Arvo trip.

Leeroy

1 minute ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Looks like fun Leeroy. I've been seeing a fair few pics of squid from the Broadwater recently so hopefully you can get some !

Cheers Hamish

Thanks Hamish,

Had a chat with some guys at the ramp I was in the right depth and area and right jigs same as them so a matter of time I hope.

Only ever got them up at Inskip Point but never really targeted them here. 

4 minutes ago, Hweebe said:

Boats looking the goods on the water and some night arvo fishing photos. Great that u have a job that allows u to get on the water after work. 

Mates getting Tailor on main beach at night last week so they should surely be around in the Broadwater

Yeah from what I've heard they were further inside the Broadwater.

Boats good just got to fill the old speaker holes and do the hatch and step down in the foam decking and new rear light/epirb battery and get my lifejacket serviced and I'll be just about finished. 

It never ends.

3 minutes ago, ellicat said:

Nice one @Leeroy. Great way to end the day.

Have a look at this clip for some relevant up to date info.

Thanks @ellicatI think my problem was I had darker and pink jigs where as the other guys were using more natural colour. Also I was using 3.5 and 3 which may have been too heavy. 

My first 2 spots i struggled drifting with tide against wind even with the electric. 

10 hours ago, Leeroy said:

Thanks @ellicatI think my problem was I had darker and pink jigs where as the other guys were using more natural colour. Also I was using 3.5 and 3 which may have been too heavy. 

My first 2 spots i struggled drifting with tide against wind even with the electric. 

What sort of depths were you squiding in? I've only really targeted squid land based from Manly rock wall and we had to shave squid lure weights to slow the drop down to entice a squid.

12 hours ago, Leeroy said:

No good again today and I was about the only one crazy/stupid enough to be out there in the NE wind which I was hoping would drop out about 5 but just got worse.

Mate dropped 2 tailor got a good hit on the squid jig just no hook up.

Anyway still good to get out.

I always associated squidding with good clear water and westerly's - I would have quickly switched to Tailor after the first hookup 🙂

On 27/08/2022 at 10:23 AM, Leeroy said:

Got a couple yesterday Ellicat but missed a few too.

Felt the rod go down but no hookup for some reason. 

I watched the previous one he did.

20220826_104436.jpg

Anyone use sea water for their ice blocks? That's something i started doing with 2L containers for longer camping sessions and found it to quite a good / cheap hack. Just takes a few days longer to get the ice blocks frozen / cured

8 hours ago, Hweebe said:

Anyone use sea water for their ice blocks? That's something i started doing with 2L containers for longer camping sessions and found it to quite a good / cheap hack. Just takes a few days longer to get the ice blocks frozen / cured

Does anyone ever use dry ice? I see it on sale periodically at some outdoors stores. 

42 minutes ago, ellicat said:

I used to use it when camping for a few days, before I got my gas freezer.  It will keep things frozen when they are close to or touching it. Sometimes that is a good thing, sometimes not.

The trick is to put normal ice on top of the dry ice and store your fish etc surrounded by the normal ice. If you let the dry ice touch your food it just wrecks it.