What Size Electric ?

ellicat

2 hours ago, leeroy1 said:

Hi Hweeba,

Yeah last one was ten years old and motherboard needed replacing again so bit the bullet and upgraded.

I didn't realise how much bigger this one is compared to the 48" Riptide.

What model did you get this time around? (Thrust, shaft length, voltage). Did you go with a version with the GPS link?

8 hours ago, Hweebe said:

@ellicat how did you wire up the heading sensor?

My boat is usually always plugged into the trickle charge so 12V is always "ON" but this would mean the heading sensor which wires straight to the 12V would be always "ON".

Thinking I may want to wire into an GPS/accessory switch.

I took it to Coorparoo Marine to wire up. They said the heading sensor install was a big pain in the butt, but I can't remember why. It's on the same power as the Minn Kota so would be drawing power until I turn the battery 'off'.

Maybe you could put an inline plug to connect/disconnect power ??

Gave the motor its first run today. It didn't catch me more fish (don't ask - there will be no report).

It wasn't strong enough to hold us on spot lock at the Rous, but that's a pretty strong current. It was a bit on the choppy side early on and the prop did get close to the surface a few times.

I used it to steer us around Fisherman's Gutter looking for whiting which was handy (and don't ask - there will be no report). The steering takes awhile to get used to. I drew some pretty squiggly lines on my chart plotter working it out. haha

Also, I was originally going to have the battery up the front end but it wouldn't fit like I imagined so the battery is down the back. A little bit longer to get on the plane but no sacrifice in top end speed.

If I had my time over again I would probably have gone the 80lb with a longer shaft. Still happy though.

6 minutes ago, ellicat said:

I know it's not a manly thing to do, but I had a quick read of the manual...haha. That's why I suggested it.
No choice in your case (or others with the same scenario).

Yep I always read the manuals. I don't have the electric going through the switch board but hooked to the same battery with it's own 50amp inline fuse.

The wiring is always the worst part of installs.

56 minutes ago, ellicat said:

Gave the motor its first run today. It didn't catch me more fish (don't ask - there will be no report).

It wasn't strong enough to hold us on spot lock at the Rous, but that's a pretty strong current. It was a bit on the choppy side early on and the prop did get close to the surface a few times.

I used it to steer us around Fisherman's Gutter looking for whiting which was handy (and don't ask - there will be no report). The steering takes awhile to get used to. I drew some pretty squiggly lines on my chart plotter working it out. haha

Also, I was originally going to have the battery up the front end but it wouldn't fit like I imagined so the battery is down the back. A little bit longer to get on the plane but no sacrifice in top end speed.

If I had my time over again I would probably have gone the 80lb with a longer shaft. Still happy though.

Sell it on here and swap. Should be easy now. I imagine the fittings and electrical should be the same so just disconnect and change over.

49 minutes ago, ellicat said:

I know it's not a manly thing to do, but I had a quick read of the manual...haha. That's why I suggested it.
No choice in your case (or others with the same scenario).

Hang your head in shame. No real man reads the destruction manual. Well they do, but they’d never admit it on the web!

On 29/07/2022 at 5:05 PM, ellicat said:

I took it to Coorparoo Marine to wire up. They said the heading sensor install was a big pain in the butt, but I can't remember why. It's on the same power as the Minn Kota so would be drawing power until I turn the battery 'off'.

Maybe you could put an inline plug to connect/disconnect power ??

I have the 24v version whilst the heading sensor is 12v so that wasn't an option.

On 29/07/2022 at 8:02 AM, Hweebe said:

@ellicat how did you wire up the heading sensor?

My boat is usually always plugged into the trickle charge so 12V is always "ON" but this would mean the heading sensor which wires straight to the 12V would be always "ON".

Thinking I may want to wire into an GPS/accessory switch.

i wired the heading sensor direct to the front (electric) 130ah agm battery. It recommended a 1amp fuse but i didnt bother. i have an inline 60amp circuit breaker to the electric which i break when charging the battery. i just use a supercheap 12v/16amp charger after a days fishing. charging doesnt seem to affect the heading sensor and it is not "on" (i.e. blue light not flashing) when the electric isnt on (but it still has power to it). my electric battery is separated from my house battery  (loop charged by my pull start 25) which runs my sounder, bilge, nav and anchor lights. i'm no sparky but so far this seems to be working for me.  13 ft tinny with ~40kg of batteries!

1 hour ago, Andrew_P said:

i wired the heading sensor direct to the front (electric) 130ah agm battery. It recommended a 1amp fuse but i didnt bother. i have an inline 60amp circuit breaker to the electric which i break when charging the battery. i just use a supercheap 12v/16amp charger after a days fishing. charging doesnt seem to affect the heading sensor and it is not "on" (i.e. blue light not flashing) when the electric isnt on (but it still has power to it). my electric battery is separated from my house battery  (loop charged by my pull start 25) which runs my sounder, bilge, nav and anchor lights. i'm no sparky but so far this seems to be working for me.  13 ft tinny with ~40kg of batteries!

Thanks @Andrew_P yeah i ended up just hard wiring the heading sensor to the boats 12v battery that is wired to all the other electrics. Like you say the heading sensor will remain powered but not "ON". If i really wanted to I could have wired to a switch but that would be annoying each time i want to use the trolling motor to have to switch on.

I went 24v LifePo4 100ah battery so this is completely separate from the main dual batteries I cheapped out on a no name LiFePo4 but at 27kg in total i wanted the weight saving and be able to draw down ~80% capacity compared to AGM. Will post how I go with the battery after a few cycles.

Brand name like Invicta batteries with 7 year warrant on Lithium was just too expensive to try.

I did install with a fuse as I had a spare Blade slot on the bus bar and at $1.10 from jaycar for the blade fuse it is cheap insurance for any shorts damaging the heading sensor or risk of fire (however small that risk is). I've played around with 12V in cars a long time and shorts breaking fuses have saved me more than a few times.

42 minutes ago, Hweebe said:

@ellicat how did the maiden voyage with the electric go? Still haven't got mine out on the water yet but keen to hear how you went figuring;

Autopilot, Spot Lock - Spot Lock Jog, Auto Cruise, Itracks etc

I forgot everything I'd read, so only used spot lock and steering. The steering took a bit of getting used to - oversteering and understeering saw me create quite an impressive set of squiggly lines on the GPS. 😳😂

The Spotlock was a bit hopeless in the rush of the Rous. We ended up anchoring.

19 minutes ago, ellicat said:

I forgot everything I'd read, so only used spot lock and steering. The steering took a bit of getting used to - oversteering and understeering saw me create quite an impressive set of squiggly lines on the GPS. 😳😂

The Spotlock was a bit hopeless in the rush of the Rous. We ended up anchoring.

What size length is ellicatch? weight? I went 80lb but thinking it also might not hold in Rous. 112lb was getting expensive and 36v required.