Anyone used Back to Basics Smooth Water Charters?

billp

Hey everyone,

My son is getting too big to fish out of the back of my Kayak, so I was going to take him on a charter in the Bay. He has never been in a boat before so figure something like this would be a good start.

Has anyone used Smooth Water Charters and if so have any thoughts on them?

The price I was quoted for a private charter for 2 was pretty good, however went on a charter out of Noosa last month and was not really impressed with them, so I plan on doing my homework this time.

I can't help with that charter operator, but can tell you the Bay is currently overrun with sharks. Last night we hooked up to 11 of the suckers and a couple of weeks back we got sharked bringing in fish 7 times. So it may be best to wait until the weather/water cools off a bit around March-April before you make a booking.

18 minutes ago, Old Scaley said:

No experience with those guys. Looks like he might be John Palermo’s son, so there is a good pedigree. One local charter I can definitely recommend is Sean Conlon’s. I haven’t been out with him for a few years but he really knows his stuff and will do whatever style of fishing you want and give you lots of great info and tuition along the way. Very honest operator.

Yes I keep meaning to make a booking with him Steve. What did you target - squire and flatties? He certainly seems to have them sussed. 

3 minutes ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Yes I keep meaning to make a booking with him Steve. What did you target - squire and flatties? He certainly seems to have them sussed. 

First time was quite a while ago now and we wanted to learn about plastics fishing for flathead. Sean nailed it and we got some great fish. Second trip was to learn about trolling hardbody lures for snapper. Again, we got some good fish and learnt heaps. 

• 7 months later...

Don't go with them, dodgy as, lying operator.  I booked last year whole boat in october had to cancel due to weather that was fine no stress. Re booked for Nov got cancelled on because was having boat troubles. Next day vids posted at Tangalooma. Asked for money back this time as we moved up north.  Nothing, he stopped replying and gave sob story about why I couldn't have it back. Fast forward to today he won't reply to me and I've only received back 600 of the 1150 I paid. Even went out of my way to wait at a servo on the side of the highway for him as he said he'd meet there and give me cash. Meeting time came nothing, wouldn't pick up phone, hour later nothing. Left after 2 hrs waiting past time and he gets back to me immediately after I post on fb a review that he deleted immediately. 

On 06/10/2022 at 12:54 PM, geishbddjdn said:

Don't go with them, dodgy as, lying operator.  I booked last year whole boat in october had to cancel due to weather that was fine no stress. Re booked for Nov got cancelled on because was having boat troubles. Next day vids posted at Tangalooma. Asked for money back this time as we moved up north.  Nothing, he stopped replying and gave sob story about why I couldn't have it back. Fast forward to today he won't reply to me and I've only received back 600 of the 1150 I paid. Even went out of my way to wait at a servo on the side of the highway for him as he said he'd meet there and give me cash. Meeting time came nothing, wouldn't pick up phone, hour later nothing. Left after 2 hrs waiting past time and he gets back to me immediately after I post on fb a review that he deleted immediately. 

That sucks!  Next time you're down this way use a different phone number to try to book a trip - if he says he is booked for that day, meet at the ramp (unannounced) and confront him in front of that day's paying customers ........ 🙂. More than one way to skin a cat ..... 🙂.

Edited by kmcrosby78

• 1 month later...

Does anyone who has used them got a contact number? Booked with him this year, months ago. Cancelled twice due to weather, 3rd time due to putting boat in for a service. Kept telling us he would let us know if he got it back that afternoon so we could go the next day. We were always the ones following up. Ended up asking for money back, after sending a few messages were told this was okay, since has either deleted page or blocked us, and haven’t received our money back. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2022 at 3:52 PM, Jacynta said:

Does anyone who has used them got a contact number? Booked with him this year, months ago. Cancelled twice due to weather, 3rd time due to putting boat in for a service. Kept telling us he would let us know if he got it back that afternoon so we could go the next day. We were always the ones following up. Ended up asking for money back, after sending a few messages were told this was okay, since has either deleted page or blocked us, and haven’t received our money back. 

Did u get you money back?

22 hours ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

On every charter I have been on (which is only two different charters) I have done this, though one you could pay after.

Sorry don't understand your response? One charter was pay up front and one was pay after the charter?  Presume the latter required a deposit?

Would be good to hear from those who have been ripped off - presume that he requires up front payment in full otherwise his scam wouldn't work very well.

On 10/12/2022 at 1:43 PM, Skungie0 said:

I'm in the same boat as well, no pun intended. Paid in Feb and doubled payment for private charter after several cancellations. Been cancelled at least 5 times now where after the last one I was offered a refund. No refund came and I contacted him again and got a story the business needs sorting out and payment will be in by end of the week. Two weeks later no money back and as of today no response to texts. 

After reading this thread it appears to be this jokers modus operandi.  I'm going to go to Fair Trading and lodge a case. If anyone else is interested in joining please get in touch.

I would be interested in joining you as I am having the same issue. He keeps messaging me and stringing me along but no refund ever appears. This has been going on for 6 weeks. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/12/2022 at 8:15 PM, Diverj said:

I would be interested in joining you as I am having the same issue. He keeps messaging me and stringing me along but no refund ever appears. This has been going on for 6 weeks. 

Same issue to me. Been over a year now since December 2021. Anyone get money back here?

• 4 months later...
On 10/12/2022 at 2:43 PM, Skungie0 said:

I'm in the same boat as well, no pun intended. Paid in Feb and doubled payment for private charter after several cancellations. Been cancelled at least 5 times now where after the last one I was offered a refund. No refund came and I contacted him again and got a story the business needs sorting out and payment will be in by end of the week. Two weeks later no money back and as of today no response to texts. 

After reading this thread it appears to be this jokers modus operandi.  I'm going to go to Fair Trading and lodge a case. If anyone else is interested in joining please get in touch.

We are have same issues he keeps promising refund but we never receive anything. would love to join others to take him down and get our money back.