not a lot caught from the bank.

Feral and Ray

Thanks for a top day's fishing.

The company was good, the weather was great and the fishing was fun.

Baroon is a really top spot at the moment with the dam almost full and a lot of nice new flooded grass banks and inlets for throwing lures into.

Even if your not catching fish, the scenery is worth the trip.

If arse is what is needed to catch fish, then I will use arse.

Thanks Guys

Ferg

namyau wrote:

nice report and nice pics - how far away and which direction from brisbane cbd?- might get the chance to try freshwater fishing early next month heehe

Mate, it is exactly an hour from my place, so say 1 1/2 hours from the CBD?

Its electric boats only (or paddle power), bank fishing from the picnic areas only.

If your shore based, Lake MacDonald is a better option, with lots of accessable bank and a fishing Jetty. About the same time to get there.

Archived