Mad Mackerel

tugger

5 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Nice one mate well done. Its been you getting me onto fish for years now. Makes a nice change that I get you onto the fish haha.

They were a lot better when the tide was running last week too. 

Mate your freezer must be chockers at the moment 🙂

Thanks for the tips Robbie haven't had a mackerel fix for a while it was plenty of fun they must get thicker on the bigger tides.

14 minutes ago, Hweebe said:

Unweighted I assume. I pulled up an older thread you posted using wire and a single hook. Have you gone away from that rig?

I had wire rig on 1 rod but got just as many fish on the gangs at the gangs are quicker to rig and get back out. We floated the pillies out and used a small sinker when the tide was the strongest. Take floats with you but mix it up and see what works best have some without float or sinkers. A old mate told me many years ago keep trying different rigs, depths and baits till you find what works. I cut the tail off the pillies at 1 stage and that worked good luck and remember burley up.

Hey tugger

That is a good tip, thanks for that. I will make sure to keep that in mind if I ever chase mackerel. In fact, I remember reading in one of my fishing books (I believe it was one by Al McGlashan but I can't remember) that when fishing for mackerel you should have on weighted, one unweighted, and one floated out just to mix your offerings.

Cheers Hamish 🙂  

1 hour ago, tugger said:

I had wire rig on 1 rod but got just as many fish on the gangs at the gangs are quicker to rig and get back out. We floated the pillies out and used a small sinker when the tide was the strongest. Take floats with you but mix it up and see what works best have some without float or sinkers. A old mate told me many years ago keep trying different rigs, depths and baits till you find what works. I cut the tail off the pillies at 1 stage and that worked good luck and remember burley up.

Thanks for tips tugger I think a may need a few more combos setup Ready to go for each scenario. Explains why you are on the fish all the time by working different rig / depth until find the fish

2 hours ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hey tugger

That is a good tip, thanks for that. I will make sure to keep that in mind if I ever chase mackerel. In fact, I remember reading in one of my fishing books (I believe it was one by Al McGlashan but I can't remember) that when fishing for mackerel you should have on weighted, one unweighted, and one floated out just to mix your offerings.

Cheers Hamish 🙂  

Yes find where they are feeding in the water column.

1 hour ago, Hweebe said:

Thanks for tips tugger I think a may need a few more combos setup Ready to go for each scenario. Explains why you are on the fish all the time by working different rig / depth until find the fish

Stagger your baits as well have 1 close to the Boat 5m from the back and then another 10m then 15m and 20m. A lot of the time it will be the close couple of baits will be hit as the fish will come in for the burley. Use the floats to get the furtherest ones out and the close ones without floats. If the baits are being picked off on the deep rigs by rubbish fish go all floats.

6 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

I love bonnies. 

10 minutes ago, ellicat said:

Best served as a strip bait with a side of circle hooks.

2 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Me too - there are really nice pan fried with some cherry tomatoes, olives, lemon and herbs and served on some cous cous, sort of Greek style, yum 🙂 

Hi everyone

Looks like there are some mixed opinions on them, but kmcrosby78, that recipe sounds very yummy. 🙂 

ellicat, I wonder how they go for bait in general for shark, bream, cod (basically all estuary fish!). 

I guess until I try them though, I probably won't be finding out. 😉 

Cheers Hamish

13 minutes ago, ellicat said:

Not sure about cod, but everything you mentioned plus snapper and tailor all go for it.

Hey ellicat

Rightio, I guess it must be a top notch bait. I'd assume you could get cod on it, because they seem to be a bit of an omnivore (well, more so a garbage guts) as I think they eat anything fishy smelling/looking that you get in their hole/snag. 🙂 

Cheers Hamish

3 hours ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hey ellicat

Rightio, I guess it must be a top notch bait. I'd assume you could get cod on it, because they seem to be a bit of an omnivore (well, more so a garbage guts) as I think they eat anything fishy smelling/looking that you get in their hole/snag. 🙂 

Cheers Hamish

Some of the best bait for just about everything Hamish