Safety First

Old Scaley

Hey Steve

Great thread. Very good idea to give people a timely reminder.

My dad and I always where our block jackets on the yak, not that we have been in very bad weather ever/that much. 

The one time when it got slightly hairy (even though it wasn't to windy a bit of chop makes it uncomfortable in a kayak), we got back in quiet quickly. I think it's important people can judge well when the weather is bad if they think it is not safe for them to stay out. 

I probably need to practise getting back into the yak myself. I can do it but don't know how easy it'd be for me to do it loaded up with gear if I went overboard.

Cheers Hamish

Yes, I do this for every trip in the Bay.

I create a 'Path' on Google Earth, then in the description I put who I'm fishing with, their contact numbers as well as their emergency contact person and numbers. Also include time expected to be back at the ramp. Then I print it out and hang it on the fridge.

I'm also signed up with Coastguard Manly.

Good call... Ok I will do better. 

I don't know how to do the lanyard thing. I suppose I will get used to it. I was thinking about it the other day when I did a solo mac trip. It was a little windy and I like to keep the engine in gear while I pull in a fish so it doesn't tangle with the other line. Not sure what to do here. Perhaps I will need to shut it off when I get up? 

Are there block type jackets that comply that are comfortable or just the inflation types? Although I can climb into my boat using the motor as a step it is a bit tricky. @aussie123 I will hit you up for advice on a ladder this week. I checked my inflating ones and they are all corroded so need replacing. 

Also I have a bilge to put in that is faster than the one they put in. 

Looks like Friday will not be a fishing day but a boat fixing day. 

5 hours ago, ellicat said:

I do. At the same time I tell them where the emergency chocolates can be found. haha

I also do it. Takes 2 minutes and could save a life. 

Flares are a big one for me. 

The amount of times I've seen flares submerged in water inside a bucket or just thrown willy nilly in the bilge. Does my head in. 

Also get to know how they work. 

A mate gave himself a good burn on the finger a few years back using the old flares at new years. 

These were the hand-held type but 2 were extendable handles. He didn't extend the handle. The whole housing melted into a mess on the grass. .

I do a lot of solo fishing up at rainbow beach and 1770.

The amount of times I've had dramas with boat.....nil. 

The one and only trip that pulled me up early  saw me get what they call fish handelers disease. So I would include a pair of leather riggers gloves in the safety kit if your handling a lot of reef fish in hot weather. 

I could not touch anything. My fingers were so sore. Had to travel 70k back to ramp....load boat.....derig for road....drive back to Brisbane from 1770 with a tyre change on the trailer at Childers just before midnight.

I was spent when I got home.  It required a very strong course of antibiotics. 

All because I forgot my gloves. 

Great thread guys.

I've started packing a spare powerbank for my phone as well in a tupperware container. I thrown my phone in there as well. I don't get offshore so am always within range and 4g/3g. If I'm solo fishing i make sure my location is shared with the mrs on my android so she can see where i am if needed.

And you're right - 2 minutes for boat safety briefing is something everyone should get in the habit of doing. I've been asking my deckies to test fit the lifejacket to make sure it fits them as the strap sizes keep varying based on the size of my deckie.

• 5 months later...
On 07/09/2020 at 7:06 PM, ellicat said:

I'm also signed up with Coastguard Manly.

Hey @ellicat what made u go coastguard vs VMR? I’m trying to decide which one to sign up to but both organisations have very limited information on their websites regarding what u get for the marine rescue / tow service / coverage range / costs.

I mainly launch from Manly.

Thanks for bumping this thread Hweebe.

One thing I just thought of, I can't remember if I mentioned before, but one of those hypothermia blankets would be nice. Just for Winter - I know if I fell in, and even at the local park, I get absolutely freezing, so I can't imagine it would be too nice to be soaking wet on the boat without something to warm you up.

Image result for emergency blanket

image.jpeg.632fe7e2ea9e3dfed8de3fdedc7e8b0f.jpeg

Just like those ones, so you warm up quicker.

Cheers Hamish 

P.S. They are five dollars online.

image.jpeg

I have a couple in the 1st aid kit.

37 minutes ago, Hweebe said:

Hey @ellicat what made u go coastguard vs VMR? I’m trying to decide which one to sign up to but both organisations have very limited information on their websites regarding what u get for the marine rescue / tow service / coverage range / costs.

I mainly launch from Manly.

I went based solely on the fact that Manly has the Coastguard and that's where I like to launch.

No worries. I mainly launch from manly but will launch from POB, Clontarf, Scarborough, of Goldie from time to time. 
just wondering if Coastguard have affiliate marine assist services at no cost when other coast guards provide assistance?

I know under VMR membership they will cover any VMR costs from other squadrons where u may not be a member. Wondering if coastguard has the same system. 
Other factors I’m comparing is VMR will cover up to 2 hrs towing With membership but I can’t find what Amount of towing Coastguard provides free with membership.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Ed. said:

I don't know about all anchor winches as I have only ever added one to a boat of mine, but the one I put one had a clutch which you could release and the anchor would free fall down without power.

Yes. I had one on my flybridge cruiser and when it gave out one day we were able to disconnect the gear and pull it up by hand. Luckily I had about six strapping lads onboard at the time and they bought it in. They were all totally knackered when it was finally on board but you can do it manually. 

On the one that I had you could also apparently winch the anchor up by hand too, it came with a star shaped winch handle which you could use to release the clutch or use it in the opposite direction to winch the chain up using the gearing of the winch, I say apparently because I never had the need to try it so can't say for certain. It had a Capstan and a Gypsy on it to do chain and rope.